Phillips 42PFP5332D - green light and flashing red light

kinetic3

Standard Member
Reaction score
I posted this same post in the below thread - and was told to start my own post/thread. Thanks in advance

Btw I have not tried using a hair dryer on the board - but tonight I will - and will update post. Also I will post pictures later to help out.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-televisions/400763-philips-plasma-blink-18.html

hello all - I have a Phillips 42PFP5332D/37 and it gives the single green light than 6 flashing red lights when the power button is pressed. If the power button is not pressed the six red lights will just flash pause and repeat.

I opened the back of the Plasma and was surprised to find that Samsung made the boards. Anyway - can anyone offer some help? I checked the caps and they all seem flush and not broken/popped. I can not seem to find any of the numbered capacitors that other posters have posted to look for.

Heck I can not even find anyone with a similar model number to my plasma...

If it helps I can post pictures of the boards/back of the plasma/anything... and the model numbers from inside the plasma.

Thanks in advice for any and all help

hair dryer did not work - post pictures later - still solid green light and 6 flashing red lights.

Any help on this - could it be the power board? Or capacitors?

Thanks

hair dryer did not work - post pictures later - still solid green light and 6 flashing red lights.

Any help on this - could it be the power board? Or capacitors?

Thanks

Hello kinetic3 & mvrban

does it smell 'fishy' ?

Whats this ringed on pcb ?

Good clear pictures what camera you using ?

sorry :oops: posted to wrong person this was to mvrban

Attachments

• img2932xb8 - Copy.jpg
    img2932xb8 - Copy.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,833
Last edited:
I had a look for known faults on this model but I'm afraid there are none listed, judging by your photo there is nothing obviously wrong with the capacitors in the power supply but you would need an ECR meter to check. It looks as though you will have to write it off or get an estimate for repair. A service manual may tell you what the sequence of LED's fault code is but it does point to a power supply problem.

the picture arkinsee posted is not my board - its from a user with a 50 vs the 42 I currently own.

Photos will be posted tonight - **crosses fingers**

Would it be better to get a new power board or buy a "broken plasma for parts" tv from ebay?

Just to make sure - the power board is the board in the middle of the tv?
Also would calling Phillips do any good?

the picture arkinsee posted is not my board - its from a user with a 50 vs the 42 I currently own.

Photos will be posted tonight - **crosses fingers**

Would it be better to get a new power board or buy a "broken plasma for parts" tv from ebay?

Just to make sure - the power board is the board in the middle of the tv?
Also would calling Phillips do any good?

hello kinetic3

sorry my bad :rolleyes::oops:

images attached - tell me what you think -

Attachments

• IMG_0092-mod.JPG
    IMG_0092-mod.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_0094-mod.JPG
    IMG_0094-mod.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,068
  • IMG_0093-mod.JPG
    IMG_0093-mod.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 831
  • IMG_0099-mod.JPG
    IMG_0099-mod.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_0100-mod.JPG
    IMG_0100-mod.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 826
images attached - tell me what you think -

Nothing obviously wrong in the photos you supplied, the capacitor tops all look pretty flat but as I said without testing them with an ECR meter you can't be 100% sure. Can you look at the other PCB's in particular bulging capacitor tops they should be flat and not bulging it may give a clue as to where the fault lies.

You may be able to source a replacement power supply board from ebay.

Contacting Philips, they will probably refer you to dealer and a replacement power supply if aviailable would cost £200-£300.

Nothing obviously wrong in the photos you supplied, the capacitor tops all look pretty flat but as I said without testing them with an ECR meter you can't be 100% sure. Can you look at the other PCB's in particular bulging capacitor tops they should be flat and not bulging it may give a clue as to where the fault lies.
Whats an ECR meter? where can I find one?
I can supply photos of the capicitors up close.... will try and do this tonight

You may be able to source a replacement power supply board from ebay.
There are some boards on ebay - my concern is, if I buy a new board - how long before that one goes....??

Contacting Philips, they will probably refer you to dealer and a replacement power supply if aviailable would cost £200-£300.
Thank you for your help really appreciate it!!!

I will get some photos tonight....

But can someone tell me what an ECR is?

OK I took more photos of the tv board capacitors....

One thing a poster in the "tv on the blink" thread posted something about removing the the connectors to the main power board or the Y board... Anyway I am not sure if this matters or proves this is a power board issue. But when I removed one of the connectors (specifically two - i have a pic of them) to the board - no more flashing lights --- the tv wont turn on but hey I think I am getting somewhere...

the first photo in the first row shows three connectors two white and one grey - the white ones if disconnected make the flashing lights go away - but specifically these two ...I can remove any other connector and the flashing green and then 6 red lights will still occur...

Thanks again for the help

Attachments

• IMG_0117-mod.JPG
    IMG_0117-mod.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_0107-mod.JPG
    IMG_0107-mod.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_0109-mod.JPG
    IMG_0109-mod.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0111-mod.JPG
    IMG_0111-mod.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_0112-mod.JPG
    IMG_0112-mod.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_0113-mod.JPG
    IMG_0113-mod.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_0114-mod.JPG
    IMG_0114-mod.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_0116-mod.JPG
    IMG_0116-mod.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
Just called phillips - just to "check" about warranty and service.

Phillips does have a one year manufacturer's warranty and if anything goes wrong they will replace/fix the TV with no cost to me (seems decent). They would send out a tech to my place and fix the TV and then leave...

**now for the extremely funny part**

However, if I want to get a warranty (and was within the 1 year purchase date) I could purchase a 3 year warranty from Phillips for the amazingly low price of $600 usd. No warranty outside the 1 year manufacturer warranty.

reference numbers
Contact Phillips basic tech support USA - 1-888-744-5477
Contact Phillips warranty service USA 1-866-309-9913

The fun continues

I am not sure about the warranty - I got the TV from a friend - I know he gave up on the TV about 6 months ago. And I just acquired it 2 weeks ago.

What I am sure of is the boards inside the TV have a 2007 date... I could get lucky - I will try calling Phillips with the serial number later and seeing if its within the warranty period.

If its not within the warranty period - I would like to try and fix it or get something from eBay. Which-ever would be easiest .... and of course cheapest.

bump

Any help? Anything I can try? Should I try and locate an ESR meter? Buy new boards? How can I tell which board is bad?

bump

Any help? Anything I can try? Should I try and locate an ESR meter? Buy new boards? How can I tell which board is bad?

Well, you really are systematically approaching the problem.

Did I get this right?

1) You purchase a broken TV and you are to repair the thing

2) Then first thing is to produce a screwdriver and open up the Plasma TV's case by which you redeem your entire guarantee in the first place, regardless of buying date.

3) And then you are calling Philips and seriously ask them whether or not you have guarantee on the TV which is probably spread all over in its different fragments by now?

:rtfm:

You might not believe this, but accidently I had exactly the same TV you have. Oh how I would like to help you, but If you would have posted BEFORE you open up your whole thing, it would have been one hell of a lot easier.

Sorry, I am no technician.

1) the tv was given to my by a friend - it has not been working for a while - about 6 months +

2) The warranty call to Phillips was just to see if they would fix it vs me trying to replace a board which is bad. Going from the "philips tv on the blink" thread I figured people could help me solve my problem "systematically" by eliminating certain things that could easily determine what is wrong with the Plasma

3) The pictures I posted show the TV still in one piece - which it is

A very generous poster on here is sending me the service manual so I can figure out how to fix this.

I will keep this thread up to date with any technical updates - for future posters who can learn from my experience.

Thanks for your help!!

kinetic

Kinetic, did you ever get that service manual? I have the same TV with the same problem and am going to attempt to repair it. If you have that manual and feel like sending it along it would be much appreciated. I'll let you know if I have any luck with the repair.

Have you fixed yours yet?

Kinetic, did you ever get that service manual? I have the same TV with the same problem and am going to attempt to repair it. If you have that manual and feel like sending it along it would be much appreciated. I'll let you know if I have any luck with the repair.

Have you fixed yours yet?
I did get the service manual - While I am a technical guy - I am not an electrical **technical** guy. Some of the stuff reads in Chinese to me.

I even had a guy come out and look at it - he said it was the PCB (thats the main one in the center of the TV). He started to solder the bottom of the board - I asked him to stop before being charged 350 usd. He said Philips TVs are not the best and there can be varying things wrong with them even if two TVs display the same error.

I wish I could tell what was wrong (if its a simple job of a capacitor or if it is a whole new board) - even the remote that was received with the set is not functional. I was going to buy a PCB off of ebay this week - I may hold off if you are going to try .

PM me your email addy....

btw please keep this thread going with any updates.... can you post pictures also?

Thanks

kinetic

I heard that it was either the SSB or the power board. My TV flips the relay as soon as it is plugged in then I get flashing red lights. All fuses on all boards were okay. I am not sure what else to look at. Can anyone post or email the service manual?

Thanks,
Ced

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom