1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips PW6006

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by BallJoint, May 22, 2002.

1. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all the posts in this forum about 28 and 32PW6006s I have narrowed down my choice of TV to the 24" version. However I haven't found any posts relating to this model in particular.

Is the picture as good as the bigger screen versions? One other thing, any idea on what Philips aftersales service is like?

Many thanks

2. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It uses the same kind of tube as the 28 & 32" version and is identically featured.
    The one thing I've noticed in the shops with the 24" version is that the picture's not always centred vertically. This is easily corrected in the service menu though.

I've had no trouble with aftersales service on my 28", but I guess that depends on the retailer you use, as they're your first point of call for any problems within the 12month guarantee. I used Unbeatable and they've been fine with me.

John

3. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John

Are the service menus easy to use, as I've come across loads of threads commenting on difficult they are to use?

Not decided on retailers - think I'll go with a highstreet name (despite the extra price) because at least I can bang on the desk if I have a problem - Euronics is the cheapest I've found at £330. Either that or the dreaded Currys/Comet!

Thanks for your help

4. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If the one you get isn't vertically centred then the only option you'll need to adjust is Vertical Shift (labelled as VSH in the menu) in the Geometry menu. You just put in an acess code (0 6 2 5 9 6 i+) on the remote control to activate the service menu. After that it's no more difficult to adjust than increasing the brightness or volume on the normal TV menu. Just keep a note of the default value (so you can return it to normal if needed), don't touch the other options and you'll have no problems.

Chances are though that yours will be OK out of the box, I've just seen one or two in a shop that aren't.

£330 does seem a little pricey for the 24" version. You can get the 28" version for £329 from Unbeatable (without the stand). Still, I know what you mean about "banging on the desk" though.

John

5. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And remember, if you do need to enter the sevice menu:-

1. Have a pen and paper ready, to write down the default settings incase you do change anything.

2. Proceed slowly, up/down to highlight option, left/right to change values.

Hopefully you won't need to go there, but if you do, I'm sure John and the rest of us 6006 owners will always be around to help. ;)

tom

6. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the confidence boost guys.

Just one other question if you happen to come back to this thread. Is it worth taking out the usual extended warrenties on these TVs? On further investigation the 24pw6006 is about £40 more than the 24" Panny. I think I would rather have the Philips, so I have 2 options:

1. take the Philips and not get the extended warrenty, or

2. get the cheaper Panny and get the Warrenty.

Any feelings on the subject?

BJ

7. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry, don't know anything about the Panny. I just looked at all the tellys in a showroom and figured the PW6006 had the best picture (by quite a margin) in the price range (and better than even a lot of the much more expensive ones). I'm guessing the Philps will have a better picture than the Panny.

I can't really comment on the long term reliability of modern TVs though. I've had mine for 9 months without issue (other than self inflicted misery by touching service menu options I shouldn't have played with :blush: ). I'm guessing you'll be keeping the telly for a few years so I guess you have to ask yourself is it worth living with a TV with a worse picture just to save yourself £40 over the course of a few years?

John

8. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bj, the thing about having a warrenty is that it gives you peace of mind. If the panny is cheaper and has the warrenty then that seems the best candidate, but, have you seen both tv's working, and tried them out?

Panasonic and philips both make excellent tv's, but you have to go for the one you really want, tough decision, (I know I've been there) but from what you've written, your mind already seems made up.

Personally I know if I had to choose again I still wouldn't choose anything else :) sigh

good luck anyway
    tom

9. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, it is a tough decision. Thanks for all the advice. If I can find the extra cash I'll go for the Philips + warrenty (best of both worlds).

Cheers

BJ