1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips pw9617

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by andicole, Sep 2, 2002.

1. andicole

andicole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being new to this please can you give me some advice on what I should be looking for.

My pw9617 should be arriving on Tuesday and I now need to buy a dvd player to go with it. Am I correct in assuming that I don't need to bother with a home cinema set up due to the sound / speakers on the TV or would it be wise to buy one anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Andy

I have the 9607, but close enough.

The sound from the TV is excellent, and if you're on a tight budget then stick with it. However a good amp will give better results, and you may also get Pro logic II which is better than the basic pro logic which the set delivers (only applies to stereo stuff of course). Before you splash out on a separate amp I would definitely add a sub-woofer. That will really enhance the audio, especially 5.1 from DVDs

3. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I think the sound quality is superb and I have relegated my old Dolby Surround separate system to the garage in favour of the TV's built-in sound. Maybe add a subwoofer - but that's all........

4. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm still waiting on my PW9617, but I have started looking around for a DVD player. I've heard many good things about the tv's sound, so I may go for a Philips q40 or q50 myself. Looks fantastic, and its part of the matchline range. You'll be able to lose one remote also (I believe). The upgrade potential is there too. I haven't got one yet, so I'm not recommending it, just offering an option which I'm considering myself.
    Matching brands seem to go down well with the girlfriend too...
    Click on the hardware reviews link and have a search.

5. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373

I have the 9616, which is last years model, I love the DD5.1 sound, purists will fault it for maybe not being powerful enough, but for us regular type people:clown: its brilliant when your last TV was a nicam stereo.

Infact I love playing the rock for friends n family to listen to, and I ordered we were soldiers mainly for all the gunplay so I can here it in its glory on my TV rather then just for movie.

It arrived this morning