1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips PW9618 - buzzing rear speakers

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bigby, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Bigby

Bigby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 9618 has the best picture of any tv, Ive seen (unless you are allergic to the PixelPlus look) - and the sound is rather excellent as well.

However, many people have trouble with the cordless rear speakers. This RF connection is not really a good solution. Too much interference, crackling - and even if there is no noise to be heard, the rear sound is too low and not very accurate.

Philips thought of this - so they made it possible to connect the rear speakers with a cable. BUT: This means, that whenever you put the tv on standby, there is a loud buzzing noise from the rears. It never stops. At least this was the case with my set (36PW9618) and Ive seen it mentioned in a few other posts here as well.

If you have this problem: Demand to have it fixed on warranty. I just got my tv back from repair - and the problem is solved. They changed a transisor inside the tv or something (the problem is in the tv, not the speakers). There is still a very faint buzzing noise, but you only hear it when you stick your head very near to the rears. Before the fix, the noise was horrible. I am amazed how Philips could overlook this. :smashin:

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bigby,

I bought the 36PW9618 six months ago and agree the picture and sound are brilliant. I love the Pixel Plus look.

I had difficulty connecting the rear speakers, due to a silly error on my part so I hard wired them, which was convenient.

My television always has a faint buzz when on standby so I usually switch it off at the set. I assumed this came from the television and not the speakers as other makes of television in the past also had this faint buzz.

I am now in a dilemna. Do I have this huge, heavy 36" set carted away, with possible cosmetic or other damage to it, or do I keep the status quo and do nothing? Probably the latter as I can't bear the thought of being without it!

Thank you for sharing this with us. My buzz isn't intrusive but others may have suffered as you have. It sounds as if you now have perfection, all we ask for in our entertainment world.

3. Bigby

Bigby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps it differs from set to set how loud the buzzing is.

I cant imagine anyone putting up with the noise I had before - it sounded like a siren, with the frequency changing.

By the way - Cynthia, I want to thank you for your many informative posts on this tv. They really helped me to choose this set - a decision I have not regretted.

Bigby from Denmark :hiya:

4. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for those kind words, Bigby. I was so in love with this set that I couldn't help but be enthusiastic about it. However, some people don't like the Pixel Plus picture for some reason and may have cursed me for encouraging them to buy one!

Your buzzing must have been very annoying, particularly with the frequency changing too. I'm so glad your problem has been cured. A pity that Philips didn't change the component before the set went on the market.

I've hardly looked at the forum this summer but started looking again this last week. I'm thinking of getting a DVD recorder so I shall start gleaning the information from that section soon. It took me a year to decide on the PW9618, having read adverse comments on it so many times. Some people have been unlucky with the set they received, it's a pity the quality control inspectors pass them as satisfactory.

Here's to lots of happy television hours for both of us!!!

5. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the rear speakers as wireless , not hard wired, as I have a seperate 5.1 DTS surround system, so this problem will not be an issue for me, but thanks for the warning.

I think the Prologic 2 mode is not that great sound quality from the wireless speakers.

6. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mildred,

I agree, the wireless speakers are not great but just give a little extra dimension to the few and far between Dolby Digital 5.1 programmes on television. I am so tempted to have a separate surround system as there can be no comparison to a television's inbuilt speakers.

I dismantled my Denon hi fi system, which had six white Polk speakers, as the ribbon cable under the carpet was always rucking up and there seemed to be cable everywhere. The subwoofer was a bit of an eyesore too, permanently stained with coffee and cat hairs! The cat was becoming a nervous wreck with the noise from the subwoofer, so I wonder if I dare go that route again!