1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips 36PW9607, first day thoughts

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Serpico, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Comet delivered my new tv and dvdr today. To my eyes it's an imposing yet good looking set, but how did it perform?

For some reason the first thing I watched on it was a couple of episodes of Buffy on dvd. I was quite disappointed. The picture just wasn't as wonderful as I was expecting. Then I remembered reading that early Buffy seasons were filmed on inferior quality film (non 35mm or something) so decided to stick something else in. I plumped for The Fifth Element and was immediately blown away by how clear the picture was. Genuinely impressive, particularly for the size of the screen.

Picture quality on Sky Digital is pretty good, though nowhere near as excellent as Fifth Element was. Perhaps I should have invested in a top quality scart lead for the digibox as well as the dvd. I'll swap the gold scart onto the digibox tomorrow and see how it goes.

The sound is awesome. Clear, loud and bassy enough, even without the optional subwoofer. I hope my neighbours are deaf.

It's still early days, but I'm a very happy bunny so far. And I haven't even started to play with the dvd recorder.

2. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Glad you're happy with your set. I love mine too.

The DVD quality through it is fantastic, isn't it.

I did want to ask you though, and not wanting to dampen your entusiasm for your new toy, but have you noticed any faint staining on your set yet? I have a few patches all over the screen, but am getting the set swapped out for a new one, but would be interested to hear if you have noticed any of these patches.

I'm sure that I have a lemon, so i'm sure yours is okay.

Thanks,

Matthew

3. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Serpico,

I have a question regarding the 36PW9607 & Sky box. I too think the DVD picture quality is fantastic. However I do find some of the images from the Sky box a bit cra*py.

For example Sky Sport News seems to be blurry, however programs like Eastenders on BBC1 look fantastic. Do you get different quality between channels?

I also noticed the ticker at the bottom of the screen on RI:SE seems to not be square to the screen on SKY 104, however through the normal TV it looks fine.

I have tweeked various settings regarding contrast, screen size, etc but, I don't think I've found the optimum settings just yet.

Cheers - Mojo

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Matthew

You probably read my post to your earlier post on staining. I suspect most sets suffer to some extent, the odd one is free of it. I suppose keep swapping till you get one you can live with.

Picture quality from Sky is very variable. The past few nights, last night especially when it was chucking it down, most channels have ben poor. Even BBC1 which is usually good. I watched most of last night on analogue terrestrial which was much better than the digital reception. Other times the Sky feed is excellent, especially movies. So not the set, you just have to grin and bear it.

5. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am also a proud owner of a 9607 and can only comment on the analogue picture, as I've not got Sky as yet. Not had any problems and both analogue and DVD are great, with excellent sound on DVD's especially.

Totally used to Pixel Plus now and never turn it off, and the good thing is it enhances both analogue and DVD transmissions extremely well.

Enjoy the tv!

B.

6. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    I don't think there is a better set for DVD picture quality than the 9607, providing the settings are right, I also suffer a little with slight staining although mine seems to be a slight dark line vertically about 4 inches in from the left side as you look at it, it is a niggle but hardly noticeable.

The sky picture is usually perfect, I find switching between BBC1 through coax then 101 on sky shows you exactly how good it is, I would agree that some channels on sky can be variable in quality though however in most cases I think this probably down to the source material, I guess if you are watching fawlty towers on UK Gold you can't exactly expect quality to thye standard of a superbit DVD ;)

All in all despite the few posters that seem to hate evrything about the philips set I am very happy with my 9607 and I spent just under 2k without a free DVD-R so that has to be saying something :D

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Serpico,
    Firstly, pleased your happy.
    Don't worry about staining on screen, if you have it contact Comet and arrange for an engineer to call, he will bring his de-gausser and solve that.
    Sky Digital is variable as mentioned, but check you have your set is connected using the RGB scart setting for the AV your digibox is connected to. If using other than RGB the picture is not at best.
    Likewise your DVD.:)

8. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had an engineer come round with his de-gausser to sort out my colour staining.

As soon as he saw it, he said that de-gaussing it wouldn't make any difference at all - it was a tube fault.

I kinda didn't believe him and asked him to humour me and de-gauss it anyway, with which he gladly obliged. he gave it quite a few good sweeps/circles over.

Didn't make a blind bit of difference.

The engineer puffed out his chest, sniffed loudly, said he'd recommend a replacement and left :)

Still waiting for them to come into stock for a new one...

Never mind

Matt

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Matt,
    If it was a mail order engineer, he wouldn't know how to use a de-gausser, many of them are ex-Sky fitters.
    Better luck with your replacement.