Bargain Philips PUS7303 43"-65" 30% off for Prime Day

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by sordid_sentinel, Jul 16, 2018.

1. sordid_sentinel

sordid_sentinel

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +487
      Hi folks! This seems like a good discount on some pretty new TV's, I think they were just released a month or 2 ago?

43PUS7303/12 - £419
      50PUS7303/12 - £489
      55PUS7303/12 - £559
      65PUS7303/12 - £909

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0794Z7R3Q

These come with the "P5 perfect picture engine" and Android TV which the cheaper 6xxx series lack. Shame the PUS7503 series with better speakers aren't on sale!

2. TheCrazy

TheCrazy
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      How good are these tvs? Is it worth getting this one over the cheaper 6xxx series?

The sale on Amazon is good, but I can't find much in the way of reviews.

3. Soong

Soong
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Couldn't resist a punt at this price. Crazy that it's been out less than a month.

It ticks a lot of boxes for me so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

4. TheCrazy

TheCrazy
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      What tv would you say this compares to? There are basically no reviews of this.

It also only appears to have a few differences to the 6000 and cheaper series which is also on sale on Amazon prime day now, and 150 cheaper.

And why is this cheaper now?

In another thread someone was complaining about poor black levels to this TV and poor HDR, but it does seem like good price, and I need a new TV.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    5. Soong

Soong
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      No idea to be honest. It just seems like a decent spec mid-range TV.

It's VA which I was after. It has Ambilight which I love and it runs Android which... well it's not bad. It can be sluggish but it has Google Assistant built-in which is great.

I have gotten very used to using Google Home to turn on/off my TV so not having to use a Chromecast is another benefit for me.

I only ever really use my TV for Plex as well and because it's Android TV it has the proper Plex app.

6. TheCrazy

TheCrazy
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      I think I'm going to get it as well. Amazon is coming to collect my older TV back today, as I was having some issues with it. But it was an 8 bit panel, with some fakeass HDR, so probably for the best anyway.

This has a 10bit I think? And HDR 10 I think, so it I am assuming the HDR will be much better.

7. Mane UK

Mane UK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      Lots of panels are 8-bit+frc (dithering) to simulate 10-bit colour. If done well it's pretty much impossible to tell, even for professionals. There are a few threads on here with people unsure whether the TV they own has a 10-bit panel or not, and opinions and 'proof' both ways!

HDR performance is very variable between sets right now - so is expectation, I've seen people wowed by TVs that I would consider to have very poor HDR simply because of what they are used to.

I love ambilight, I'm glad people are getting this TV. It's not 'HDR premium', nothing in this price range is, but hopefully it looks good for you - it sure seems like a good deal!

8. TheCrazy

TheCrazy
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      What is HDR premium? Just the higher end sets? My current TV has some weak HDR, and even then, even though it doesn't pop, I find it pretty good.

I ordered the TV, as I don't think a better deal is going to be found anytime soon. The other option would be to try and hold onto this current TV and return it later in the year, perhaps November. I mean, this TV is £400 off, so I don't foresee the deals being too much better then.

And in all honesty, I don't want to spend more than £1000, so £900 is fine. Just wondering if it would be better to wait till later in the year to do this.

You can just download apps on Android TV? I read a negative review on amazon saying the 7000 series doesn't have channel 4 and some other apps while the lower end 6000 does, but I assumed this person just did not know to download them. It would be nice to have the apps for sure, but I can use my PS4, but I think I do want that option.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    9. Mane UK

Mane UK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      HDR premium is a set of minimum specifications
      https://www.*/news/ultrahd-premium-201601054224.htm
      Sony, for example, don't get certification but have some sets that meet the requirements - so the badge doesn't mean much but the defined spec is a good way to compare.
      TV to meet the spec has equivalent premium pricing too (see the primeday Philips 9002 deal)

UK catchup apps for Philips 2017 models are currently restricted due to administrative issues, I don't know if the 2018 models have the same issue - I believed they launched with (android version) oreo and all the relevant apps already available, but now I'm not so sure. The android tv play store is 'curated' but any android apk can be installed by searching and downloading from the Web browser.
      I have an app to force all apps to landscape, and one to turn the remote into a mouse.

I think that was a great deal, black Friday might have something better value but it might not - waiting for a better and cheaper deal is a loop you can get caught in forever! Buying now, at that price, seems like a great choice.

In the iplayer app you can go to settings, put it into beta, and watch the uhd/hlg demo reel - looks great!

Let us know how the TV when it arrives

10. md1985

md1985
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I think its main rival is probably the Samsung 40nu6400 but they also do 43nu7400/7470. The 7400 is probably a bit better than the philips at a guess but still hasnt stopped me going for the philips. 419 is an excellent price and we will probably only see the samsung come down to around 550 later in the year for black friday or january sales etc. Not sure how cheap the previous samsung 40mu7000 went down to? I dont remember it cheaper than 550.
      As far as i can tell panasonic have only released a 40" in the fx600 range this year and sony still have a 8000 series and 7000 series. 7000 probably more of a rival.

11. bloodhound1

bloodhound1
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      My 65PUS7303 arrived yesterday, I have managed to wall mount and so far I’m happy with it. There are literally 100’s of picture settings, has anyone else managed to have a play around with their setting to give me a good starting point?

12. md1985

md1985
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I went on the picture perfect section and found two philips tv videos on settings for some older sets. One was 65 inch and one 49. The videos are on you tube. They seem to be pretty good for me with my 43" but im no expert.

13. Soong

Soong
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Had this a while now and I'm really pleased with it. Looks great wall mounted. Android OS is a bit of a mess but I'm hoping the Oreo update straightens it out a bit.

Has anyone had theirs calibrated? I'm wondering if anyone will share their settings?