Philips s-lite DLP for £1,650

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sounds to good to be true, I know.

DLP
    800 lumens
    800-1 contrast
    1.3kg
    Whats the catch, apart from 1000 hour lamp life.
    Has anyone seen this going?

See here

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Price is correct. Should also be available from a major high street PC retailer in the next few weeks at about the same price.

Pros: Small, light, easy to use, good features such as 16:9 mode and adjustable colour balance. Component in via 15pin D socket. Tabletop and ceiling mountable.

New Philips UHP lamp gives virtually constant brightness for the quoted 1000 hrs. Lamp will last longer, just won't be as bright after the 1000 hr mark. Lamp is also said to be "colour stable" as it ages. Older lamp types tended to tint red as they aged.

Cons: Sony VW10/11, Tosh MT1/3 & Sanyo PLV30 are quieter. Lens has adjustable focus but no zoom. The usual DLP issues of rainbow effect.

The lens has a throw ratio of approx 1.65:1. This means you need 1.65 feet/metres throw distance for every 1ft/metre of screen width. (this is width, NOT diagonal).

Forum member Jeff has the NEC equivalent being fed by a HTPC system. Check out his postings for more info.

Regards

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks for the info Chris, but have you seen it running yet? if so what do you think of it? how would you compare picture quality of it to the Sanyo plv-30, as you have prior knowledge of the Sanyo.
    Strange that it has no zoom function, cost saving I guess.
    Still, its an amazing price.
    This High street retailer woudnt be part of the Dixons group by any chance.

4. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And it looks like you get a free toothbrush as well,can't be bad!:D :D

5. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    'Forum member Jeff has the NEC equivalent being fed by a HTPC system'

Not quite true I think.

Jeff has mentioned the Plus U3 1080 which although similar has an XGA DLP (like the NEC LT150 beloved of AVS Forum). Gives more pixels for fullscreen/widescreen and allows fun ideas like the ISCO lens (i.e. show your DVDs anamorphically tall with XGA and then squash them optically back to widescreen).

Nonetheless still a good projector. Any chance of the XGA Philips coming in at a keener price too?

Regards,

Ian Guinan

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Tim,
    Yes, I've run an S-Lite. The picture is different to a PLV30 (LCD vs DLP) but pretty good none the less. Good contrast, different on colour rendition. As always you should get a demo before buying, but it is well worth a look.

You might think so, I couldn't possibly comment.;)

Ian, you're quite right. Jeff has the XGA equivalent. Apologies.

"Any chance of the XGA Philips coming in at a keener price too?"
    These little DLP projectors have become much cheaper recently. Philips have led the way with some very aggressive prices to dealers. Could be a good time to start shopping around or organise a Power Buy with a dealer. We ship in quantities of 8, so that's your target volume to negotiate a better price.

Regards

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    Your answer was typical politician stuff:blush:

..but Is the picture better than a Sanyo plv-30?

..oh chaps-by the way,the Philips is a clone of the Nec lt-150 without Nec`s touted VORTEX technology(this is the main reason it is so popular at AVS.)
    Doug

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263

The Philips is a clone of the Plus, as is the NEC LT150. Noone on AVS has a clue what the Vortex tecnology is, the main reason that it is so popular on at AVS is its price in ths US.

Jeff

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Ha, ha, Doug. We corporate types have to tread a very fine line in these politically correct times. Forum rules and all that, you know!

I stand by what I wrote. The PLV30 and S-Lite both have their individual strengths and weaknesses. I could quite happily watch the image from either machine; they're both worth auditioning.

Regards

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    Gotta disagree with you on that one-the main reason the Nec has the vote over the other clones is because of its proprietary s/ware and picture enhancements(vortex technology).
    Our friends at AVS are quite aware of this-one reason being the projector central review(amongst others).
    The AVS chappies are well informed and i`m sure they have read these reviews.
    In fact one thread I read recently was talking about the more natural skin tones the Nec lt-150 could produce as opposed to the sharp/plus/philips etc..
    This was attributed to Vortex.
    Doug..

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hmmm, so someone on AVS did a shootout of all the Plus U3-1080 clones, all calibrated to the same standard and decided the NEC is better because of NEC proprietry Vortex technology? I must of missed that thread. Was this posted from the same people who said that it was best to switch the clear section off even though it was later proved to decrease contrast performance by about 20%?

Jeff

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    I cannot verify whether or not the Nec lt-150 is better because of vortex(and accublend)-but the general consensus primarily was that via h.t.p.c. the Nec`s picture had the better of the other clones.
    The plus-without the propritary s/ware etc.was reckoned to run a close second.
    Doug

13. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    This pj has a lamp life of 1000 hrs, or maybe a little more, so out of interest I wonder if Chris could inform us of the price for a replacement lamp.
    Also can you tell us if the video processing in the s-lite is any differant to the Plus U3-880, or is it identical.

Cheers

14. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Tim (and all),
    I can quote a retail price for the replacement lamp, but I don't think that will be of much use since we all know that retail and real life prices are rarely the same. It is probably more useful to get some real quotes from projector dealers.

I'm afraid I have no technical data on the video processing chips for S-Lite. It would be possible to find out from our technical division in Eindhoven, but this wouldn't be of much help since it tells us nothing about the processing algorithyms that run inside the chip. A better method would be a shootout. Any offers?

Regards

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Go on Chris, tell us the retail price for this Lamp. ;)

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    Remove corporate head(..you are off duty)and tell us the truth-are you reticent because the Philips dlp is a lemon?

..Let me put it another way(to keep you in a job!)..If you had 2.5k to spend-would you buy a Sanyo plv-30,a Philips ugo x lite,a Hitachi pjl-2001 or a Nec 540k.
    This is assuming you did not work for Philips and were approaching the purchase of the projector with the best picture-as an enthusiast of course.
    Doug

17. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Tim, full retrail inc VAT = £500.

Cue stream of outraged comment and torrent of replies saying "I can get the lamp cheaper, blah, blah, blah." I'll just sit back and watch :cool: Are we all ready?

Regards

18. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Doug,
    for £2.5K I'd buy a s/h CRT. For home cinema picture quality it has no peer.

Regards

19. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    full retrail inc VAT = £500. :eek: can anybody beat that.

I was thinking about having a demo of the s-lite as it is such a good price for a DLP, but £500 for a lamp, just shows you have to investigate before making a purchase. :(

20. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    av-sales have just quoted me a price of £504.08 inc. delivery
    for a replacement Lamp for the S-lite. :(

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deftly answered Chris!!
    What if you were not allowed to buy a crt but only those projectors I mentioned?(gotta keep trying!!)
    Dougie boy.

22. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    You need to ask your question in a different manner so you can get a CRT

23. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

I have an NEC LT150 and Barco Graphics 808 if you want to compare the two using a HTPC you are more than welcome to come down for a demo.

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Gary, Thanks for the offer. But isnt the NEC xga, that would look better than the s-lite as it is only svga.
    Did you post a comparison of your projectors on the avsforum, I have just been reading up on a guy comparing these projectors, I didnt catch the posters name though.

Cheers

25. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim

Yes, the LT150 is XGA, worth the extra outlay I would say. I didn't write the comparision on AVS but now that you've mentioned it I'll go and have a read out of curiosity.

26. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Whoops, It was a NEC xg85 being compared to the LT150.
    See here :eek:

27. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

I've been following Li On's comments, interesting the difference in perception people have about the LT150, for me it's the first light bulb projector that I've seen that's any good, it's certainly making me think about the new 16:9 models that are on the horizon, my BG808's days could be numbered.

28. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Gary, Do you know how much the LT150 retails for and who sells it on the net. I cant find much info on it. I wonder how much the lamp is for the LT150.
    Do you suffer from the rainbow effect with this PJ.
    I saw the Yamaha DLP recently and I suffered bad rainbow when moving my head from side to side.
    Do you know if it is possible to see the rainbow effect while facing the screen without moving your head?

Cheers

29. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Tim,

The LT150 costs too much in the UK at about £2500 + VAT, I got the Plus U3-1080 from which the LT150 was cloned for £1775 + VAT. Once you add VAT the price difference is about £1000. I'm very happy with the Plus and £1000 bought me an ISCO II anamorphic lens. The Plus U3, the Yamaha (also a Plus clone) and the LT150 all have a single speed colour wheel so the rainbow effect should be about equal on all of them. Even if you are rainbow prone (most people are) you do get used to them after a while and you start to notice them less.

Jeff

30. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.ivojo.co.uk/nec-lt150.htm £2088 + VAT, bulb is approx £305 + VAT

Yes, some films are worse than others. Rainbows don't bother me too much although I watched the 'Mummy Returns' last week and one scene drove me crackers with the rainbows. Overall, given the price of this little marvel and the quality of the picture, I can forgive the odd rainbow. I'm keen to see the sharp 9000E in action now, if it's anywhere near as good as the reviews I'm reading both my NEC and Barco will be in the classified's shortly.

Yes, I'm afraid. You need to see one for yourself to see if you can live with the rainbow, I've not seen the Yamaha so I can't comment on whether it's better or worse at generating rainbows.