Philips, Sony, Plasma and an Xbox..

jakeboi

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a 1080p tele to be used mainy for xbox 360 gaming but I would also like to be able to enjoy great looking movies and preferably good SD at 37-42"..

I know this seems a lot to ask but I would say overall what I DO NOT want is motion blur and input lag for gaming..

I know getting good quality SD is a problem especially since the TV will be about 6ft away from viewing position but I find it crazy to have a TV that does a bad job of displaying SD broadcasts, I don't care for SKY HD or Virgin HD or even freesat, I dont want to be watching crystal clear BBC1 but I don't want to see blocky, juddering images either!

I have narrowed my search down to a possible final 3;

Philips PFL7603 - Seemed great, glowing review from What HiFi but then I read something about possible input lag issues..

Sony KDL40W4000 - Seems to be very popular

Panasoic PZ80B - Was dead set on this, loved the thought of good quality SD and beautifull movies but when I viewed it in Comet the picture looked horribly grainy and of course I am not sure what to think of the dreaded Burn-in issue, some say they play games for weeks and have no problems but others say only a fool games on a plasma..

Sorry for the long post but after weeks of searching I feel only oppinions can help me now!

Thanks.

the 40W4000,it ticks all the boxes and gaming is superb

Panasoic PZ80B - Was dead set on this, loved the thought of good quality SD and beautifull movies but when I viewed it in Comet the picture looked horribly grainy and of course I am not sure what to think of the dreaded Burn-in issue, some say they play games for weeks and have no problems but others say only a fool games on a plasma..

Yes you are right that W4000 is a popular set, but so is PZ80. I dont know what settings they were on and what kind of feed, in Comet, but i can assure you that if you set it properly and give a decent feed, it will be a great viewing experience. Current generation plasmas dont get burn-ins, unless you leave a static picture on them for a day or two. That would be abuse to the extent. But other than that plasmas are quite reliable even for gaming.

Thanks for the replys guys,

I'm going to a couple more shops today to check them both out again.

Would you think there is a difference in picture quality between the two (PZ80 vs 40w4000), I know the plasma may have better blacks but other than that would one outshine the other or would there not be much in it?

HD should be equally good on both PZ80 and W4000. Gaming on W4000 is fast, with no lag, PZ80 is also fast, but some seem to spot the trailing green phosphors when making fast movements in a dark background. SD should be better on PZ80. Generally in a showroom LCDs tend to standout more than plasmas due to their extra brightness.

I dont like the look of the phosphor trails, I just checked out a few vids and noticed it quite obviously.

I'm a little worried about the lack of 100hz on the 40W4000 and if this results in motion blur..

I want the TV for gaming alot more than SD broadcasts so maybe I'll go with the Sony on that respect, I think its just down to hearing that there is little to no motion blur and I will be happy to buy the 40W4000

W4000 works fine without 100Hz. There is very little motion blurring compared to other LCDs. For gaming, W4000 is a treat.

I dont like the look of the phosphor trails, I just checked out a few vids and noticed it quite obviously.

I'm a little worried about the lack of 100hz on the 40W4000 and if this results in motion blur..

I want the TV for gaming alot more than SD broadcasts so maybe I'll go with the Sony on that respect, I think its just down to hearing that there is little to no motion blur and I will be happy to buy the 40W4000

no blurring!

Thanks for the help guys.

I saw the 40w4000 in the Sony store yesterday and thought the picture was gorgeous!

However I have just found a deal on the Samsung LE40A656A1 + Samsung Blueray player for £778

Or my original choice the Sony 40W4000 for £669

The samsung has 100hz whereas the Sony doesn't however you just said there is no blur on the Sony..

I dont care so much for getting the best deal I just want to get the Best TV!

Which would you say would be the better TV?

Thanks again for all the help!

Can't comment on the Samsung but I've been playing PS3 on a 40W4000 for the past few weeks and the picture is fantastic - no blurring at all :thumbsup:

Sony great LCD - but no true RJB
Samsungs - full and true RJB colours (great for xbox)

Both sets have some lag - but depends on the input.

Pros and cons for both - end of the day they are much the same. 40w and A686

Dont think the extra £200 from 40v to 40w is worth it (considering what you get)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys.

I saw the 40w4000 in the Sony store yesterday and thought the picture was gorgeous!

However I have just found a deal on the Samsung LE40A656A1 + Samsung Blueray player for £778

Or my original choice the Sony 40W4000 for £669

The samsung has 100hz whereas the Sony doesn't however you just said there is no blur on the Sony..

I dont care so much for getting the best deal I just want to get the Best TV!

Which would you say would be the better TV?

Thanks again for all the help!
you just cant go wrong with either!The samsung though has lag,while you wont need to worry at all with W4000 zero lag

Sony great LCD - but no true RJB
Samsungs - full and true RJB colours (great for xbox)

Both sets have some lag - but depends on the input.

Pros and cons for both - end of the day they are much the same. 40w and A686

Dont think the extra £200 from 40v to 40w is worth it (considering what you get)

What are RJB colours?

Oh there isn't much difference between the V and the W? I dont think I looked at the 40v, I'll check it out..

I see CHRISGEO said the Sony has 0 lag but you said it does have some have you experienced it ?

Obviously I dont want lag for xbox...

Last edited by a moderator:
the measured lag on 40W4000 by HD TV TEST is almost zero.Me as well as an 32W4000 owner I dont experience any lag

I have to say I'd definitely be going for the W4000. After extensive comparison between this and the PZ80 on both SDTV and HD I have decided that I prefer the W4000 on all sources (though this was in a bright environment, the soft SD and obviously inaccurate green on the Panasonic was too much for me to bear).

the measured lag on 40W4000 by HD TV TEST is almost zero.Me as well as an 32W4000 owner I dont experience any lag

Thanks Chris thats good to know!

I have to say I'd definitely be going for the W4000. After extensive comparison between this and the PZ80 on both SDTV and HD I have decided that I prefer the W4000 on all sources (though this was in a bright environment, the soft SD and obviously inaccurate green on the Panasonic was too much for me to bear).

Excellent thanks for the info, I was worried about the quality of SD but from your post and a few others I have seen the SD quality is pretty good :clap:

I'll be ordering my w4000 tomorrow and will post with my oppinion when it arrives (14-21 days :boring:)

Thanks for all the help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom