! Promoted Philips TV invites you to discuss best picture processing tech

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Philips TV PQ, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Philips TV PQ

Philips TV PQ
    Standard Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    With the introduction of the new P5 engine Philips TV believes you should look again at picture processing.
    Danny Tack
    , Philips TV PQ guru, reveals the what & why.

1.jpg

Better not Less Processing is the key to the optimum TV picture quality
    It’s amazing to consider what a central role TV plays in all of our lives and yet no two viewing experiences are ever really the same. We each have our own viewing rooms and equipment combinations. We all have different priorities over whether we prefer sport to movies or drama to music - and each presents different issues for the set to handle and process.
    2.jpg

We also each have a different quantity and combination of individual sources that can vary dramatically in quality both over time and from installation to installation. And we each have our own preferences in terms of how we want our images to look, by source and by content type.

As an electrical appliance, there are also regulatory standards that may have an impact on how processing is applied in your set.

TV manufacturers have to allow for all of these many parameters within their picture processing engine and then attempt to ensure whatever your viewing circumstances your set always produces the optimum image quality.

Picture processing has been around since the days of the CRT and sometimes with mixed results. Partly because of this legacy the temptation is often to immediately switch off all processing but I’d like to argue the case that the massive increase in both processing power and the sophistication of modern processing engines should encourage you reject a one-size-fits-all approach to your TV viewing.

In fact, you should be aware that some level of processing is always activated in your set, in order to ensure that the input signal is ‘matched’ to your display and that you have a stable, reliable, consistent result.

At Philips TV we now introducing our most powerful and sophisticated, proprietary, processing engine - the P5 which can be found in our new mid and high-end sets, including the new flagship 9002 OLED TV.

We have managed to implement P5 as a single chip installation compared to our previous three chip offering and in the process we have significantly improved all five pillars of what constitutes the final quality of the image you see: Source quality, Colour, Contrast, Sharpness and Motion.

3.jpg
    At the basic level, P5 can improve quality issues within the source such as noise or MPEG artefacts. We can also enhance non 4k sources to produce near 4K HDR performance.

But P5 can also optimise the source, colour, motion, contrast and sharpness within a high quality 4K. I will discuss the impact of each of the above in a series of updates I will post to this thread.

Different features work at different levels, some will impact on the overall picture while others will work at a local level within the image but importantly without compromising other parts of the picture.

But in short, while it is perfectly reasonable to start from a position of minimal processing, something we allow ourselves via our movie mode and our ISF Day and Night pre-sets – equally I would ask that you try each of the features I will describe below and judge for yourselves having seen them in action.

We will be holding a four-way OLED shoot-out in early November in London – details of which you can find elsewhere on AV Forums - and we intend to demonstrate the full processing suite from each manufacturer as part of that test.

We will also be organising a PQ podcast with AV Forums in which I will attempt to answer any of the questions you ask.

Pillar 1 – Source Perfection.

We will now attempt to examine each of the pillars in isolation but in reality they will all interact and the quality of that interaction will also have a significant impact on the final image.

Modern TV’s have an almost unlimited range of sources - provided in an equally wide range of quality - to process and ensure each are perfectly displayed upon the 4K screen.

The almost constant increase in screen size and resolution has also increased the importance of having top quality source optimisation within the picture processing engine.

By having the one dedicated chip – rather than multi-chip processing - the P5 processing engine can operate faster than its predecessor. An additional benefit of a single chip is that P5 can now ensure all process are managed in the optimal order, something incredibly difficult to control when processing is divided across different chips.

4.jpg

The slide above shows the number of processes that a P5 will apply to a signal.

You will also notice pretty much throughout the P5’s processes the presence of meters. The number and accuracy of these meters is absolutely vital to the end result and is one of the key factors distinguishing one manufacturers picture quality from another.

We will now concentrate on three key P5 processes for optimising the source: Advanced Digital Noise Reduction, MPEG Artefact Reduction and Smart Bit Enhancement.

When dealing with noise in a signal, noise reduction systems will prioritise noise over other factors within the image allowing them to reduce its impact but at the expense of the local smearing and blurring.

Philips Advanced Noise Reduction system has both spatial and temporal noise reduction working in combination with better motion detection which allows the system to remove more noise but without smearing or blurring.

5.jpg

Most Digital sources and digital transmissions tend to surfer from some form of MPEG artefacts. Many artefact reduction systems will again focus just on the MPEG artefacts, cleaning the picture but also reducing sharpness.

