Philips Soundbar TAB8805 having issues with HDMI ARC Audio

McShmoopy

Novice Member
Hi Guys
Hope you can help me out, I recently managed to get a TAB8805 3.1 soundbar for £150 off the retail price via eBay as it was supposedly an unwanted gift and brand new. The box came sealed and I plugged it into my Philips OLED 803 via HDMI Arc (My Philips TV only supports ARC whereas the Soundbar is capable of eARC) and it seemingly works. Unfortunately every time I try to play any surround sound content on the TV itself (Such as Netflix 5.1 and Disney+) I get no speech or primary audio and I can only hear background noises going on in any content.

I've experimented with this and it looks like any content thats plugged into my TV such as a PS4 the surround sound audio works perfectly as expected with 5.1 Netflix for example being correctly down mixed to the 3.1 system. The only time it won't work is if it is content from the the TV itself. I've tested this out on several other TV's like the Philips PUS6401, a Samsung TV as well as a Sony Android TV and the results are seemingly the same. I have tried via Optical but it seems to be the same but I haven't fully tested this out yet.

On the Philips sound setting options you get Multichannel, Dolby Digital, Multichannel bypass as well as Stereo (Uncompressed). I get the same results with all of them with the exception of Stereo but this forces all content to be stereo and I'm missing out Surround Sound and Dolby Atmos. Ive already updated to the latest firmware and Philips support are saying this is likely a hardware issue.

If anyone can advise it'd be greatly appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom