1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips reliability – good, bad or just plain ugly?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mark pearce, Feb 13, 2003.

1. mark pearce

mark pearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, Any takers on this?

My 28in 100Hz Philips (28PW9616) has gone bad! Needs a new tube (red flyback problem etc. etc. + >£450 repair bill in prospect) at just over 18months from new. Mega :mad:

Is this par for the course with Philips?

Have many of you had similar problem with recent Philips TVs.

More crucially, has anyone tried to ‘collect’ on a Domestic & General Extended Tube Warranty on a Philips set being repaired by an outfit called ENDEVA (Philips exclusive service/repair agency, apparently!!) out of its original 12-month warranty. Nightmare isn’t the word.

Be pleased to read any reply posts from anyone with similar horror stories to swap, or mail me direct.

Thanks peeps.

Mark Pearce
    (N.E Hampshire U.K.)

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Mark,

Hopefully you are aware that you may still have a warranty claim. Goods can be expected to last a reasonable time, you can be covered for up to 6 years if my memory serves me correct. To be honest any reasonable person would expect a TV to last more than 18 months wouldn't they. With respect to Endevaour good luck with them, in my experience they ain't worth the paper they're written on. What have you come up against?

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    My 6 year old (but excellent) 32PW9631 stopped working a few months after the JL warranty expired - interesting chirping sound and no picture or sound.
    Fortunately, after extensive web-searches, I found that a "stock fault" was documented by someone. Replaced offending short-circuited capacitor & 100 Hz line-switching FET and all was well.
    It took my ages to find the faulty FET though - I was looking at the normal (50 Hz) area around the line output transformer without spotting the separate 100 Hz circuitry quite a long distance from it.

I guess all TVs jhave their stock faults though.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

4. mark pearce

mark pearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies guys, :smashin:

@scooby:
    Philips apparently 'farmed out' service/repair to ENDEVA since a year or two ago (?) (yes ... correct spelling!, and I think it's a play on words that we will 'endevour' to offer you poor service. And d'you know what? I think they've succeded beyond their wildest imagination!!)

Philips also must have entered into some sort of 'deal' with Domestic & General (seeeing as how it was D & G's extended tube warranty paperwork supplied in the box)

The only problem is that on any set out of original 12-month warranty they (Philips) simply don't want to know (despite my+ 5-years tube warranty still being in force!) and simply say that you have to take up the issue with D & G.

Now, ENDEVA obviously require some sort of authorisation to go ahead with repair (i.e. to be sure they'll get paid!), and D & G simply don't recognise ENDEVA (despite them being effectively the only 'officially recognised' game in town as far as Philps are concerned for TV service/repair.)

Also, whoever is actually going to repair the TV, D & G (understandably) wish to authorise/negotiate not being 'over-charged' etc. with the repairer. So A needs to talk to B (or B needs to talk to A) if you get my drift. But despite (literally about a dozen-plus fone calls, emails faxes to *EACH* of these parties, I simply can't get either one to pick up the fone and talk to the other. Result = literally about 6 man/days of my time, effort + aggravation and still absolute stalemate.

Glimmer of hope late yesterday (Wed 12th Feb), tho! (Perhaps even a breakthru!) By accident or luck an "Operations Co-ordinator" from Philips seems to have got involved somewhere along the line, and all credit to him, he seems prepared to 'own the problem'.

Result is that neither ENDEVA nor D & G have yet contacted me to report any possible progress (s'pose an apology would be expecting far too much!!), but the Philips man rang me back within an hour and said that while he's kicking some ass, (and not necessarily any admission of liability, but to toss me an olive branch as at least some partial offset for the acknowledged hassle etc.) he'd arrange for a 4-year 'whole TV' extended warranty to be provided to me as a placating freebie. (It's a D & G warranty, tho!!) :rolleyes:

Still awaiting progess report on tube replacement, and be interesting to see if I'm happy with/accept picture quality, geometry etc. whe I do EVENTUALLY get the TV back.)

But having made not a single nano-metre of progress since original diagnosis on 30th Jan, at least (hopefully!) things look as though at long last, finally something might be starting to move. I'll report eventual outcome as and when.

Cheers

Mark Pearce
    (N.E. Hampshire U.K.)

5. mark pearce

mark pearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P.S. @ scooby

Agree with you 1,000% that a TV should last for a "reasonable" time, and I certainly don't reckon 20 months is reasonable, either. So, I intend to take the matter up as a spearate issue with Philips and/or the supplying retailer. Don't expect they'll be prepared to lob me any money (let alone replace my existing re-tubed TV with a new set, or anything like that, tho, do you?)

In the meantime tho, I just want to get the friggin' thing repaired and hooked up to the spaghetti again, so at this stage I'm only too pleased to have at last got someone within Philips to take any sort of interest.

I also have a suspicion that quality control/reliability may not be all it could be on recent Philips sets, which is what I was on a 'fishing expedition' for in my original post.

Moral of the story: any extended warranty (covering tube *OR* whole set) may not be worth the paper it's written on. And given probable £500-ish repair bil on a £800 set within 20months, it might be worth checking out where you actually stand BEFORE you might need to collect!

Cheers,

mark Pearce

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My latest Philips purchase of a 14" TV/Monitor has been a huge disappointment with all sorts of power and geometry problems.

I'm sorry to say that I blame shipping the manufacture of TVs to cheap labour countries with no regard to quality control.

I suppose I'll get round to fixing it myself eventually but I won't be buying another one.

I am also not impressed at the way Philips has ignored my e mails to them...both in the UK and Holland.

Mediocre is the word that springs to mind...pity!

7. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I have a phillips 28pw 6006 and I can't say that I am amzingly impressed by it!
    The rgb picture is overly dark and the picture in general is quite noisy. From reading posts phillips tv's seem very hit and miss nowadays, I certainly will not be buying another phillips set and I would'nt recomend them either!

8. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Watch out for the Phillips spiel. They come over as being able to do something for you but when it comes to the crunch i.e. actually sorting the problem I have found them to be useless. I have had the a Technical support manager round my house to view my 36PW 9607 who did not even enter the service menu (also Endeva did not bother) he concured with the problems I pointed out to hime but alas 2 weeks after the visit I receive a letter telling me my set is performing normally! Since this visit the Tv has broke down 3 times with errors in the service menu. I have digital images of the errors and I have now been told I have invalidated my warrenty by accessing the menu this is for trained personnel only ( so why did they not go in there). I said to Phillips if they are so confident there is nothing wrong with the set then put it in their demo centre and then arrange for my money back guess what can't do that. Spoke to the boss of the guy who came house and he was that ingronant who would not even give me his name he just said it was Fisher. Phillips need to get their customer services skill looked into and also there quality control - products.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's a long time (20+ years) since I vowed never to knowingly grace my home with anything bearing the Philips brand name. It's interesting to see that, in that time, nothing appears to have changed.

Put succinctly - good design, good spec, appalling quality and even worse after-sales service.

Interestingly, I had a niggling problem with a Sony LCD RPTv where the lamp used to flicker. The lamp driver board was replaced, eventually, which cured the problem.

Any guesses as to who made the lamp driver???