1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Streamium and HD movies

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Wall, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Wall

Wall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm probably going to get the new 9830 LCD screen from Philips that will (hopefully) come out soon. The screen will feature the Streamium technology.
    Does anyone know if I will be able to stream HD(720p, 1080i) content from my PC? Is the bandwidth enough? I read on www.streamium.com that it is 100Mb/s...I'm wondering because my Mac mini that I will have hooked up to the screen isn't powerful enough to play HD movies smoothly, and I don't want my loud PC in my livingroom.

Another question...
    The HD version of T2 you can get here: www.wmvhd.com. How do they convert it to a higher resolution? It wasn't filmed in a HD resolution, right? so is it done?
    I don''t get it... :confused:

Thanks in advance!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Any movie shot on 35mm film can easily be converted to HD resolution for broadcast or carried on optical media. Film I believe has a useable 4000 lines of vertical resolution which is more than enough for all forms of HD at this time.

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Terminator 2 was a feature film - and as such will have been shot on 35mm or 65mm film (65mm is often used for effects shots as it is higher resolution) Any digital film effects are likely to have been done at either 2k or 4k film resolution AIUI.

Films shot on film aren't shot in a specific "resolution"...

The resolution of 35mm film (though not always retained all the way to the cinema prints we see in out multiplex) is widely assumed to be around 4k - though different processing and stocks will return different results. This compares very favourably with the current HD standards.

To transfer the T2 film to HD they will have taken a decent quality film copy of T2 and then transferred it using a film scanner or telecine to the HD (or higher resolution domain) and then converted this to WMV format at 720p or 1080i.

This is one of the main reasons that so many US TV series were able to quickly move to HD production - they already shot on 35mm film which was higher quality than HD, so only had to transfer to HD video rather than SD video.

It is also a major reason why HD-DVD and Blu-Ray HD copies of existing films will be relatively easy to release. The actual films are more than sharp enough to exploit the new HD formats.

(Even films shot in the 40s and 50s - although not widescreen - will look better in HD than SD!)