1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Return Query

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Browny, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Browny

Browny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read the threads reference the various problems with the Philips TV's but feel my problem is unique!

As I mentioned in the thread my TV is a 32" 9527 it does get the black bars although only faint when on my X Box but on no other picture.

Apart from that picture wise it is absolutely perfect.

However the real query is that it turns itself off for about two seconds and comes back on again.

It has done this approx 12 times since I bought it from Sevenoaks Hi Fi back in September last year.

I have had engineers out twice to of course no avail.

My question is what chance do you think I have of being able to swap the TV for another, I do not want them to take it away for months on end, to come back still with same problem and probably a marked or scratched chassis.

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    browny

I think this problem i quite common on this forum among alot of tvs but mainly on philips tvs of what ive noticed. and I wouldnt change the tv if you are happy with the pic quality it would be a shame.

of what I can remember it is due to poor quality control, i.e some electronic part has to be soldered properly in order for you to have peace of mind. I think one technician just opened one guys tv and did the job in his house.

3. Trienco

Trienco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have the same problem with a pw8807 and heard of others with the same. its in repair at the moment, though i doubt they will find anything (happened two times within a week.. its hard to locate a problem if you cant even see the problem)

one theory i have to offer: do you have any other devices connected to the tv via scart cable? i had that problem twice within one hour and at that time i had my pc connected to the tv with such a cable. might be coincidence, but if this can cause some philips tvs to switch channels (due to some software problems) who knows what else it might do (maybe something like "resetting" the tube).

either unplug all scart cables for a while if you dont need them or open them and see if every pin is connected to a cable (that shouldnt be the case and the technician explicitely told me not to connect devices with such a cable, because it can cause problems).

just a wild guess but let me know if it worked for you (in case you even have something connected like that).

4. ChestFreezer

ChestFreezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this helps, but...

I had a problem with my 32pw9527 which resulted in the set refusing to come out of standby from the remote (you had to switch at the set) and the red s/by light would flash. This happened at a random time after the set was put into s/by. I disconnected the SCART to my VCR and the problem went away.
    My dealer talked to Philips who said (as I'd found out) that the problem lay in the connection of my Philips VR830 VCR via SCART -specifically pin10. Diconnecting pin 10 fixed the problem (but disables the Philips Cinemalink function - pathetic - Philips VCR not compatible with Philips TV!!!).

As stated above, you may want to disconnect all SCART leads and see if that cures it. Then connect back 1 at a time until problem re-occurs. Tedious though.