1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips 32PW9509 Sky aspect switching

Discussion in 'TVs' started by georgey58, Jun 23, 2005.

1. georgey58

georgey58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Phillips Phillips 32PW9509 after my previous 28" Phillips went bang (literally). My old set switched between 16*9 and 4*3 broadcast material automatically (with auto format mode switched on), but no matter how I play with the settings on the Phillips 32PW9509, I can't get it to do this. Instead it stretches 4*3 pictures to fll the whole screen. Is there a setting for the Sky STB and this TV which supports auto aspect switching? If there isn't I'm going to have to try and take the set back as I can't stand having to do it manually all the time.

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Yes there is a setting on your sky box to output in either 16/9 or 4/3.
    These issues are also affected by scart leads/sockets.
    Was your old TV 4/3
    This issue causes many people problems.
    Nigel

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Georgey,

Nigel has given you the right answers to your question. It's the set top box aspect that needs to be set to 16:9 and left on that as most new programmes nowadays seem to be in that mode. I never alter mine, but do have to change the television aspect. Make sure you have a fully screened, 21 pins connected Scart lead as this is important too. I would imagine you have as your old tv coped with 16:9.

I have a Philips 36PW9618 with 7 aspects. Auto format; super zoom; 4:3; movie expand 14:9; movie expand 16:9; subtitle zoom; widescreen. When I bought it a year ago we tended to keep it on auto format and this seemed to cope with most wider aspect filmed programmes. It didn't automatically adjust for 4:3 programmes as I thought it would. I tended to use movie expand 14:9 for that as the 4:3 picture had such wide black bars either side. Now I find there are mostly widescreen pictures, particularly on BBC. and newer Sky programmes, so I leave it on 16:9 Also I find the subtitle zoom best for 4:3 now. I give my findings as I'm not sure what aspects you have on your tv. If you watch mostly older programmes, i.e. UK Gold change your Sky box to 4:3.

My friend has a new expensive tv and she complained that it didn't alter automatically so it must be a common problem. I have a Sony upstairs with four aspects, 4:3, Smart, Zoom and Wide, and that doesn't alter automatically either. I agree it's a bit of a pain. As more and more programmes change to widescreen it will become less of a problem. My husband seems unaware of what aspect he's watching as long as it's a favourite programme! We, on this forum, want perfection!!!

4. georgey58

georgey58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks and you are right. I've got used to perfection and really dislike having to switch manually to 4*3 to watch UKTV in the right aspect ratio after watching BBC or a DVD. I don't mind the black bars for the 4*3 channels. As my old Philips managed this trick, I'd hoped this one would do it too. Does anyone know of a 32" set that does cope with aspect ratio signalling? :suicide:

5. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    If you remove one of the wires/pins on your scart lead it will disable automatic switching ,(disconnect pin8 of the SCART).
    Nigel

6. georgey58

georgey58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but I don't want to disable the switching. I want the set to react to it instead of analysing the picture and doing some strange zoom in to 4*3 material to make it fill the tube (which is what happens in auto mode). I've discovered that the older (and cheaper) Philips 32PW6518 will react to switching signals. So I'm taking the32PW9509 back and buying a 32PW6518. Means I don't get all the picture quality options, but I'm finding I have to switch pixel plus 2 off most of the time anyway on Sky... and I save £350!!
    I do hope that by the time I come to upgrade to a flat screen, that manufacturers have realised that some people want to see programmes in the shape the producers intended without wading through menus to do so. :thumbsdow