The MPEG artefact reduction system with the P5 engine has the power to utilise additional meters and detectors capable of both more precisely locating the artefacts within the image and defining how bad is the scale of the problem.

P5 delivers a picture free from artefacts but with sharpness and detail preserved.

6.jpg

The Smart Bit Enhancement system corrects for the quantization artefacts created by the low bit rate of many streaming codecs and distribution system and by digital compression, scalable video coding and limited range scaling.

P5 Smart Bit Enhancement extends the normal 8 bit video to near 14 bit precision locally within the image removing banding but without removing detail elsewhere in the picture.

7.jpg

By providing a clean, noise and artefact free but sharp images, P5 can offer more effective processing for sharpness, colour, contrast and motion later in the chain.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2017
  2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    I guess the big question regarding picture processing right now is:

Why do SD channels look worse on 4K TVs than Full HD TVs?

3. smurf_2010

smurf_2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I can't believe that banding removal..

4. Philips TV PQ

Philips TV PQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    AV Forums will be hosting a podcast with Danny in mid-November and will be putting your questions to him them. Hope that's OK.

5. Philips TV PQ

Philips TV PQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    We will try to regularly add new content to this post . The next information regarding PQ Pillars 2 and 3 will be live early next week.

Please feel to add your questions with regards to picture processing. AV Forums will be hosting a podcast with our PQ Guru Danny Tack and will ask him for his answers.

6. mad steve

mad steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +668
    Hi Id like to ask what Phillips stance on Oled pixel aging ? LG treat this as burn in so when you get it, they won't fix it.. Even if it's not fault of your own..

Yellow seems to be the Oled aging pixel killer, info bars and stuff like that..

Do Phillips have some kind of piture features which stop this from happening ?

7. dave1956a

dave1956a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    A great post Steve well done.. Will Danny Tack step up and answer ??

His first post looks like it could be a lot of advert hype can he answer your question

8. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I wonder if Philips have managed to develop a Processing algorithm/s to deal with colour banding like Sony has via Smooth Graduation.

Interesting discussion point

9. Philips TV PQ

Philips TV PQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The plan is to ask all of these questions to Danny in an AV Forums Podcast to be recorded in early November

10. Philips TV PQ

Philips TV PQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The post will be updated later this week and information on colour processing will be included. We will also ask Danny to answer your question during the AV Forums podcast.

11. dave1956a

dave1956a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I await the answers with great interest

12. Philips TV PQ

Philips TV PQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Pillar 2 – Sharpness

All 4K TVs can offer a sharp picture but the P5 processing engine allows Philips TVs to allow exceptional sharpness in all circumstances – whether during fast motion for example – and without negatively impacting on other factors within the image.

P5 has the power to analyse every pixel within a 4K image and compare each pixel with its immediate neighbours. This allows even high quality 4K content to be improved by finer lines or edges and deeper overall detail.

1.png

P5 also includes a sophisticated detail meter and a new Detail Enhancer system that analyses all content and decides by how much the picture can be improved. The system works at the individual pixel level turning original pixels on to sharper more accurate pixels, creating more detailed and refined images with greater depth impression even for non 4K content.

2.png

Pillar 3 Colour

TVs such as Philips impressive 9002 OLED set can already show a highly impressive range of colours but their colour performance can still be improved

The P5 processing engine features a powerful 17-bit colour processor – rather than the more common 10-bit option. The result is two million more visible colours leading to higher colour resolution and more brilliant, vivid images.

3.png

Exceptional colour also needs to be matched with natural colour reproduction to product images that are realistic and accurate, particularly in the case of skin tones.

The P5 processing engine features an advanced skin tone detection system cable of simultaneously boosting colours within an image while preserving or correcting any skin tones from the original. The result is superb vivid colours and natural skin tones within the same content, leading to a more vibrant image that remains realistic and accurate.

13. Ditro

Ditro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Please also use lower quality (1080p but also 720p and may even DVD) sources on the shootout event! Picture processing differences are only really visible with these type of content and these are what most people watch anyway. Testing only 4k and may even 1080p content only loses the value of such an event, as all new oled tvs look almost equally great with pristine sources.

Thank you!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. AdtAdt57

AdtAdt57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

15. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +928
    I will be going along to the event on Wednesday. (Thanks very much to Philips for putting this session on. )

During the evening we will be watching a number of scenes coveing tests for motion, colour, contrast and sharpness. Philips also aim to try and include streaming if possible.

