1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips pw9617 or pw9527?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by andicole, May 30, 2002.

1. andicole

andicole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying either the Philips 32pw9617 or 32pw9527 when it is available.
    There doesn't appear to be a great deal of difference (excluding the issue regarding tubes) other than the sound. The pw9617 has dolby digital and the pw9527 has dolby 3D.
    I will be buying a home cinema setup to go with this
    Being new to this game I'm not sure which is the best for option.

Any info will be useful

Andy

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If the tube issue doesn't bother you and you'll be buying a separate sound system, just go for the one which you can get the best deal on... I'm currently waiting for my 32PW9617 from John Lewis, should arrive next Thursday.

3. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would go with the Dolby Digital, as I have the 36" 9607 and the sound is fantastic, easily the best I've heard from an integrated solution and the rear speakers are very effective!
    You can also add the home cinema solution later on then. I was also going to go with the seperates, but after hearing the tv, I'm quite happy at the 'mo.

Good luck in your search!

B.

4. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with you I do (Yoda voice). The 9617 has the most impressive sound I have heard from an integrated set. In fact, I had a separate Dolby sound system before (with my old 4:3 Sony TV) but have relegated it to the garage in favour of the less cumbersome speaker set-up of the 9617. The sound quality is easily on a par with the separate sound system I had......if not better!

5. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 32pw9527 has split screen allowing you to watch 2 different TV or AV channels at the same time, while the pw9617 only allows you to watch 1 channel with the other half of the screen with teletext. The 9527 also has a mosaic mode with splits the screen in to 12 pictures showing you whats on all other channels, similar to what the sony FQ75 can do. The 9617 can't do that either.

6. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost correct. With the 9617: you can split-screen a standard aerial feed and an AV feed (giving you two TV channels on screen if you have a satellite feed), or you can split a terrestrial TV feed and 1 AV input (ie DVD, Console etc).

How do I know? Because I have one and I've done it.

7. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you do it on your 9617 - might be handy being able to play on the Xbox whilst the missus watches eastenders :)

Spike

8. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will have to check the setup again but I got my PS2 on the right side with a standard aerial feed on the left. Unfortunately I have moved the TV to the other side of the room now and have ditched the aerial feed (can't be arsed to move everything) so I just use the Sky Digibox instead so I can't actually try it. But I can assure you it is possible - just play with the settings. Bear in mind though that you can't have 2 different AV feeds, just 1 terrestrial and 1 AV.

9. ums69

ums69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    32"/36" PW9527 has NOT mosaic or PIP (PictureInPicture) and it replace the old 32"/36"PW9525.

32"/36" PW9767 has mosaic and PIP.

According to LG.Philips Display, 9527 will have Philips new HD Cybertube and not Quintrix F and this in both 32" AND 36" for the first time. Maybe.......we have to wait and see.... ..