1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Video Sender & Telewest

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by barrylorimer, Aug 29, 2003.

1. barrylorimer

barrylorimer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've just purchased a Philips VL1200 Video Sender, only to dicover that it is not fully compatible with my Telewest Digibox. This is down to the fact that the remote control for telewest use IRDA, which is not supported by the sender.

Does anyone know of a way around this problem, other than getting off my lazy butt and changing the channel in the living room?

Any help would be greatfully received.

Cheers, Barry.

2. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try to wangle a new box out of Telewest? The latest ones support "normal" IR.

3. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    there is a link to "let's automate"s site that features an IRDA compatible IR sender. That's what I'm going to try.

http://www.letsautomate.com/10850.cfm?

It does seem strange no one makes an AV sender that has IRDA built in as a large proportion of digi-cable viewers must have the same requirement.

4. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    I use the red eye converter (from lets automate) and this allows you to use a normal video sender (which you have now).
    You have to buy an All for One 4way (digital) remote as well. (£20). It converts RC5 to IRDa.

Works well and has the advantage of having a remote that can be used for other devices as well. You would have to purchase an additional remote for your Pace anyway.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I use redeye too. Just to clear up, if you have redeye on the box, both your pace irda remote and any programmed universal will work in the room there, and any universal but not the original remote will work via the sender. A pronto is the ideal remote, as you can download the program for it, whereas others have to learn the hard way, takes a long time if you've got all the channels. Though this might be a good time to not bother with macros for QVC etc.

Summing up, you buy the redeye and at least one universal learning remote, does not need to be anything specific. You don't need to convert RC5 to irda, that's what the redeye does.

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fairly sure the "Digisender Gold DG400" supports IRDA. Take a look at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3.htm

Fman

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think that one does as well, just you need a remote in each room anyway, so unless you can get another pace remote you are going to need the redeye, and having gone that far why worry about irda any more.

8. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Mod... That happened to my first reply to this thread..?

Found it..! Good old Barry has got two threads on the go..!

9. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can also use a Philips DTX3670 remote to control the box via Red-Eye - this also has basic controls for most TVs and VCRs - available for £10 from a source listed on the Red-Eye site www.redremote.co.uk

Incidentally Red-Eye uses RC6, not RC5

10. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Following my earlier reply, I set up a digi-eye IRDA sender to allow use of the original Pace remote to control the NTL box from another room and it works OK (remote has to be within a few feet of the digi-eye receiver though).

However whenever the remote is pressed and the digi-eye has to do some sending, my wireless British Gas alarm system (which has a control box near the digi-eye transmitter) goes into a "system trouble" mode complete with annoying warning beeps!

I'll have to experiment with varying locations and maybe even changing the codes on the digi-eye...

most weird, probably far too many radio waves flying around my house now!

11. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've got the same British Gas system and mine does it too..!