1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Pronto - rf transmitter?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by mark raeburn, Mar 21, 2003.

1. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I am about to purchase a pronto (the £150 not the pro), I think that I have read somewhere that this emits an rf signal as well as an IR signal. Can anyone confirm that my understanding is correct.

The reason I need to know if that I currently have my equipment in a cabinet and am using powermids to convert the signal to rf so that I can control it from within the cupboard. If the prono does this it would mean that I could elimete that transmitter powermid (i.e the external one) from the set up.

Cheers

Mark

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    It doesn't/won't.

There are DIY Pronto mods around for rf but your warranty would be gone.

http://www.laser.com/dhouston/pronto.htm

Attaining control over your powermid may not be as straightforward as learning an IR signal.

Mike.

3. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks for your help

4. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The new Pronto NG (the RU950) does offer an optional RF extender but the units haven't surfaced in shops yet but I believe it will be much cheaper than a Pronto Pro with RF extender.

Although it's significantly more expensive than the current generation (RU890 and RU940) Pronto, it will offer addtional features such as a higher resolution 16-shade B&W screen, more hard buttons and a cursor and the ability to configure the whole screen. You might want to hang on until the end of March to see how things progress?

5. Mario Nicholas

Mario Nicholas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've used the prontoPro RF extender device & it's range is very poor, the only application that it's suitable for is to control equipment inside a cupboard in the same room.
    The RF option only allows comms. between the two devices & won't control RF equipment; door openers etc.