1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Pronto V Marantz

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by David Weller, Oct 22, 2004.

1. David Weller

David Weller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a universal remote to replace the collection of remotes on coffe table.

It needs to be programmable for the following

Pioneer Plasma
    Arcam Amp
    Arcam CD
    Arcam DVD
    Yamaha Musiccast
    Sony DAD
    Sony or Panasonic HDD/DVD Recorder (not bought it yet)

Can you download skins similar to manufacturer originals ?

Can you programme for simplicity ? Not everyone in house is remote friendly

Are any others out there i should look at as well ?

David

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    When combined with the edit software both Philips and Marantz remotes are very flexible. I only have the older Marantz RC5000 with monochrome screen but have found it to be infinatley adaptable. The edit software allows you to do just about anything you could possibly want. The latest generation of colour screen models (Pronto Pro etc) have built in RF capability as well as high resolution screens. I dont think theres much between the Philips and Marantz its all down to personal preference with regards to the operating system. Best thing is to go and have a play with the real thing and see what you prefer.

3. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with Thunder on this one. There's not much to choose between the two. We have had a Pronto for about six years now and it's the best thing we have ever bought for TV viewing. Over the years I have refined the design to the one we are now using and although my other half is easily baffled where remotes are concerned (bit of a role reversal there, eh!!) even he finds it quite easy to control all of our home cinema equipment.

Go on to remotecentral.com and have a look at the hundreds of custom-made screen designs on offer there. You can download them free. You can also download the Prontoedit software to have a play around with them even before you decide whether to get a Pronto/Marantz.

My tip is, don't try to copy the designs of each of your remotes, otherwise your family members will just get confused when using the remote. Design a simple setup so that whatever device you are on, the buttons for "play", "pause" or whatever are always in the same place on the screen.

Hope this helps