Phillips 42PF7321, need help with black bar please.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by TheDave24, Jan 1, 2007.

1. TheDave24

TheDave24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I just bought the 42" Phillips 42PF7321 yesterday from my work and set it up at home. Now my problem is that when I have it on there is a huge black bar going vertical just down the right side. If I change my ratio to 4:3 then it adds another on the left so its kind of reverse widescreen.

Now I figured on regular cable maybe I had to watch it that way, so I put in a widescreen dvd so that I could watch it 16:9 but it does the same thing, large vertical black bar on the right side. Only way to fix it is to change it back to 4:3 but then my new 42" is showing about as much picture as my old 32". It does have a setting to change the picture to Auto, widescreen, 16:9, 4:3 and another but all the other settings do is cut off part of the picture and display the bar on the right. I cant get the picture to fill the whole screen. This tv is on display at my work and playing The Incredibles dvd and its full screen so I am lost.

I dont have HD cable just basic. Dvd is plugged in through S video, same with PS2. Is there something I am just not getting or do I have to change to component cables or something? I dont want to be stuck in 4:3 because I am worried about burn in because I cant display full screen. Can some one please tell me what I am doing wrong :lease:

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Set TV to auto.
    DVD settings to 16:9 not 4:3 or 4:3 letterbox and RGB
    Cable box to 16:9 not 4:3 and RGB if poss.
    If the DVD or cable box is set to RGB make sure they are connected to a RGB enabled Scart socket.
    If your DVD has component out and progressive use this connection far better than Scart.

3. TheDave24

TheDave24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the quick response. I changed tv back to auto, so now the black bar is back on the right. For the cable box (comcast basic cable) i couldnt find an option under menu< that allowed me to change it from 4:3.I've noticed that unless its on 4:3 then there will be picture missing on the side of the screen. For example when I go to my tv options part of the writing disappears once it reaches the bar. Everything besides the PS2/DvD player which are Svid everthing else is setup with composite cables.

4. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Penny has now dropped, I assume you are in the states. Had a look at the Comcast site and yes! that cable box is VERY basic. But the DVD menu will need changing to 16:9 and as I stated before if you component out then use it.