1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips 32PW9618 vs Sony KV32FX68

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by wadeall, Aug 23, 2004.

1. wadeall

wadeall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planing on buying a new Widescreen to replace my excellent but ageing Toshiba 32 inch traditional TV (which I am passing on to my parents).
    Would like to keep expenditure lower than £750 if possible.

I already have a AV amp through which I play the sound so am not too concerned about sound. On paper the Phillips is a winner (Is it a discontinued model explaining the discounts that are available?) The connectivity seems great especially 4 scarts and digital sound out. The Phillips has got great reviews, but I've been put off by the generally negative feedback on reliabiulity and picture distortion in consumer reviews. Basically the extra picture processing seems to be the cource of problems plus unreliability. is this corect with this particular model? The alternative I am thinking about is the Sony KV3268C which seems like a pretty unsophisticaled TV, but alos seems to achieve high customer satisfcation. I understand it is weak in sound, but that shouldnt ,matterif I am playing it through my AV amp in any case. Any feedback appreciated.

Wade

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi wadeall,

I bought the Philips 36PW9618 (similar to the 32PW9618) four months ago and have been so delighted with this television. A few of us bought one at the time and you can read lots of posts in April and May with the title of "Philips 36PW9618". Maybe we were lucky to have good examples of this tv or maybe Philips had ironed out earlier problems. A lot of the negative comments on different televisions on this forum would not have been noticed by the general public. We have extremely critical eyes and ears here! A friend, who has a Panasonic PD30, regrets not buying the Philips.
    The picture and sound are superb. There are so many excellent features on this television and I was constantly changing the settings initially as factory settings are always weird. The remote control is so easy to use and is very smart and heavy, nothing flimsy there. I love the look of the television and everything about it so I would say "Go ahead and buy it". The picture will delight you and the sound through your AV amp will be wonderful. If you buy one I hope you get a good model or you'll blame me forever!

3. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would strongly advise that you first have a look at real broadcast pictures on any TV that has picture processing technology (such as Pixel Plus) because they really seem to divide opinion. What some people see as 'detailed' other people describe as 'noisey and un-natrual' so "try before you buy" would be my advice to anyone who is considering buying one of these TVs based on the rave reviews of others.