1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Pronto or Philips Pronto Neo?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by DazB, Mar 20, 2003.

1. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help please.

Im buying a Pronto for a friend’s birthday, and I cant decide on the Philips Pronto (£149.95 from RS) or the Philips Pronto Neo (£119.95 also from RS). Is the Pronto worth the extra cash or is it a personal preference thing? What would you go for? :confused:

Any advice would be much appreciated

D

2. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a Pronto Neo to replace my RC5000 as I wanted hard buttons, but cancelled the order after trying the software for a couple of days. It doesn't have the flexibility of the Pronto/RC5000 or higher models. The inability to set it up like my RC5000, but with hard cursor buttons was a part of my decision.

3. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MartinB, I understand what your say and I think good software is more important than hard buttons. Is there an alternative I haven’t thought off with good software and hard buttons in the same price range?

D

4. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hard buttons is definitely the crux of the usabiliity difference between the two models and that boils down to your (friend's) personal preference.

The Pronto is much more capable than the Neo but requires more setup work to be as effective in use.

I personally would go for the Pronto for that reason as the Neo has never really taken off and software support is poor. The Pronto has very good software support, particularly from the 3rd party editor called Tonto written by Stewart Allen.

There really isn't a viable alternative to the Pronto (in terms of features) in that price range, although the OFA "Kameleon" touch-screen remote is favoured by some because of its relative simplicity.

5. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decision made. Im going for the Pronto. He can always take it back if doesn’t like it.

Thanks for the link Loada, I’ll pass it on. The question now is if I want one! :D

D

6. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    You might also want to point him towards the remote control mecca on the web, which is Daniel Tonk's excellent Remote Central site. There are endless Pronto downloads on there and a really excellent support forum for just about every type of remote out there.

Incidentally, Philips are on the verge of releasing the next generation Pronto in Europe, called the RU950 (Pronto NG). It's been around for a short time in the USA as the TSU3000. Not sure about pricing though.

7. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks good.

I found the price here

thanks, I night look at buying that one!

D