philips pw9617 patchy screen

andicole

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a pw9617 and have recently noticed that the screen appears a little patchy in places. There are lighter and darker patches across the screen. This is mostly noticeable with a lighter picture. Is there anything that can be done to resolve this, should I be contacting the supplier for an engineer to take a look?

Any ideas, views or help would be appreciated

Andy

Mine is exactly the same.. But then again, so was my Sony FS70...

Thats why I have finally given up with CRT technology and decided to get a Plasma instead.

Whilst an engineer might be able to do something, it will probably result in your TV being swapped and I can almost guarantee that the new one will be the same.

I think you just have to live with it.

Originally posted by Jon Weaver

Thats why I have finally given up with CRT technology and decided to get a Plasma instead.

Whilst an engineer might be able to do something, it will probably result in your TV being swapped and I can almost guarantee that the new one will be the same.

I share your sentiments.

But how much is your Plasma going to cost and aren't they all 100Hz?

Plasma (42" Toshiba or Panasonic (they are the same)) is around £3000 to £3500.

For this you dont' get any TV features (i.e tuner, teletext, speakers etc).. Its just a monitor.

However, you get a real 42" screen (As opposed to a 34" screen on a 36" CRT).

You would also need to buy a stand or wall bracket (another £150-£200) and some converters to convert RGB/SCART to VGA or Componet.

Then you need to have an audio solution to get around the fact that its got no speakers.

So, you need to budget for around £4K.

As to whether its 100hz, there is no answer. Plasmas arn't 50 or 100hz. As they don't "refresh" like a CRT does, there is no frequency quoted..

But, it does give you an image which is as stable as a CRT at 100hz, but with none of the side-effects (i.e digital-artifacts, flicker, geometry).

I hope this helps

Jon

It just so happens that I went into a huge Currys superstore tonight and they had some great Plasmas on show with a 42in Pioneer that had fantastic colours and contrast,I was gobsmacked.I couldn't tell how good it was at motion.You're right,none of the Plasmas quoted said that they were 100Hz or not,apart from the Currys salesman,who said they're all 100Hz and progressive scan.

Do Plasmas smear like 100Hz TV's with motion?

There was a 42in Samsung Plasma in there with a tuner,built in speakers and stand for less than £3000.

The Pansonic is recognised as the best Plasma that you can get, however the Pioneer models are also well respected.

The highly acclaimed Panasonic model is also available as a Toshiba version, which is basically just a re-badged Panasonic.

The Toshiba can currently be purchased from Richer Sounds for £2999 which is an absolute bargain.

However, this based on the old 'series 4' Panasonic and as the 'series 5' is now out, there are less and less stocks of the old model.

Currys were sort right when they said 'progressive scan', but wrong when they said 100hz.

CRTs are 'interlaced' where as Plasmas are not. The signal from your DVD player is interlaced, so the Plasma has a built in de-interlacer outputs a progressive signal to the display.

If you connect a 'Progressive Scan' DVD player to the Plamsa, you bypass the internal de-interlacer and use the one in a DVD player.

But, its not 100hz, thats for sure.

It should also be noted that whilst the Samsung you have seen is undoubtedly excellent value for money, its not particularly brilliant.

If you were seriously interested the Pansonic or Pioneer would be the best choice for picture quality, but they lack things that you would expect for a 'Television'.

If you want more info about this, there is a forum dedicated to 'Plasma and CRT' on this very site.

Are we discussing patches to be cured by a proper de-gaussing by an engineer, borrowing the de-gausser from your local supplying dealer, or something else.
Mail order buyers are, as you say, going to experience the same problem with limitless swap-outs, but that's usually because it's normal to swap instead of send an engineer to optimise.
Sony KV-36FS70s and Philips 32PW9617s do not suffer from unfixable " patches ".

We arn't talking about patches of colour, which can be fixed by degausing.. What we are seeing is an effect which looks like the screen is dirty.

If look look at a stil frame, you can't see it.. But when you have a slow pan, slightly dark marks can be seen which stay still.

In the case of my FS70, as i live in Newport and Sony's TV plant is only down the road (Bridgend), the QA manager and his team engineers came out to have a look.

They couldn't fix it and organized another.. That had the same problem too.

The way I demonstrated the problem was, using my camcorder, taking video of the sky when there were bright, white clouds. As I panned the camera back and forth, you clould clealry see the 'patches'.

In the case of my Philips, I have a vertical area almost like a line in the middle of the screen.

From what I have seen, its just a phenominon of a large CRT>

We arn't talking about patches of colour, which can be fixed by degausing.. What we are seeing is an effect which looks like the screen is dirty.

A-ha, I understand, thanks for the reply.

I have colour problems with my 9617, on a still grey background it looks like the inside of the screen needs cleaning it's so smeary and blotchy looking.
I also have dark areas in the top corners of mine that are more noticeable on green backgrounds when they look blue.
Anyone else have a very faint white line just right of centre?

I also have the black bars which are more noticeable on DVD (ext2) even with a £40 scart, the bars look red on some backgrounds.

I'm awaiting a replacement, is this likely to have all the same issues?

It's a fantastic picture but would be even better if they could fix the annoying problems

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom