Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

philips sbchd1500 wireless dolby digital headphones discontinued?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by apeshape, Jul 18, 2005.

1. apeshape

apeshape

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I bought a set of Philips sbchd1500 dolby digital wireless headphones last December after reading a variety of reviews. It was a toss up between the Philips and the Pioneer, and the Philips won because I preferred wireless to infra red connectivity. I was really really happy with them until the headstrap detached itself from the headphones a couple of weeks back. - A plastic screw fixing used to attach the strap to the headphones had a crack which meant that the screw loosened and eventually the headstrap popped out. I contacted Philips who informed me to speak to the vendor (UK based) since it would be covered under warranty. I sent them back to the vendor expecting a quick repair/replacement. However, I've received a letter stating that the model is discontinued by Philips because of a known fault and the vendor had kindly credited my account with the original cost. The model is still on Philips' main website and having spoken to customer support I was redirected to the Philips' UK distributor who also confirmed that the item had been withdrawn. I've e-mailed Philips customer support to ask what the known fault is and when/whether we can expect to see the revised model on sale, but I'm still waiting for a response.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem and have they had any luck with obtaining timescales for when/if a new model goes on sale? I can't find any alternative headphones that meet my requirements and can no longer watch movies late at night without disturbing the old couple upstairs!

Thanks,

apeshape.

2. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    So Sorry to hear about your case - But thats why I NEVER buy Philips -
    As far as innovation goes - it is a great forward thinking company (and I really admire the company on that front) but as is usual with Philips since anyone can remember build quality, reliability, performance and back up support on nearly everything they make is so far behind the competition that most people just will not take the risk of purchasing their products - you would have thought that in the past 30 years they would have addressed this problem. At least you got a refund. Read the threads on all who bought the Pioneers and see how many have had problems - virtually none and the product is still avialable and at a good price.

Suave!

3. nashi

nashi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I heard the same thing about these from a major philips supplier in the UK and your experience seems to confirm a design fault as reported. You can still buy these in Europe but the whole unit whereas I guess you just want the headphones to go with the main unit. You could just plug corded phones into the unit for the time being and still enjoy late night surround sound.

4. apeshape

apeshape

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Suave and nashi for your comments. Unfortunately the vendor requested I return the transmitter with the headphones in case the whole kit needed replacing, so I'm unable to plug corded phones into the unit as a temporary work around.

My biggest concern (based upon an assumption) with the Pioneers is that infra-red means near line of sight and I don't want the audio to be disrupted every time I moved around the room or turned my head.

In addition to having more feedback on when/if the Philips headphones are to be re-released, I'd be interested to get the opinion of Pioneer owners on how good/bad the infra-red connection is.

Thanks

5. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    Hey apeshape

As far as the IR reception of the Pioneers are concerned, they have a pretty good range and I have never had any reception probs - the sound has always been crystal clear. Chances are if you are watching them as surround headphones for movie watching etc, then you would be within the viewing angles and automatically within the reception range.

Suave.

6. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a pair of philips sbchd1500 wireless dolby digital headphones and so far they have been great. There is no issue as far as build quality, so maybe i am one of the lucky ones. Its a shame yours deveopled a fault because these headphones sound awsome.

I did have the pioneers as (put them on eBay about 2 months ago) well and to be honest the build quailty of the headphones was great and the optical input is very useful, but the only problem is because i am used to the philips headphones the pioneers just sound terrible in comparason. They don't sound anywhere near as open/wide and the bass is very thumpy compared to the philips.

I hope philips gets their act together and maybe improve the build quaility, maybe get the Marantz people to add some improvements (same company anyway) add the Marantz name and they will sell about 1000% more! :)