Philips TVs

Gavlarr1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been looking at Philips TVs (perhaps the 2021 models), I like the idea of Ambilight - seems quite smart. I have also seen some of the reviews of Philips TVs (inc reliability) and the customer services provided.. just looking to see what kind of experiences people have with them.. Richer Sounds currently have decent guarantees on them... I currently have a Samsung tv which has survived 5 years and was a very solid 4k tv until a Nerf bullet hit it!

Any recommendations or advice would be helpful.

Hi,

I have been looking at Philips TVs (perhaps the 2021 models), I like the idea of Ambilight - seems quite smart. I have also seen some of the reviews of Philips TVs (inc reliability) and the customer services provided.. just looking to see what kind of experiences people have with them.. Richer Sounds currently have decent guarantees on them... I currently have a Samsung tv which has survived 5 years and was a very solid 4k tv until a Nerf bullet hit it!

Any recommendations or advice would be helpful.

Not as easy to go over everything. Generally speaking ensure you buy tv from reputable retailer with longest warranty. Philips are dreadful when it comes to support/warranty, unless you like OLED owner! Best way mate to budget and list models you can afford, then browse forum on related model thread. Dont forget we don't know your needs/use for tv? Features you require.
In overall I would not bother with 2019 models (xxx4) unless OLED, 2020 (xxx5)models had some improvement and plenty happy users. 2021 (xxx6) we all waiting for as philips declared to have some premium tech in them.
Remember you are the user, don't take all negative feedback especially if it does not relate to your use. Same with picture quality some people hardly see difference and often relatively happy even with crappy picture to my eyes :) Just so you know 2021 models are at inflated start prices so keep in mind you could have higher range model from last year.

Truth be told I'd not buy another Philips TV unless you can pick up a cheap model and maybe as a second TV - I definitely wouldn't want a Philips as my primary TV.

The firmware updates seem to break more things than they fix and often address issues that don't really bother the majority whilst ignoring glaring problems. The picture quality isn't bad but takes a fair amount of tweaking to get the best out of it and if you run into issues with other things Philips stock answer is "Re-install the firmware" which is basically a factory reset which results in all settings and apps being lost.

I picked up a 50" 2019/2020 LED TV for a cheap price last year and have it as my second TV so I have been able to better live with some of the "issues". My advice, stick with Sony, Panasonic, Samsung or LG - my personal opinion is they are worlds apart in quality and end user experience. compared to Philips.

I recently upgraded my main TV to the Sony BRAVIA KD49XH9505BU, this is a brilliant set with stunning "out of the box" picture quality and the top of the range Sony processor making for excellent picture processing and a snappy GUI.

Last edited:
You're going to get a handful of people on here who paid £300 for a low end TV and claim it represents the entire brand because it after like a cheap TV. Whether it's Philips, Sony, LG or other.

As you are looking at 2021 models, it suggests you're looking at high end models. In that case, any issues will be minimal.

The OLEDs from Philips have always been very well reviewed. You can pick any of them over the last 3 or 4 years and you'd have a superb TV. Though that's true of any OLED in all fairness, even the dodgy Toshiba one from a few years back.

If you can, go demo some TVs at Richer Sounds before buying.

Just to clarify, the TV I picked up last year would sit at about mid-range, discounted as the 2020/2021 models were about to be released. The picture isn’t bad although screen did develop a fault in first three or four months requiring a complete screen replacement under warranty. My gripe is Philips firmware, which nowadays is so important for any TV. Each subsequent release seems to introduce more issues and problems than fixes that then subsequently has to be fixed further down the line which often takes months.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom