Philips SRU6008 - any good?

scottie55

I'm on my third harmony (2x525 and a 555) and I'm getting a bit fed up with the poor build quality. The One looks good but the missing colour buttons is a deal breaker for me + I'm not keen on remotes with touch screens. The new range look ok, but they don't control enough devices for me.

So ... has anyone got experience with Philips Prestigo range. I think the SRU6008 looks like it might do the job.

IanSeward

I'm on my third harmony (2x525 and a 555) and I'm getting a bit fed up with the poor build quality. The One looks good but the missing colour buttons is a deal breaker for me + I'm not keen on remotes with touch screens. The new range look ok, but they don't control enough devices for me.

So ... has anyone got experience with Philips Prestigo range. I think the SRU6008 looks like it might do the job.

I have one of these, only £48 from Amazon - absolutely brilliant!

Easy to program using the software and easy to modify buttons for your own kit.

Did not recognise Sky HD box but only took around 1 min to teach it the commands.

Build quality is excellent far better than Logitech, classy piece of kit for the price.

chris6

Hi.
Sounds good! I am interested but, in the manual which comes with the 'configo' prog., the appearance of the LCD in Device mode is not illustrated. I would like to confirm that, for SRU6008 as well as the similar Touch version, SRT8215, the Device ‘soft button' descriptors are shown at some stage next to the hard buttons on either side of the LCD, but this is not clear.

I have tried the Philips Tech Helpline 0800 331 6015 but they cannot find the info.

Would someone clarify please?
Regards
Chris

Last edited:

chris6

PS. Re Philips SRU6006/8 Could you amplify or correct these details of the various menus which can appear in the LCD?

So far I have gathered that they can be called up (edited: while connected to PC and using Configo program) in various ways:-
1. Input Button List (with Input button from 'Home', from devices List, or from the Activities list)
2. Power Button List (with Power button from 'Home', from devices List, or from the Activities list)
3. Activities List (from use of return button)
4. Devices List (from 'Home' page?)
5. Individual Device Pages (from Activities by selection, or from Devices list?)
6. 'Home' page? or is this the same as the Activities List?

Last edited:

IanSeward

Hi.
Sounds good! I am interested but, in the manual which comes with the 'configo' prog., the appearance of the LCD in Device mode is not illustrated. I would like to confirm that, for SRU6008 as well as the similar Touch version, SRT8215, the Device ‘soft button’ descriptors are shown at some stage next to the hard buttons on either side of the LCD, but this is not clear.

So far I have gathered that they can be (called up) in various ways:-
1. Input Button List (with Input button from 'Home', from devices List, or from the Activities list)
2. Power Button List (with Power button from 'Home', from devices List, or from the Activities list)
3. Activities List (from use of return button)
4. Devices List (from 'Home' page?)
5. Individual Device Pages (from Activities by selection, or from Devices list?)
6. 'Home' page? or is this the same as the Activities List?

Regards
Chris

I have the SRU6008 so can only comment on this model, also everything is piped into the amp and switched from there.

Yes, the description of the hard button function appears next to the relevant hard button. What each button does depends on what your original remote can do. You can rename the operation if you do not like the term used by your remote - sometimes useful for SWMBO.

The operation is based around activities so that you program in the activities you are interested in. For me that is quite simple:
1) Watch Sky
2) Watch BluRay
3) Watch DVDR
4) Home PC

Each activity will switch on the relevant devices and change input accordingly.

If I am watching Sky HD and press watch BluRay everything stays on and the BluRay comes on and the amp switches input to BR.

Pressing the power button switches everything off. If you want to power one device off you need to select that device from the device list and press the power button.

I don't need to call up input lists as selecting the activity changes the input anyway. Basically you only use the device list but mostly the activities. The remotes buttons will be functioning for the "activity" device eg BR remote when watching BluRays, Sky when watching SKY HD.

Hope this helps, the SRU6008 is excellent value, well made and simple to use. If you are looking to send control codes to make DVD's region free, etc. you need to look elsewhere.

chris6

Our Philips SRU6008 arrived the other day and seems very good.

So far:-
There are plenty of the right buttons including the coloured ones, and the button layout, effective angle, and range are also excellent. The database provided the controls for our TV and three boxes although it could not find the Sharp Soundbar, but this was easily added by copying the commands from its original remote.

The eight 'Devices' were easy to set up. The 'Activities' store macros which adjust things like AV channels and on/off status, issue individual commands from any device or soft button, and then open a chosen device, as IanSeward has already explained. I guess they could also be used for recording 'Favourite' channel numbers. Both Devices and Activities are displayed in the home screen by returning from an activity or from the device page.

When a Device is clicked the AV setting is not changed but the Devices are replaced in the LCD by the first four soft buttons for that Device, the rest being accessible with the handy central metal up-down key. The devices are mainly of use in preparation of hard button layout for your items of equipment and for collecting their soft button commands, both of which can be used in development of other Devices or Activities.

For example the soundbar device occupies the first place in the second page in Devices, and its volume controls were copied to the hard buttons for the volume controls of the TV device and its different sound-formula buttons could be copied to soft buttons of other devices too.

Nice one!

