Philips TV audio out

Wylie65

Novice Member
I have had no luck getting audio from my Philips 40pfl3706 tv to my Panasonic sc-ht400 receiver
Problems are
1. Cable box only has HDMI out
2.receiver does not have HDMI in
3.tv only has digital audio out
I have tried using a cable from audio out to digital audio in on receiver with no success Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't upload my pics so you have a better understanding.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Digital audio out of the TV in to the digital audio in of the amp should work. You will likely have to configure your TV to output audio from there ( sound / audio options). And then select that input on the amp.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Many TV's have the option to turn the TV speakers off which usually engages the optical output from that point

Philips have a little section on their website which should help --->

dante01

Distinguished Member
There'll more than likely be a Speaker setting on the TV and this should include an option to select the TV's digital audio output as opposed to it using its own speakers. Select the option that related to the optical audio output and the TV willl or should then start outputting any audio sourced via it via its optical audio output. There'll also be another setting relating to what formats to convey via the digital output. You should set this to an option that corresponds with your receiver's audio capabilities.

Wylie65

Novice Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. The only option I have for the speakers is on,off or easylink. I have tuned the speakers off which doesn't help and there doesn't seem to be any other setting for audio out. Any other ideas?

dante01

Distinguished Member
connection via an optical cable:
Connect an optical cable from the optical output of the TV to the optical input of the sound system. Make sure there are no major kinks in the cable. Ensure that the audio SOURCE on the sound system is set to “Optical”

No further settings are required on the TV, the optical port will always send an audio signal while connected. The TV speakers will not automatically disable however, but can be turned off via the instruction in the box below.

connection via a coaxial cable

Instead of Optical cable connectors, some TV’s are equipped with digital coaxial cable connectors instead. Connect a coaxial cable from the coaxial output of the TV to the coaxial input of the sound system. Make sure there are no major kinks in the cable. Ensure that the audio SOURCE on the sound system is set to “Digital/ Coax”

How to connect a Philips TV to a sound system? | Philips TV

So if using an optical connection between the TV and your AV receiver then there shouldn't be any additional setting or configuration changes you need to make on the TV. The optical output is apparently always active?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Just a simple check before you go in search of other areas as to what could be wrong. Have a check of the cable to make sure it’s lighting up at the end. It should have a red glow. If not, then something isn’t right. You may at that point need to look at your manual to make sure it’s not just a dummy connection as I’ve seen on a few TV’s in the past

stevelup

Distinguished Member
A fair few older TVs do not pass audio from HDMI to the optical out. The optical out is only for the onboard tuner. This TV dates back to about 2011 so this is quite possible.

Your best bet will be a HDMI audio extractor which you'll insert between the cable box and the TV.

Wylie65

Novice Member
There is no optical out on the tv only the orange coax connector, according to the manual the component and composite connectors are input only. There is a note in the manual that some providers may mute pcm audio over digital audio output for some channels or shows. Could this be my problem?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
The TV just isn't capable of passing through the HDMI audio to the SPDIF output. It's not at all uncommon on a device of that age. That output is only for the onboard tuner.

Grab a cheap HDMI audio extractor and you should be fine.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I had a quick look at the TV manual. It wasn't that helpful, except that there is a digital coaxial audio output, and nothing to say that it shouldn't work. Do you get sound via that connection if you use the tv's built in tuner?

Are we sure that the digital coaxial audio input on the amp is working, can you get sound from that input via another device?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom