Philips Unwraps New Range-Topping DVD/SACD player-complete with HDMI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by reincarnate, Mar 26, 2005.

1. reincarnate

reincarnate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Post under Discussion:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7696
    Title:
    "Philips unwraps new range-topping DVD/SACD player - complete with HDMI"

What does "range-topping" mean?
    What does "complete with HDMI" mean?

This type of player is unacceptable as their is NO multi-channel audio over HDMI. Sony and Phillips need to get their act together and send the DSD/SACD signal over HDMI. Spending for six expensive analog cables when the one included HDMI cable can "do it all" is rather stupid.
    This is especially true since Sony and Phillips are founding members of the HDMI organization:
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/index.asp

So much for accuracy in media. See the Panasonic S97 Dvd player and XR70 receiver for TRUE "range-topping" and "complete with HDMI" examples.

I also listen to the BBC World Report and find it full of bias and errors too. Too much "sexing up" is, apparently contagious.

2. dorgan

dorgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This player has been talked about for quite some time now. Apparently they keep delaying it. Even if they could put the multichannel audio over the HDMI cable, wouldn't this require a receiver that has HDMI inputs? AFAIK they are far and few between (and would cost a bomb right now). Anyway, I'm sure the multichannel audio will be output over the optical or digitalcoax outputs.

3. reincarnate

reincarnate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think of the simplicity: a DVD player with two only connections. One for power, the other a HDMI cable for digital audio and video. The encoding on the Dvd disc is, after all, digital. What we have right now is the most expensive route, with all the unnecessary expensive and inferior performing analog output circuitry and connectors. :clap:
    Here in the U.S. one can purchase the all digital video AND audio Panasonic 97 player and 70 receiver combination for $600.
    The fact is all digital is the cheaper route. Here is the XR70 receiver with the HDMI input and output circuitry (covered by the copper shield) located at the back:

Attached Files:

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I'm afraid not. Optical and coaxial digital connections don't have sufficient bandwidth for multi-channel audio such as SACD and DVD-Audio, in addition to the fact that they are not encrypted like iLink or HDMI.

Steve

5. reincarnate

reincarnate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True. So should Sony/Phillips stick with i.link/1394 or go for combined video and audio (1.1 spec) HDMI?

Meridian (quote from Widescreen Review) says HDMI is superior in every aspect:
    "CE manufacturers could just turn to the IEEE 1394 interconnect (aka FireWire® or i.LINK) for DVD-Audio support, and some have.
    But others have decided in favor of HDMI. Meridian is a prime example. A spokesperson for the company at the 2004 CES explained
    that it chose HDMI for its G98 DVD Audio transport over IEEE 1394 primarily because the latter is not a synchronous system, hence could lead
    to jitter. The company’s engineers also viewed the maximum length of an IEEE 1394 link as too limiting. And they could not ignore the
    economics; the cost of implementing HDMI in the product was about 1/10th the cost of going with IEEE 1394."

This is true, as Sony is still only incorporating i.link into their most expensive/ high-end receiver and player.
    So just why are these companies new products not implementing HDMI, especially for audio?
    On the surface it appears to be a no-brainer decision. Are politics involved? Is SACD on its last legs?
    :lease:
    (I like these Smilies!)

6. reincarnate

reincarnate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here, I will do the design work so that every company can produce universal Dvd players which can output digital CD, Dvd-audio and DSD/SACD over HDMI:

1) convert DSD to PCM format at 88.2Khz (common inexpensive chips are available)

2) In the Dvd player use the Silicon Image SiI 9030 HDMI with DVD-Audio transmitter chip:
    http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=15

3) In the receiver use a SiI 9011 HDMI with DVD-Audio receiver chip :
    http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=45

Both chips cost approximately $22.00.
    If an amateur can figure out this situation, why can't the professionals?

I'll bet that Pioneer will be the first company to offer an inexpensive product based upon these all digital killer features.
    Should we write to the new British/American head of Sony to see if he can clear up the self-imposed artificial roadblocks?

7. reincarnate

reincarnate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timing is everything in life. Even Sony admits that their former management has made mistakes:
    "While Sony's technological and engineering base is sound, the company must ensure that its products are aligned with the wants of consumers, Chubachi said. Sony's engineers have traditionally been regarded within the company as heroes and the creators of new markets, but recently their ideas have not always led to products that matched consumers' needs, he said."

I agree. While current HD Blu-ray/Dvd discussions focus solely on disk capacity and properties, I must insist that Sony (and Phillips) include HDMI interfaces for all digital video and audio signals, including DSD/SACD formats. Forget proprietary i.link please! To do anything else is :suicide:

Full article at:
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120161,00.asp

8. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have the marantz dv 9500 and it has hdmi, which has the full 1.1 implementation.
    You can output video and audio via hdmi, but it goes a step further since it is a universal player,you can choose to ouput sacd as either PCM or DSD. Brilliant i thought.

Waiting for the marantz receiver sr -9600 which has HDMI input. That should make connectivity much easier!

9. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm just curious: have you listened to this all digital combo?

I'm considering it for my new basement movie theatre but until now, I've seen no tests of it, and no shops around me have it for audition.

And what speakers would be a good match for a digital amp? any ideas?

10. reincarnate

reincarnate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. This combination is very difficult to audition here in the states too. But it is available mail order and at a good discount. So that is what we yanks do.

Only use speakers of 8 ohm nominal impedance. No low impedance speakers please!
    Since it uses full spec HDMI, established reviewers will proceed with great caution as this technology is all to new and will take THEM time to evaluate.

Yamaha may be hopping on board the full-spec HDMI bandwagon too:
    http://www.audioholics.com/news/pressreleases/YamahaRXV4600.php

11. reincarnate

reincarnate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The British version must be different than the American:
    http://us.marantz.com/shop/_templates/Proddetail.asp?model=30&cat=17

Their specifications show HDMI only for video. You guys do frequently get the good stuff first. :smashin:

12. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8