1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Pronto RU950 Now Available

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by loonatic, Apr 1, 2003.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  2. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very intrested mate, that would be good.

3. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very intrested mate, that would be good.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mine should be here tomorrow too. Looking forward to playing... :)

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, mine turned up about half an hour ago.

First impressions? Not impressed. Bigger than the original but lighter. Screen is way harder to read in normal light despite the additional greyscales. This surprised me. Contrast adjustment steps are way bigger (i.e. not as gradual adjustment). The unit is REALLY slow to respond to key presses and screen touches and the screen needs to be pressed harder than my original Prontos (may get better with time).

Overall I am very disappointed with it and will most likely be returning it later today. IMO, this is a real backward step and I'm only glad I didn't sell my original units.

Interesting to hear what anyone else thinks.

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Still hope to get mine today but if it's like you say then I'm going to be very dissapointed too.

I never got on with the old version as I found it difficult to read, so if the new one is worse :confused:

Where did you buy yours from Messiah ? and will they take it back just because you don't like it ?

Will post my thoughts when it turns up.

Cheers, Lee

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Lee

Got mine from Letsautomate and yes they will take back as they have a full satisfaction guarantee. Just as well as did not know that until I looked this morning when I realised how disappointed I was with it. I understand the slow screen change is a known issue and fixed with a firmware upgrade but to be honest the other factors have put me way off it and it will be going back tomorrow

You may not feel the same way I do but I will be interested to know what you think. I have now decided to put the money toward a proper (colour :) ) one and be done with it. I had a Marantz 9200 for a very short while (when I did not have the time to program it) and that was streets ahead of this one. Can get one for £650 (lot of money though for a remote) but I also think by the time you buy the desk charger and RF unit (if u need them) you're not gonna be far off the price of a 9200 anyway.

Wait to hear what you think.

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Messiah,

Hmm...well I guess I too am more than a little bit disappointed.

I did own one of the original Pronto’s a few years back and I think this one is smaller and lighter…although I did have the rechargeable battery for that one.

I like the styling and the blue – green – backlight.

The contrast control on the side is useless…one notch down and it’s washed out, one notch up and it’s too dark.

It does take it’s time changing from page-to-page but I can’t remember if the old Pronto did this as well – I sold it some time ago now.

The screen is nice and clear at the moment, but then it’s pretty dark in here, will have to try it out in full daylight conditions tomorrow. But I agree you have to press quite hard on the screen and be pretty accurate – the hot spot for the buttons seems far smaller than the button itself – or is that just my big fingers.

I will have a play with it tonight before making any final decision on it’s future but after waiting over 3 months since I first heard about these and not getting one of the bargain Pronto’s from Richer Sounds I do feel deflated about the whole thing.

Was the 9200 that much more responsive than the new Pronto ? and was it like viewing in full daylight conditions ?

I was planning on getting both the charger and the RF transmitter so the Marantz might be better…but over 600 notes for a remote…I’m not sure.

I had not read letsautomate’s returns policy which is a definite bonus – do you have to justify your reasons or just say you didn’t like it ?

Cheers, Lee

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Lee

In one way I am glad it was not just me. The new one is the same width, slightly less deep but about 1 inch longer/taller and much more cheaply made (way less quality materials used)

Like you I found the screen was either washed out or way too dark just one step up on the contrast. I used mine this morning in normal daylight conditions and whilst it may be slightly better in darker conditions there will be many times I want to use it during the day. My existing prontos (original 1 MB versions) do not have anything like the delay on the screen changes and you also do not have to press anywhere near so hard (in fact it is almost too light a touch) or so accurately.

All I can say to anyone considering one is do not think the 16 greyscales will give you a better screen and if you can pick up one of the old models from RS do it, even at 150 notes.

As to LA returns policy you just send it back even without a reason and as long as it is as received they will credit you.

Quote from their web site
    "Please return the item stating that you do not want it, within 14 days of purchase, along with a copy of your Delivery Note. "

10. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Messiah,

Where do you plan on gettong the 9200 from ? the only place I've seen it is on Keene's site but they are very expensive and on P'Tech's site which now seems to take you straight to letsautomate.

I have been playing about setting mine up this evening and I think I could live with the screen and have got used to the non-touchyness of the screen but it can be infuriatingly slow at times.

Also, I was thinking that the extra buttons at the bottom would be useful but find that they aren’t – especially the cursor buttons, as it does not have an enter/ok function, which is a shame.

Just not sure I want to spend much more on a remote but need to regain the other half of my sofa from the 9 remote’s I have.

Cheers, Lee

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Lee

You can get the 9200 from http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0_yScA07SCKC&vp=6&bg=108&bp=9200x&bi=0 for £647.14.

If it is only the slow screen that is now bugging you apparently there is a firmware upgrade which addresses this. I guess RemoteCentral will be the best place to find out about this.

The colour Marantz is truly one sexy piece of kit and can do so much more than the new Pronto.

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    loonatic
    Uncle Eric is about to start a Power Buy for the 9200. Price is still to be anounced, but knowing UE it will be good! :clap:
    Best price I have seen for the 9200 so far is £550 for an ex-display but in perfect condition. If the power buy doesn't start soon I will be getting that one. :smashin:

Mark.

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
  14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Nice one Mark :smashin: Think I'll give UE a call and see if he has an idea of price and timescales. Thanks again.

15. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  16. evildonut

evildonut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any difference between the 5200 and the 9200 other than the colour screen?

17. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    evildonut,
    I believe the 9200 & 5200 are identical remotes other than the colour screen.
    I also think that with the 5200 the RF extender is an optional extra, but packaged with the 9200.

Mark.

18. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just a question,
    i noticed on the Marantz RC9200 that it has a IR/RF Transmission Capability ,
    does this mean, as my screen is rf i can teach the remote to learn the rf code and then use this to operate the screen and remote masking instead of the 2 key fobs i have.?

19. evildonut

evildonut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark! I have a Pronto atm (RU890), I like it but I often regret the lack of arrow keys for DVD/Freeview playback - the 5200 might be for me then!
    Now, how much can I sell my Pronto for on eBay :devil: