1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips TV died - HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Chucky, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 28" widescreen Philips TV. Model 28ML8916
    Its about 3 years old - bought secondhand.

It seems to be still switched on, btu the screen is blank (though you can see its alive), no sound. Symbol lights are all flashing in the bottom left control panel corner.

The manual says - if you see and hear nothing and the lights are flashing, it means there is a malfunction.
    If i try to flick through channels, one of them (probably the AV channel) has sound, still no picture.

I have tried many times to switch off, unplug, and then on again - but it didnt help.

Questions:

1) Has anybody experienced a similar problem with a similar Philips TV? What was the problem?

2) Is there an easy way to fix it myself ?

3) If I have to get a technician, how can I make sure they are honest and wont try to rip me off?

Any ideas will be appreciated!

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not. Sounds buggered :(

Make enquiries with someone like Comet, as I suspect they charge fixed rates, or use a local engineer that is recommended to you by someone else. It's good if you can get an assessment beforehand though. If it's second hand and someone else owned it before you for x years, plus the 3 years you've owned it, it might be more expensive to fix then it's worth.