Last edited:

chris6

...Pressing the power button switches everything off. If you want to power one device off you need to select that device from the device list and press the power button...
Thanks Ian that helped to explain why the Activities involving TV at first seem automatically to be given two power button settings by their set up wizard. I could not handle that, or understand what resulted, so I set them to dummy values and deleted any command icons which seemed redundant.

(Edited) think I finally understood why Activities weren't working. I had not labelled the different on/off buttons with the name of the relevant devices so had put them in the wrong places...

Last edited:

chris6

how are you guys getting on with the SRU6008 ?

still recommend it?
Well..I sent mine back, mainly because I couldn't read the text for soft buttons on the lcd and didn't like having to connect to PC for setting up or adjusting things by learning.

I thought Range and general operation were fine but was not impressed with the activity based principles employed by the Configo program, although it had some interesting and useful features too.

Earlier we had MX-500s which were more flexible so have now upgraded to Universal Remote Control R-50s, which are very similar to MX-500 but have more memory and allow macros on any button. Have been using functional commands/macros on Favourites, instead of just channel numbers, by teaching commands onto the number buttons of dummy devices.

Also using Sony RM-VL610T: no LCD but plenty of hard buttons as well as the four coloured buttons and would definitely recommend that at around £25, which was what it originally went for.

Last edited:

biggy7

thanks mate

ive ordered one anyway, got it for £33 from avides seller on amazon, brand new, worth a shot at that price i reckon.

i would of liked a harmony but all i read is remotes going faulty and buttons not working, seems the build quality on the harmonys are rubbish, plus their current middle of the range remotes are pretty poor feature wise.

logiciel

What you've read is a mix of misleading and wrong.

chris6

What you've read is a mix of misleading and wrong.
i.e. as usual, but please provide some alternative views or better info.

logiciel

Like any other device Harmonys occasionally go wrong and this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/remo...arlsberg-did-support-would-like-logitech.html confirms that Logitech deal with such situations at least as well as any other manufacturer, and better than many.
All the models with only one exception have the same essential features, but of course the more additional features a model has the higher is its price.

chris6

Sorry for the lack of data but Harmony's do indeed seem very popular, and people tend to post mainly when something goes wrong, so that could give the impression of unreliability.

Just checked at Harmony Remotes and found that each of our TV and components is supported. If we wanted an inbuilt database of commands, and if the Harmony sets of controls are complete, that would be a lot better than 6008 which only did part of two of our devices. However the 6008 codes list was better than those of other uni remotes which I have tried and it can be configured as 'device-based', and did include some discrete AV codes for which even the TV's original remote did not have buttons.

At Harmony Remotes Harmony 300i which is advertised at £29. Although the website claims it controls 4 devices, a reviewer says it only does 'watch TV' and there is no second macro for e.g. 'watch DVD'. This does not sound too good for an 'activity based' remote and needs an online connection, but I suppose it could instead learn all functions for better flexibility.

The 600 (lcd) £50, and 650 (colour lcd) £70, look like better prospects with 'onboard intelligence'
- does this deal with the problem of Toggled ('non-discrete') Power commands, and choice-from-list AV channels (rather than individual buttons) on the original remotes, please?

imo but only if so and if you wanted Activities, although potentially more expensive, Harmony 600 might indeed be a better prospect than 6008 but only four devices....

PS
Review on Amazon suggest that the AV channel selection and Power toggle buttons remain as problems for 600/650, just as they are for a mainly learning remote which does not have such an extensive database. Imo these difficulties are unlikely to be nearly such a pain for 'device focused' uni-remotes.

Again, the Sony SRU6008 had discrete codes for Pan TX-P42G20 tv's AV inputs but I still wonder if Harmony does?

After starting an activity, can Harmony return straight to devices instead of only to Activities?
- If not then the full complement of commands for e.g. PVR or DVD recorder might be less accessible than with 'device focused' uni remote with plenty of macros, or even for 6008

btw 6008 can do without Activities just by leaving them out of programming, and then serves as 'device-centred', which I guess would be less problematic for many people.

Last edited:

chris6

thanks mate

ive ordered one anyway, got it for £33 from avides seller on amazon, brand new, worth a shot at that price i reckon...
I thought the same. Hope you like it, and that it does what you want. Would be interested in your impressions in due course

Regards
Chris

logiciel

That's OK Chris, and you're right that people post mainly when there's something wrong, but recently we have had a lot of posts from people who've had good responses like that when they report faults to Logitech support.
The Harmony 300 is NOT activity based; it was brought out to fill a niche in the lower end market for ordinary remotes. It does the WatchTV on two devices, and controls another two devices like an ordinary one-at-a-time remote, but uses a substantially smaller database of devices.
Activities are the whole point of the other Harmonys though. They're what make them both better and more expensive than the old style one-at-a-times. It's far easier to use them that way than by flipping between several separate devices. You always have all the commands on the remote that you need for all the devices that you're currently using, so you never need to "return straight to devices".
You have the option to adjust the power settings and input settings for each device, and then those are made automatically by the activities, simply by selecting one and later changing to others.
The recent 600 and 700 are good, but the limitation in the number of devices is a drawback, and I'd recommend the older but reliable 500 series instead.
For the best Harmony experience though it's well worth spending just a little more for the One, and if the ability to control without line of sight is useful then the 900 is even better.
HTH - Logi

chris6

Useful info. thanks logiciel for the overview and details.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom