1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Pronto 970 or 980 ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by PCNutty, Jun 22, 2005.

1. PCNutty

PCNutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi i'm new to these remotes & i have been looking at them for the last few days. Can anyone tell me the differents between the 970 & 980 + would i be best to get it form the UK or US + i don't know is i can justify spending £400 on a remote. I really could do with some feedback on these

Thanks

PCNutty

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Remote Central

EVERYTHING you need to know is there. You might also want to check out the forums for the Pronto/ProntoNG remotes (using the search facility).

Hope that helps...

3. PCNutty

PCNutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for that, i have had a look through. i am a bit dubias about buying from the states in case of faulty goods, customs & so on. So i have found the ru950 which i understand is the gray screen for £250 with the docking station + p&p is this a good price for the uk version & how have people got on with them ? Are they a god send to using 5 remotes ?

4. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the 950 and it's excellent. Currently have mine replacing 9 remotes. BTW the 980 is the new replacement for the 970, it has a better screen [262,000 colours instead of 64,000 I think] and more RAM amongst other enhancements.

I got mine ex-demo for a bit less than £250 with the docking station.

5. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    You're right to be wary of buying from the USA (due to customs/VAT, delivery charges etc) - sometimes once this is all taken into consideration, the end cost isn't a million miles away from the a good online UK price - shopping around is the key, quite often eBay can help here too although there can be warranty issues buying from there.

What you have to understand about the touchscreen remotes like the RU950/970/980 (and the USA equivalents) is that they are quite involved to setup - you need to be quite Windows/PC savvy and there is quite a learning curve if you want to start making your own configurations from scratch. I suggest you download the editor software (from Remote Central) and have a play - get a feel for what the remote can do - all the editors have an "emulator" in them and you can download other peoples' configs to see what's possible and perhaps see how much you can borrow for your own purposes.

A nice halfway house might be the Sony RM3100 remote - it has a touchscreen and plenty of hardbuttons. It's not as configurable as the Prontos but it's very capable - I recently bought one (new) from eBay for around ~£70 (inc delivery from the USA) for my brother who's not particularly technically-minded and he's very happy with it. Review of it is...well, you know which website it's at by now, don't you? ;)

6. PCNutty

PCNutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Could i have my projector running off this remote, the 950 that is ?

7. homethx

homethx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    970 has 256 colour and the 980 has 65000 colours

8. PCNutty

PCNutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I downloaded the manual & Edit program for the 950 & liked what i sort, it looks like it might take a while to get my head round the edit program but thats ok. As the RU950 is more of my price range i have ordered this today. Hopefully will take delivery 2morrow so it give me something to do at the weekend. Anyone got any good starter tips ?

9. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The best advice I can give is to download some of the PCF (RU950 configurations) from Remote Central and see how other people do it. If you can get configs that already have discrete codes for your equipment, that will help a lot.

10. PCNutty

PCNutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Got this yesterday & wow its cool just finished instailling everything i want this morning, making my own buttons & backgrounds. I am so glad i got this.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,183
    Prepare to see hours of your life disappear !!