Philips Q50 DVD-R compatible?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bigfatlad, Aug 2, 2002.

1. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I think im gonna go for the Q50 for my first stand-alone DVD player, but i need to know if its DVD-R compatible. Does anyone know how good or bad this player is with various DVD-R discs? e.g. Traxdata, Datasafe G3, Whitelabel.

I also cant find anything about the Q50 player on the philips.co.uk web page, can some helpful person pass me a URL for info please?

Thank you for any help.

Regards.

db

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  4. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a bit of advice.

I have this player and it is a very buggy piece of hardware. I have now the latest patches installed, but it is not stable yet. After applying the latest patches, it stopped skipping chapters .. etc, but it is still very far away from perfect.

The PS image quality is good. But the machine is not stable. Two nights ago I pressed play and then eject. This caused the machine to hang. I had to switch of the mains, and then turn it back on. This is with the latest firmware.

Another problem is that the interlaced image is awful. My cheapo pioneer gives me a much better interlaced image.

Be careful with this one.

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest what firmware version are you currently using? The 4.15O is a big no-no alright so I hope you haven't it. If so, then revert back to 4.15i of which is probably the best version thus far.

4.13f has awful chroma issues as well...

6. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I am using the 4.15o.

I will go to 4.15i and try again.

Does it really make that much difference ?

7. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for all the replys :)

I think ill keep a close on eye on how you get on with the firmware updates naturally.

...and thanx to encaser for the other forums link.

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've read the 4.15o is the worst of them all at the moment since it brings back all the errors of previous firmwares. From the many many many threads that I have read though, 4.15i is the best one without doubt. The chroma bug is still there but its less evident. Plus theres no paussing/skipping, etc.

If you don't know where to get it from just ask. I've got a link here mate. Hit us back with your findings.

9. widescreen

widescreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Agreed, I tried 4.15o and quickly went back to 4.15i. The 4.15i is very stable, it it is an excellent player with this firmware, although the interlaced component output has problems and the chroma bug in PAL progressive is bad. This is a Hong Kong player, not the euro one.

You also have to be careful with applying firmware as there are two chips available Q50/xx1 and Q50/xx2.

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I've read... I don't know how to find out the chip versions though but I know that my player will have the 4.15N firmware from the off. The player has been shipped today as well so it shouldn't be long until I can test it in prog.scan.

The Chroma bug is annoying alright but almost all players have it. I'm told that in NTSC prog.scan it is hidden better but I don't think I can try out PAL prog.scan since I'm not sure if my Tosh will support it. I plan to only use R1 DVDs anyway so it should be fine.

11. widescreen

widescreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The chip version is written on the back of the player - nothing to worry about though.

You should be OK with NTSC progressive with the Chroma bug as it is mostly hidden thanks to the SAGE.

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good good... Can't wait to get the player now.. Even though most of my R1 DVDs are animés I don't care, it'll be great to watch. Going to keep my eye on the Philips 963SA though.

13. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all.

I went back to 4.15i and all my problems disapeared. I've had it on 4.15i for more than a month till now. Not a single problem.

Thanks again

14. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh this thread is a blast from the past ^_^ Great to hear that you haven't got anymore problems with the Q50 anymore naturally. It really is a great looking DVD player with great performance qualities... Its just a shame that my TV doesn't support PAL prog.scan >_<