Personally, I hope that they stick to 4k and 1080p content. Firstly, there is the selfish point that 4k/1080p is all I ever watch. Secondly, there is the practical aspect that trying to cover multiple source options would increase the time that the shootout will take.

Probably most importantly though is that Philips stated aim is to find out which TV is "Best".

Now "Best" will mean different things to different people. Aspects that are critical for some may not be relevant at all to others. For example, for you I assume that SD upscaling will be an important feature of a "Best" TV. For fast gamers a TV cannot be "Best" without having a low input lag. Generally, though "Best" to most people probably means the best quality picture with a good quality source.

Looking forward to reporting back on the shootout on these forums. (Must remember to take my camera so that I can post some photos of the event.)

Who else is going along?

16. Ditro

Ditro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    TVs will be tested for all parameter, as assume audience will look for motion, may also input lag, colors, etc... see HDTVTest shootout where all factors combined were taken into account for final result of "Best TV". Why would Philips exclude upscaling parameter from the equation? This is one of the aspect I believe is relevant for many potential buyers, and based on content available maybe more important than only HDR 4K presentation... If upscaling is excluded then the test has some limitations, is all I'm saying.

17. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +928
    Thanks very much for this Danny I have read it with interest. Also thanks to Philips for laying on tonights event - I will be one of the attendees.

Given that all OLED manufacturers are using the same panel, it is the picture processing that each manufacturer can bring to the table that provides their USP. I am a strong believer that good quality picture processing makes a significant difference - especially in areas such as motion and banding reduction.

Philips have great heritage in picture processing - I remember Philips being one of the first manufacturers to produce 100Hz and progressive scan CRTs. So it will be interesting to see how the P5 in the new 9002 compares to the sets from competitors.

Personally, my main areas of interest will be motion handling and banding reduction - as these seem to be the issues that get noticed most often with existing sets.

18. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,332
    I’m on my way now :)

19. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,825
    Congrats to @dh5, ya lucky bastard :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,332
    Agreed. One lucky man, that is one awesome set.

21. MAX1210

MAX1210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,230
    Surprising results!

22. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,332
    I must admit that I've never had my screen on any processing modes, but that was something special...It was really good and stood out to me....I'd definitely have one...

23. Moolers

Moolers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Interesting for sure but you can't buy the Philips anywhere.

24. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +928
    Apparently, Philips have delivered stock to John Lewis already. So it should be available very soon. The 65" will be arriving in February next year.

25. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    PHILIPS OLED SHOOT OUT EVENT AT LONDON FILM MUSEUM
    I thank Philips and Avforums for organising this event.
    A terrific venue, well organised, good hospitality by staff and prompt.

Top idea to hide the TV stands and use a curtain when changing scenes so that we would not know the TV brands. This prevents bias and allows fairer judgement.

This shootout had a more comprehensive coverage of streaming content compared to other TV shoot out events this year.

I am sure others will cover the scoring categories in detail so I will not reiterate it.

Most important category for me was/is Streaming Content Performance.

My favourites were:
    1st place = Philips.
    2nd place = Panasonic.
    It was very close between Philips and Parsonic to me.
    3rd place = LG.
    4th place = Sony. Unfortunately Sony to me was very poor and not even close to LG.

Key points, observations:
    • The TV’s were shown in Calibrated mode and non Calibrated mode. In Calibrated mode they all mostly performed close to each other on good quality content [blu ray disc], even Sony.
    • Philips and Panasonic showed off better colour tones with greater range of greens/yellows on a particular Arial view of Greenery.
    • Motion on all sets was better in Calibrated mode. However to my eyes/brain I actually did not like the Motion on any of them. Juddery and nothing like what you see in a Cinema. Expected better. Room for big improvement. I did marginally prefer the Motion on Panasonic.
    • One Tunnel Scene where both Philips and Panasonic revealed excellent blacks, but the LG looked awful. On the LG in the Tunnel Scene the blacks were not black, but were dark grey and you could see banding.
    • Philips in general did have some issues with banding on lower res content vs other sets.
    • Noise/Sharpness-this category was hard to judge because of the great viewing distance from 55inch screens. A shame as this area has had allot of focus in the scoring categories.

The most valuable points I took away from this event is that the performance does vary between OLED TV’s significantly on Lower quality content and TV Calibration is a must have(massive improvements potentially).

I own the LG OLED65C7 and I am happy with it, factoring in both £Value and Calibrated Performance.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  26. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +928
    I have difficulty in drawing any meaningful comparison between the sets given what we saw last night. In calibrated mode and in the cinema mode there was little difference between the sets. This explains why the reviews of these sets all seem to give them similar ratings.

When all are set to Vivid mode (and we have no idea what the motion settinges etc were on all the sets) then the Philips was clearly the best. However, given that Vivid mode is generally a setting that you wouldn't use for the other three sets the Vivid test result cannot be the basis of any firm conclusions.

For example, in Vivid mode the LG had truly awful blacks on the tunel scene, as you say above. However, in Cinema mode test it had the same blacks as the other three. So it is incorrect to say that the LG had poorer blacks in HDR than the other three.

The Panasonic (and LG) had issues with the baseball in the motion test but without seeing whether there were different motion settings on these sets that may have resolved these issues we cannot say that these sets generally have issues with this type of motion.

The Sony was (to me) the worst overall performer when set in Vivid mode. Again this doesnt necessarily mean that it is a generally poorer performer than the others.

There is a reason why reviewers don't test TVs exclusively using Vivid mode and do try and find the best setting for each control such as interpolation and black frame instertion for better motion.

All I really took away from the Vivid test was that Philips have a better Vivid setting than the other three. How relevant this is in terms of a purchase decision is up for each of us to decide.

27. Philips TV PQ

Philips TV PQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Many thanks for coming along to the event last night.

By showing a calibrated mode and vivid mode you effectively saw the opposite ends of the scale - almost no processing and processing at full power.

Calibration was by AV Forums which took it out of our hands. We also took nearly a whole day to ensure you couldn't tell which TV was where in the line-up. We can't be any fairer than that and we would agree that there were no bad sets on the night

The point of vivid or demo mode is to be able to demonstrate what your processing is really capable of when pushed to it's limits and in effect, if you have issues or limits then they will be readily shown.

We also believe it's a fair test because all manufacturers have a demo or vivid mode for that purpose. If they don't want you to see it, why put the preset on the TV?

Whether in Vivid mode or when calibrated the manufacturer's settings will be pretty much the same as each other.

As you know, we also showed cinema mode when asked. In the case of the Philips set the movie mode is pretty much the same as the ISF preset so very similar to the calibrated settings but that is not the case for all manufacturers, everyone has a different approach as to what they include or switch off, which is why it wasn't included in the main part of the test.

The point of the test and this thread was that 'better processing makes a better picture'. I hope we went some way to proving processing can be a good thing if done properly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  28. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +928
    Philips have definitely proved to any sceptics out there that good quality processing really can make a significant, positive difference to the picture.

Implementing a better Vivid mode should also help sales of Philips TVs. Typically manufacturers seem to use Vivid mode to highlight their TVs in bright shop floor environments. To the general public comparing TVs on display in a store, where they are all on Vivid, the Philips set will look significantly better than any of its competitors. That was clearly shown in the results last night.

I would have liked to have seen Philips' Ambilight in action last night as I have never really seen it before. (Especially if they could have shown it controlling some Philips Hue lights.) That may have been very hard to do in that room though as the TV needs to be close to a wall for the lights to have a surface to reflect off.

29. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Oh come on! I’ve no opinion on the shoot out as I wasn’t present, simply an interest in reading the views of those that did attend, but that statement really is taking the biscuit.

AVForums have been involved with educating and in the past have even commented regarding the lack of understanding of a properly calibrated picture amongst some manufacturers. Why do you think the ISF and years later THX vision programs exist and were set up in the first place?

I believe and I’m sure many other forums members have the same opinion, that vivid modes exist to try to attract buyers with their overly-saturated colours and (too) high contrast images, when their sets are competing with all the others on the shop floor.

30. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225

Hello Philips,

Please pass on these questions to Danny for the Forthcoming Podcast and perhaps you could also reply, thank you kindly.

Noise and Sharpness become less noticeable and relevant when comparing TV’s at greater viewing distances.
    For example it is less relevant on 55inch screen from 7+ feet onwards vs if you were only 5feet away, obviously. On a 65inch from 9+ feet onwards vs if you were only 6 feet away.

QUESTION 1.
    Based on 1080p Streaming Content what distance is it almost indistinguishable between TV’s for 55inch TV?

QUESTION 2.
    Based on 1080p Streaming Content what distance is it almost indistinguishable between TV’s for 65inch TV?

I can elaborate on this if you require clarification.

One of the reasons I ask these questions is because I was over 10feet away from the 55inch screens at the TV Shoot out Event and without Superman Vision this area of sharpness/noise was too difficult to judge.