Phillips 24" TV rebooting ?!

R

rookesta

Hi everyone, :hiya:

Whilst i've been reading the forums for quite a while and finding them an essential of AV life, this is my first post, so i apologise if i drone on a bit, but any advice would be gratefully received.

To cut a long story short, i've got a 3 year old Phillips 24" fully flat tube tv which is my pride an joy, if not a little small by todays standards. Recently, it seems when warming up for the 1st hour or so it will randomly switch itself off to standby or instantly back on. When it first happened i thought i was leaning against the remote!

It's been in the tb shop for the past 3 days and it's only done it twice with them and because it is so intermittant, they can't track the fault. :mad:

Can anyone please give me any hint as to what it might be? I've read some where that a sony one had a similar fault, but i can't find that article anymore.
Any help to stop the labour price going through the roof while they try and figure it out would be GRATELY appreciated!
Many thanks

Hi
TVs switch themselves off to protect the circuitry when there is a fault inside the TV, the fault could be anywhere.
Anyone able to dianose the problem would need the model number and a more detailed discription of how it switches off. Does the picture collapse from the sides, top/bottom, or just as if switched off.
But the engineers in the workshop are the ones who should know best.

Nigel

rookesta said:
Hi everyone, :hiya:

Whilst i've been reading the forums for quite a while and finding them an essential of AV life, this is my first post, so i apologise if i drone on a bit, but any advice would be gratefully received.

To cut a long story short, i've got a 3 year old Phillips 24" fully flat tube tv which is my pride an joy, if not a little small by todays standards. Recently, it seems when warming up for the 1st hour or so it will randomly switch itself off to standby or instantly back on. When it first happened i thought i was leaning against the remote!

It's been in the tb shop for the past 3 days and it's only done it twice with them and because it is so intermittant, they can't track the fault. :mad:

Can anyone please give me any hint as to what it might be? I've read some where that a sony one had a similar fault, but i can't find that article anymore.
Any help to stop the labour price going through the roof while they try and figure it out would be GRATELY appreciated!
Many thanks

You cannot compare two different Manufacturers sets with the same fault symptoms as the designs are completely different.
The full model no of the set would be handy but if it is a widescreen 24in Philips model the crt is highly suspect and has been known to give these symptoms......was there a colour cast (one colour predominant) before the set cut out?
The labour charge should not be mounting........any reputable repair co would in most cases where they are "soak testing" a set have a fixed charge and only charge per hour when they are actually fault-finding/repairing.

thanks for your quick replies guys, the model no is Philips 24PW6518, i don't have all the digits to hand as it's in the repair shop at the moment.

As far as i can remember, there was no colour change, picture change when it went off and on. It was almost as if someone pressed the remote off then on quickly. If anything, when it was off the red led on the front went a bit brighter briefly, and then the tv came back on.

If its tube related, I'm guessing that it's not worth getting it fixed, would this be something that would get worse over time until one day it just stays off?

thanks again

rookesta said:
thanks for your quick replies guys, the model no is Philips 24PW6518, i don't have all the digits to hand as it's in the repair shop at the moment.

As far as i can remember, there was no colour change, picture change when it went off and on. It was almost as if someone pressed the remote off then on quickly. If anything, when it was off the red led on the front went a bit brighter briefly, and then the tv came back on.

If its tube related, I'm guessing that it's not worth getting it fixed, would this be something that would get worse over time until one day it just stays off?

thanks again

If it is the 24in widescreen crt.........it is no longer available and would be a write-off I'm afraid.....if it was available repair wouldn't be cost-effective. :thumbsdow

that's what i feared, oh well. Do you happen to know off the top of your head a decent 28" crt widescreen to go for? I always thought Philips did good tv's

Hi

Just been to Tesco's today, 28" Sony £300
Although you may want to consider a digital TV.

All depends what your needs are - low cost, good sound, ect

If your Philips is a write off after 3 years, you could try for a discount/refund from Philips.
Do a search for "sale of goods act" 3 years is not long enough.

Nigel

Thanks for the tip Nigel, the ironic thing is it's not dead as a dodo yet, it only seems to happen during the first hour or so but when it's warmed up its fine. It cant be doing itself any good though switching itself off then on.

Then again, 28" crts aren't that much nowadays anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom