1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips 32"/37" 9976/9986

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Mr. C, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Mr. C

Mr. C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is a tough question to answere, basically down to me, but really would like your opinion.
    I'm trying to decide one of the above, 9976 32" is available for me at about 2200euros; the 32" 9986 at 3100 euros and the 9986 37" at 3700 euros. First, is the 9986 really worth the extra 1000 euros? The ambi-light seems to be a "nice to have" feature and regarding the PP2 compared to PP1? No idea really. Does like the design of the 9986 as well, but the 9976 is not that bad either...
    As for the 37" screen, looking at The lord of the Rings, it was really not that nice. Looking from perhaps 2m distance there was no problem seeing pixelation (is that the rigth word?) in green fields and in grey areas. In one of the fighting scenes the screen seemed to be lagging as well. According to the salesman, this is a problem with large LCD:s, is this correct? I could imagine this beeing a problem with lousy signal, DVD going through a switch with 4 inputs and 1 output (red and gold color seemed to be having a water-fall effect in them as well). Perhaps even using S-video signal from the DVD, not sure about the connections.
    Or in shorter words; "cheap" 9976, a nicer looking design from the 9986 for 1000 euros more or a bigger screen if the problems are only down to signal-quality? And how much more would you apreciate the extra 5"? Or wait for the 37" LG LED-LCD comming begining of april (price at about 2500 euros)?

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you are able to provide good quality sources, the 9976 is fine. Don't underestimate the Ambilight though, it is a bit special!

Viewing distance is vital. If you are watching from 2 - 4 meters, then the 32" would be best. Viewing from 3 - 5 meters then the 37" would suit.

Good quality sources with good quality connections will make these TV's perform at their best. TV's in shops are rarely set up correctly, dispalying crummy pictures from crummy feeds....

Jimmy

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    What is this LED-LCD coming in April??

4. Mr. C

Mr. C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG has announced that they are releasing a "new" type of display early april, modell-name 37-RZ-31 IIRC, where the backlight is made by light emitting diodes rather than the normal light used in LCDs which lights up the entire back-plane. The LEDs are supposed to light up 10 pixels each (probably 7 or 9 pixels I assume). This should improve the black level (and increase contrast?). Think they also use RGB-diodes which also improves color reproduction, but that I might have mixed up with another screen. Anyway, if they only emitts white light, it is really white and doesn't have that blue tone to it which gives the somewhat cold light which is seen in the LCDs. Don't know how good LG is with respect to quality though.
    The signal in the store was not as bad as it usually is in stores, they used one DVD-player for each display, the 37" was however routed through a switch to be able to switch sources, but still only one set connected to the actual DVD.
    I'm using analog cabel as input signal, don't think I will go for digital input yet. Perhaps I really should get a 32" 9986 (would you think it's likely to drop in price a bit further in a moth ot two?). Do like the design of that set, just can't make up my mind if it's worth the extra £700 (roughly). The 9976 just droped by about £375, thus I think it's on it's way out replaced by the 9986?

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9976 and the 9986 are different animals altogether, so the 9986 is not a replacement for the 9976. The 9976 has never been a big seller despite it being a fantastic TV so the price will drop and stay low. The 9986 is still in great demand, so its prices have actually risen slightly in the past few weeks. However, the price will probably drop again in the next month or two as the new 9380 prepares to launch.

This is an upgrade on the 9986 with the same chassis and a number of tech improvements, providing, alledgedly, an even better PQ! This will probably hit the market at afairly high initial price. (£2500 - £3000)

Jimmy

6. dickie

dickie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  7. mackers

mackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought my 37Pf9986 from :

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/page.xp?pageid={CC17F51A-053B-4ACE-8CA1-A843FBA360F8}&SESSIONID=211229242257&DS=1&TS=0404262555&type=focus&doctype=article&focus=640211&focuslayout=full5&focuslayout=full5&history=add

3260 Euro = 70 for deleivery.

As you will see there prices are good and the best I have found in Europe.

,Mackers

8. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats £2250 - do they ship to the UK?

9. mackers

mackers

Products Owned: