1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips TV problem (unrelated to vertical bars)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by loz1, May 14, 2003.

1. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Got a Philips 28" 9617C a few months ago and picture wise am very impressed. However, have got a problem when I play DVD's in that you can faintly hear TV broadcasts. The sound is definately coming from the internal speakers and not the surrounds. Now I've disconnected everything apart from the DVD player so I know it's not down to the video or the digibox. I've also switched scart sockets but to no avail. I can get around the problem by making sure the TV is not set to a TV channel when watching films but there is still a faint sound of white noise.

On a similar subject I've had problems with the surrounds as well although it's stopped happening now where they switched on again after I turned the TV off. Thought this might be down to interference and that maybe my neighbour has got a Philips TV as well.

I can live with it but just wondered whether anyone else had experienced similar problems or had any ideas.

Thanks,
    Lawrence

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the 32" version and have no such problems. I think there was a Panasonic model that had this problem a lot. In any case, there are internal shielding problems with your TV and it needs to be looked at.

As far as the surrounds go, they use a frequency commonly used by cordless headphones etc. if a neighbour has something similar it may trigger them... simple solution for this one: change the speaker channel (described in the manual) ;)

3. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    loz,got the exact same problem with my 9527(I'm referring to your first point,not the cordless issue).Doesn't bother me though as I use a separate surround amp and speakers for dvd's.

4. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response guys.

I did change the surround speaker channel setting from default but it didn't seem to cure the problem at the time. The problem seems to have gone away now so who knows.

I'll take your advice RCT and get the internal shielding problem looked at.