1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips PW 9616 Cubertube replacement

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ums69, Feb 11, 2002.

1. ums69

ums69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips in Sweden have not yet replied over the fact that 9616 Cybertube is replaced with Panasonics Tau tube. After talking with Philips today, they said that they are waiting for answer from the Managing Director, but he is still on a very important conference ! :eek:

2. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
  3. ums69

ums69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not officiall statement from Philips, just some Philipsexpert person who´s anonymous ! Maybe the problem is because the reorganisation on Philips and closure of the tube factory in Germany according to sources on this forum ?
    The RealFlat Blackline S Cybertube was manufactured in Germany...

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    They didn't close the CRT plant in Germany, but they are in the process of outsourcing production of electron guns from their plant in Holland. This will take place over a pair of years from what I understand, but as of now the plant is still in operation.

Production of CRT's is however being restructured since the merger of Philips Display Components with LG Electronics. Regular size CRT's (up to 28") are to be produced by the plant in France. The mighty Cybertube is to be produced both by the Aachen, Germany plant and the new plant in Hranice, Czech Republic.

All of this has been stated in press releases on the LG.Philips Display web site (http://www.philipsdisplay.com).

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I took a closer look in a store (Expert Hötorget) at their 32PW9616 that had a Panasonic CRT. It did not have the color purity errors I have on my set. The picture quality was okay. It seems some of the sets are simply messed up for some of the common reasons (bad alignment, faulty components, rough handling) but others are not. I guess the misaligned/damaged sets are subject to the same kind of iffy quality control as we recognize from a certain other brand.

If you feel fine with a Panasonic CRT, its bizarre curvature and the stronger halos the thicker glass causes around bright details, you may gain some from the somewhat lesser SVM artifacting. That is the only practical advantage over the Cybertube as far as I can tell from the sets I have seen. Of course they would have been better off skipping SVM altogether, that would have done both the Cybertube and Quintrix F favour.

There was a 32PW8707 with a Cybertube standing next to the 32PW9616 and the difference in flatness was pretty striking. Ironically, it also had the funny geometry errors that made me return my 32PW8707. They were lesser but still noticable on this set. Oy... does not Philips have at least one widescreen model they have not messed up?

I asked the store to remove a pair of flaps from a free-standing advertisment folder where Philips brags about their CRT's. They agreed to do so.

Philips customer support lied once more to my retailer about the CRT issue. Therefore I sent Philips CE here in Sweden the datasheets for the two CRT's in question to prove once and for all to them they are different (digging deeper into the specs I found they are not even compatible; the mounting lugs differ in position). They said they would forward that e-mail to their product manager. I will however call the store tomorrow and have them take this set back.

This is like that kind of nightmare which keeps repeating itself over and over again when you have migraine.