1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Streamium products?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by AMc, Nov 5, 2004.

1. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,105
    Hi,

Like a lot of people I'm looking at setting up an MP3 server and using wireless to distribute and control sound around the house.

The kitchen stereo is giving up the ghost so this looks like a good place to start. I've looked at Squeezeboxes and the Netgear MP101 with additional amplication and speakers but I am keen on the idea of an integrated device which will be family friendly.

After a lot of research into the Philips MCi250 I've discovered it uses a non standard streaming format and is quite old technology. But the replacement mcw770 is designed to work with uPnP media servers so should be a lot more flexible. It looks like fair value at £350 - though it's annoying to see it's $350 at amazon.com

Anyone got any experience of Philips Streamium products and specifically the MCW770?
    http://www.streamium.com/products/mcw770/

If the kitchen experiment works out I would probably add other streamium products in the bedroom and to the main AV system in the lounge.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AMc,

I'm looking to do something similar myself - music in the kitchen, but both music and video (DVD VOBs + some DivX)

Have been testing out the Neuston box, but have found problems running full MPEG2 video though it (sporadic audio drop-out), even with a wired connection.

Would be interested on your views on the Streamium products

Chris

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,105
    If I get anywhere I'll certainly post back. At the moment I'm looking for a dedicated music system - there's no TV in the kitchen and with Tivo in the lounge I doubt we'll put one there either.

I found the device cheaper at www.bt.com/shop £299

There's a streamium forum with a Philips rep posting here.
    http://www.streamiumforums.com

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,105
    cwinson - the reports on streaming full MPEG2 DVD content over at the streamium forums suggest it's a little under powered to deal with the decompression. Some are working around that by decompressing at the server end but that eats bandwidth. Check them out there's a lot of decent info there.

I've decided to defer the wireless MP3 option as the technology seems a little immature. So I'm probably getting a decent quality DAB receiver CD player (TEAC reference 250) with some extra inputs. 1st one will probably be a docked iPod and then I'll have a look at the Squeezebox/Netgear MP101 next year.