Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

phillips 329986 with denon 1910 dvd

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by chris210972, Jan 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there ,

i was hoping someone could help me.

i have ordered a philips 329986 lcd and i am also thinking about buying a denon 1910 dvd player so i can make use of both the dvi sockets.

my question is, would the dvi picture (connected as above) be much better than using a standard pro scan dvd player using the dvi/component/vga adapters supplied with the tv?

i'm not sure what to buy,
    the denon 1910 and a dvi cable or a pro scan player (pioneer 575) with a component lead.

please advise

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Chris,

Using a Progressive Scan DVD player hooked to to the 9986's DVI connection as you describe will provide you with a 576p (progressive) picture. This picture is not scaleable so really only works well with Anamorphc 2.35:1 DVD's. It leaves a black band top and bottom approx 40mm wide. Picture quality is excellent and, of course can be further enhanced with the PP2 - effectively doubling the number of active pixels. Conventional Widescreen movies can, of course, be watched through a scaleable RGB Scart connection, if required. Picture quality with this feed is only a little inferior to the Progressive one, and not quite as smooth with fast movement.

Direct connection with a HD DVD player can produce 720p which is as well suited as you can get for this TV, short of using external scalers. This produces a similarly high quality picture, and allows conventional widescreen pictures to nearly fill the screen. You are left with an approx 8mm black band top and bottom. This, with PP2 running is awesome.

It's up to you entirely as to which machine to purchase. If the budget is 'fluid' go HDMI!

Ensure you have a DVI/HDMI adaptor.

Jimmy