Philips Pronto and LCD VCR Remotes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by paulw77, May 1, 2001.

1. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all,

To program my VCR, you have to enter the start and stop times and channel number into the remote. This appears on an LCD on the remote. You then press Transmit and the info is sent to the VCR.

I was about to buy a Pronto but suspect that I will not be able to duplicate the VCR programming described above.

Am I right ? I don't want to buy a Pronto and still have to use my VCR remote.

2. bighairy

bighairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, a Pronto cannot emulate data entry remotes like your VCR. I have a similar situation with my Hitachi VCR which I must program from the original remote.

I don't see the Pronto as an absolute replacement for the original remotes. At first I tried this but then I realised that putting all the set-up features and non-sense that you hardly ever touch on the Pronto was a waste of time and effort. My Pronto just makes things easier by switching the amp around so my Wife doesn't even know it, or allowing direct access to 50 Sky channels without remembering all their numbers.

I would agree that programming the VCR is a more common operation, but I just live with using the VCR remote.

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other great thing about the Pronto, is that you can have buttons from several different remotes on the same screen. While a movie is playing, I have the main DVD screen showing, but also on there I have buttons for my projector & amp that I commonly use. ;)