1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips ProntoPro NG TSU7000 / RU980

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by StooMonster, Mar 22, 2005.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    If I pick up a TSU7000 in USA, what problems if any will I have using it at home? Found one can get reconditioned ones for not much more than £200 and brand new ones for £250 (with the currently weak USD).

What's the real difference? I read that software difference is the TSU7000 is preprogrammed with American devices and RU980 with European ones, and that the hardware difference is in infrared frequency for repeaters.

Can I update software to make it think it's a RU980, or don't I need to bother?

StooMonster

2. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Voltage difference. Can be solved by buying a new transformer. Plugs right into the US cradle.

2) RF frequency is not the same. If you want an RF extender you will have to get the US version. It's actualy not allowed :rolleyes: the use the US frequency in Europe.

I bougth the 980. It's more expensive but I was worried about repair issues and the RF frequency. Here in the Netherlands busses you prety much the same frequency.

3. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can a TSU7000 be flashed with a 980 firmware to give a European device database, or is it stored only in the Pronto software?

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    I've got a TSU7000, and i simply erased the american database, and programmed it with fresh codes from my remotes. Simple as.

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    This is what I would like to do too, if possible. But I bet the TSU7000 can only be flashed with TSU7000 firmware and not RU980 firmware. However, many reports say the learning feature can handle all sorts of remotes (as MJN points out too).

Is there a database of configuration where one can download codes for remotes? :confused:

Saying that I can't believe these expensive devices are RS232 and not USB for PC connections, that's a PitA. :eek:

But from my research what appears to be the real difference between TSU7000 and RU980 is simply the price, about twice as much for "European" version; cheers Philips. :mad:

StooMonsters

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    There is no need to flash firmware, there are no features that differ between the models.

My TSU7000 came with a USB connection, and not serial.

Loads of already downloaded codes can be had at www.remotecentral.com

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Excellent that USB. Are there different models one should watch out for then? USB/Serial. Or are retailers listing serial connection making a mistake? Guess they are as product PDF says USB!

Thanks for link.

StooMonster

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    As far as i was aware all the 980/TSU7000 are USB, as they have 32mb RAM. Could imagine transferring 32mb via serial :eek:

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Shopping next week for me then. :)

StooMonster

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Stu,

Recently bought a TSU7000 second-hand after debating over the RU980 vs. TSU7000.

Cool device and a nice step-up from my old RU940 black and white pronto...especially the screen.

One of the main things for me was getting a better screen, additional hard buttons and also the hard cursor keys, as pressing cursors keys on the LCD can be a little painful...

USB transfer is pretty quick and much easier than the old serial connection.

Don't think I could pay RRP, but imported or second-hand they are worth looking at...

Be aware that if you haven't used a pronto before, these things can consume a serious amount of your spare time in order to get them just right and tweaked correctly!!! :eek: (especially if you are a perfectionist!! :cool: )

Also check out http://www.remotecentral.com if you haven't already...

Cheers

JJ

P.S. RU980 firmware cannot be uploaded to the TSU7000 - but this is not an issue...

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Jasonjo, thanks for your comprehensive reply it was very helpful.

I hear what you say about configuration, my friend RAMiAM has warned me of that but it sounds kind of fun.

I can not imagine paying full European price for RU980 / TSU7000 either, but I'm often in USA and have found that one can pickup "factory refurbished ones by Philips" for £200-£250 which doesn't seem half bad.

So a TSU7000 and a Sony PSP is what I plan to bring back after next week's trip. :)

StooMonster

12. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    All fully declared to customs, of course!! :cool: ;)