1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips 32PW6517 and its so called faults

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Square eyes, May 16, 2004.

1. Square eyes

Square eyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My old tv just gave up the ghost the other day so ive orderd this phillips tv and its being deliverd tuesday :) Currys shop price was 699 there web price 550 went to the shop and they said they would do it for 550

I have read a few threads on here saying there are faults with this tv (brightness during Tesco adds for example)

I have also read faults for what seems like every other wide screen under the sun

Are these faults really that bad ? or are you lot a picky bunch of anoraks ? :)

The matsui 28 inch i had for 4 years seemed fine for tv's dvds so when i saw the picture on this phillips i was impressed with the colours\brightness compared to my old matsui(must have just got used to it)

Is it not a good tv at 550 notes for a viewer that is not an anorak ? :)

2. andrewm

andrewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't expect help form other users if you insult them first!

3. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353

think some1 didnt see the smilie face, think it was meant tongue in cheek m8.........

4. andrewm

andrewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok fair enough, but he didn't get any replies, so maybe I'm not the only one who missed the point :) :) :) :)

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Right square eyes, here we go!

There are people on this forum that may take offense to being called a picky bunch of anoracks, ment as an insult or tounge in cheek.

Faults on tvs are all realative and it depends on what you personaly are willing to put up with. I my self have recently gone through 4 tvs in the last month . All of them had faults that I was not prepared to put up with for the money I spent. If you pay up to £2000.00 for a tv then although not perfect it should not have any faults that interfere with your generall watching pleasure.A minor bend on a cheap matusi tv for instence would be more aceptable than on a panasonic tx36pd30 which is supposed to be one of the best C.R.Ts out there.
    My advice would be to get proper demos of any tv you want to purchase then make a choice. If once the tv has been installed in your home and it is not what you expected from the demo you had, then again it depends on what you pesonaly want to put up with!!. I saw a demo of the thoshiba picture frame 2 tv in the shop. very good picture through component inputs. Once I had got mine and startred to watch it at home I noticed very bad bowing along the top of the screen. this was not something I personaly wanted to put up with so it went back. Imagine watching a wide screen film with the black bars along the top looking like they are smiling at you!! This is not something I would think anyone would want to put up with weather they use these forums or not.

Any way, here endeth the lesson :lesson: ;)

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The flashing on large areas of brightness is not too serious and seems to get a little better with time.

Just turn the Contrast down to 60-66 and it should be fine.

This tube is the best I've seen, very sharp, colourfull and with bags of detail, typical Philips.

I have the 6506 which is virtually the same.

7. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with Wayne, I've had the 32PW6515 (same tube) for a couple of years now and its a great TV. I was dreading getting it at the time due to the reported faults but I noticed the majority of the faults were with the 28" model. Loads of other models have all sorts of faults and the main ones I've seen in shops has been scrolling lines and fishbowl effects. If I thought anything was wrong with my set, even at the £650 I paid for it, I would have sent it back. Hope yours is OK!

8. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought this model about 2 months ago and returned it after 3 weeks!

First and foremost because of the faulty sound. Went from bad to worse and finally absolutely unacceptable. The normal, intended sound was accompanied by a dark, noisy sound like the sound when a radio isn't tuned at the right frequency. Even in silent passages of a movie or other content this noise was often heard, and it had nothing to do with events or effects of a movie. From the beginning it was obvious with the pre-settings in "Music" and worst "Theater". Less obvious, but irritating with "Personal". Only with "Talk" the noise disappeared, but so did most of the joy of sound! No change of the settings for bass or treble made any difference. The same for stereo and mono. Gradually the noise became worse and unbearable, also with the preset "Personal".

Other faults: Bad geometry. A circle wasn't perfect round. Far from. It would be let's say 14,3 inches wide and 13,4 inches high! And the not symmetric. On 16:9 with two supposed equal circles, the left was 13,1 and the right one 12,5 inches wide. Widest near the left edge. And extreme narrow near the right edge. So the persons in the picture changed form, moving around on the screen! The picture was leaning downwards at the top and upwards at the bottom, making the logo straight and the subtitles not so straight or the opposite way around! The right third of the screen had a discolourization which was very disturbing with black and white content.

Most of the danish section of the manual was in swedish, and I noticed that you had better learn finnish if you was a portuguese!

There was no mention of the country where the TV was manufactured, but the manual was printed in Hungary.

The overall impression was sloppiness.

I owned and returned an older model, but with another chassis (A10 instead of L01 LS), Philips 32PW6526, last year. The primary cause was the socalled sync pulse delay fault that made the picture shift 0,3 inches to the right (mostly it is left), using RGB. The secondary cause was bad convergence.

Now I'm the owner of a Philips 32PW6506, also an older model, (with the chassis L01 E1). It has geometry flaws in the same direction as the 6517, but less. Also it has slight double contours and colour bleeding. With RGB there are some "black clipping"/"black crushing". As with the 6517 you simply can't use the sound pre-settings "Music" and "Theater" because of the same noisy "extra" sound. But until now the sound is just acceptable with the setting "Personal". Wonder if the Virtual Dolby feature (the 6506, 6515, 6516, 6517 and the new 6518 models have all got it, but the 6526 has "Dolby Pro-Logic 3D Surround with 4 onboard speakers plus subwoofer) and the construction of the speakers to achieve that (useless!) effect is the cause of the sound problems? All the same 6506 (and 6517) has fine details, acceptable grey shades and colours that please me, so I'll give Philips a chance.