Philips refusing to honour warranty

MisterTee

Novice Member

I was watching TV the other day when I noticed these lines on my Philips 50 Inch 50PUS6704, they were not there earlier in the day and there was only me in the house. I contacted Philips, as the tv is still in the warranty period, and they asked me to send pictures, which I did. They then replied back saying after studying the picture, that the tv had been damaged and they wouldn't be honouring the warranty. They then closed the case without another word or waiting for a reply from me. I know the tv wasn't damaged as there was only me in the house, and they isn't even a scratch on the tv anywhere Has anybody else seen this issue before? I'm shocked by Philip's appalling customer service.​

Attachments

• h.jpg
    h.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 171

Kapkirk

Looks like a screen failure to me (manufacturing fault) If the TV is less than 6 years old (5 years in Scotland) Write to their customer services and threaten small claims court action unless your complaint is taken seriously. You can quote consumer rights act Oct 2015 Goods must be 'fit for purpose' AND 'last a reasonable length of time' In the case of large screen TV's that means they are expected to last at least 5 years. You may have to get an independent engineers report to prove the TV has malfunctioned and has not been maliciously or accidentally damaged.

MisterTee

Novice Member
Looks like a screen failure to me (manufacturing fault) If the TV is less than 6 years old (5 years in Scotland) Write to their customer services and threaten small claims court action unless your complaint is taken seriously. You can quote consumer rights act Oct 2015 Goods must be 'fit for purpose' AND 'last a reasonable length of time' In the case of large screen TV's that means they are expected to last at least 5 years. You may have to get an independent engineers report to prove the TV has malfunctioned and has not been maliciously or accidentally damaged.
I've already told them that if they don't alter their stance I will be seeking legal advice, I'm just shocked they took this decision based on a picture,without looking at the TV in person. I understand that there are people out there who break things to claim new products but too outright dismiss my claim so fast and basically call me a liar is astonishingly poor customer service.

Supermal

I've already told them that if they don't alter their stance I will be seeking legal advice, I'm just shocked they took this decision based on a picture,without looking at the TV in person. I understand that there are people out there who break things to claim new products but too outright dismiss my claim so fast and basically call me a liar is astonishingly poor customer service.
If the tv is under 12 months old you can contact the retailer that supplied the tv as they are contractually responsible for supplying goods that are fit for purpose.Worth giving them a chance to make good.

wiz

Distinguished Member
You got to do more than just threaten!

Fill the court forms out and send them a copy, ask them for a suitable response with X days otherwise you will proceed with the action. Be prepared to go all the way though.

You will have to prove its a manufacturing fault

heinz57

Unless you purchased the TV from Philips directly then they have no legal obligation to you.

As supermal has advised; your contract is with the retailer you purchased the TV from and not the manufacturer - Philips in this case.

Take the case up with the retailer under your consumer rights that the product should last a reasonable length of time.

if that fails you can take the matter to the small claims court but be aware they will likely adjust the compensation you are entitled to based on how many years use you have had with the product. I.e if you paid £1000 for the TV you are unlikely to recover the full amount after X years of use.

additionally if you paid by credit card you can also hold your credit card company jointly liable under Section 75 of the consumer credit act.

good luck

MisterTee

Novice Member
If the tv is under 12 months old you can contact the retailer that supplied the tv as they are contractually responsible for supplying goods that are fit for purpose.Worth giving them a chance to make good.
It's a couple of months short of two years old.

MisterTee

Novice Member
Unless you purchased the TV from Philips directly then they have no legal obligation to you.

As supermal has advised; your contract is with the retailer you purchased the TV from and not the manufacturer - Philips in this case.

Take the case up with the retailer under your consumer rights that the product should last a reasonable length of time.

if that fails you can take the matter to the small claims court but be aware they will likely adjust the compensation you are entitled to based on how many years use you have had with the product. I.e if you paid £1000 for the TV you are unlikely to recover the full amount after X years of use.

additionally if you paid by credit card you can also hold your credit card company jointly liable under Section 75 of the consumer credit act.

good luck
Thanks, I'll message Argos on Monday, hopefully they have better customer service than Phillips.

Supermal

It's a couple of months short of two years old.
Still worth chasing up.These days a tv should last 5yrs+.Two years warranty is more the normal now so ask.As long as you have proof of purchase you have a valid claim.
I bought a Toshiba tv that developed a fault on the screen(lcd).I had a 4yr warranty with it but the fault appeared after 4.5 yes.Contacted Toshiba customer services about it and they would have replaced the panel but model had been discontinued so was no longer available. They gave me a few hundred pounds in compensation towards a new tv,so always worth making the effort.

Manner2010

Novice Member
no one sees from the bottom right where the stripe begins a dark spot, which does not at all look like a factory defect? you should send the TV for diagnostics that will determine the cause of that spot. I think you were refused from the photo because they saw many similar TVs and this is not a marriage.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I'll message Argos on Monday, hopefully they have better customer service than Phillips.

Remember its up to you to show its a manufacturing fault so they may not just roll over

Supermal

no one sees from the bottom right where the stripe begins a dark spot, which does not at all look like a factory defect? you should send the TV for diagnostics that will determine the cause of that spot. I think you were refused from the photo because they saw many similar TVs and this is not a marriage.
Now you mention,on magnifying the photo at the bottom of the line it is a dark spot that could be the source of the defect.Cause of which can only be determined by the owner or independent engineer.

Manner2010

Novice Member
the stain does not appear to be a manufacturing defect. It looks like physical damage to the TV panel and the service center saw it from the photo, since there are no fools sitting there and refused.

But as always, the manufacturer is to blame)

heinz57

While this may be true, blame and culpability shouldn’t be confused. From the op viewpoint who is seeking restitution for the faulty tv, then culpability rests with the retailer and not the manufacturer as this where your right to redress lies via the Consumer rights act.

Getting the manufacturer involved is only likely to confuse matters and weaken your chances of winning the case in the small claims court if it goes that far.

markfawcett

Sorry to say but that does look like impact damage.

As has been said get in touch with the retailer and their engineers should be easily able to tell whether it is panel failure or not.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom