1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips pw9617 bites the dust after 2.5 years

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mykiemike, Jun 22, 2005.

1. mykiemike

mykiemike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my Philips 32pw9617 tv two and a half years ago. It has now stopped working. One day it was ok the next all I got was a flashing red light on the front. I unplugged for 30seconds and tried again to switch on using the remote control. There was a bang at the back and then the tv was totally dead. I took it to a local Tv engineer and its been there ever since. I have been told today that its bad news. The engineer told me that he has replaced the power supply unit 5 times and other components but when the tv was switched on it blew them up again. He has even sent it to philips trade repairers and they have been in contact with Philips engineers but even they can not find the fault and they are not wanting to try any more repairs on it as it keeps blowing up the comopents all the time. They say they have never come accross a fault like this before on a Philips Tv. I have been told that the set could be returned to Philips but this would cost over £200 and is not worth it now that a brand new tv would cost a lot less than I paid for it originally. I would be better to cut my losses and ditch it. I have read on this forum similar stories. I am totally disgusted that a TV of this age should fail after such a short time. I shall be looking to buy a new TV but it will deffinatley not be a Philips!

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, given the age of the telly and the angst it has caused you, why not contact Philips customers relations dept (not customer support) and ask for their opinions on this? 30 months of normal domestic usage is far too short to write this telly off - you deserve a signicant discount on a replacement telly. Regards, yt.