Question Philips TV Backlight | Defect or design?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by TikPandora, Jul 5, 2018.

1. TikPandora

TikPandora
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello everyone!

Just tonight I purchased a Philips 24PFL3603/F7 for about $98 at my local Walmart. Now, I know this isn't an actual Philips TV and that it was manufactured by Funai. The picture quality on the TV is absolutely stunning though for a cheap little 24" TV, but I do have a question about it.

It's all about the backlight.

When on a solid color, notably blue, you can see a few distinct quirks about the screen if you look very close. I am wondering if this is a defect or simply the design of the TV's assumingly rather cheaply implemented backlighting system.

[​IMG]

Here's a very terrible MS Paint rendition of how I believe this TV is lit from my observations as well as a bit of a visual aide. When on the color blue especially you can see three very slightly darker bands dividing the screen into four quadrants (which I assume is the empty space between the LEDs) with eight small circular spots placed between them in equally spaced intervals. I am assuming that the TV is using eight spaced out but rather large circular LED units to provide backlighting to the set. Note, these are very very faint, especially the circular spots, and can only be seen if you are looking for them or just have to catch them at the right time. Yes you can see them, but you pretty much have to be looking. It seems to me that the size of the LEDs, combined with their sparse number and spacing that makes them visible at certain times.

Does my assumption sound correct? I know for a fact that the TV isn't edge lit which adds a bit of credibility to my theory on the backlighting. If this is simply how it's designed then that's absolutely and completely fine with me. Does it seem like design or a defect in the set itself? I absolutely love the unit, especially with the features and picture quality to price and will definitely not be getting anything other than this specific model...but I also don't want to return a perfectly fine TV and risk getting another one that has something worse, like a stuck pixel.

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    This TV, as far as I know, is not sold here in the UK. I'm afraid it is a case of you get what you pay for and $98 isn't very much. To make a TV at that sort of price, and make a profit on it, compromises in design are going to be made. 24" TVs are few and far between so there isn't much else out there in the market place. I have a 24" HD Samsung, with tuner, which is OK but little more than a mid-range monitor.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  3. TikPandora

TikPandora
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is absolutely fine with me. Design is completely a non issue. I was just wondering if it was a cost saving design or if it seemed like a defect.

4. Blupetros

Blupetros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    It is what it is, a cheap TV! You don't get perfection even at $3000. It's not a defect, it's what you get for $98.

5. TikPandora

TikPandora
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As I have said, I am well aware that it's a cheap TV. That's why I purchased it. I was just asking opinions on whether it was something that only affected my unit or not. I'm well aware that I get what I pay for.

6. Blupetros

Blupetros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    And we've said it's what you would expect for a TV at that price. It most probably affects all units, how can we tell? We have no experience of this TV. If you take it back you may get a better one but equally it could be worse. You already said you have to look very hard to see it and that "The picture quality on the TV is absolutely stunning" so I would sit back and enjoy. What else can we say?

7. TikPandora

TikPandora
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was simply asking for opinions on the matter. Nothing more and nothing less. I know nobody has experience with the TV and that nobody can tell for sure. I apologize if my question has angered or annoyed anyone.