philips problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by manny, Jun 11, 2005.

1. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hello folks, i suppose someone'll say i shouldn't have gotten a philips in the first place, but hey, it was free!
    anyway, the problem is, i put it on this morning, there was a partially recorded dvd+r in it, and it spat it out. i've tried a whole lot of discs and any blank or un-finalised +r discs are spat out. +rw seems okay, and finalised +r is okay.
    now, i need a replacement machine quite urgently, i don't have time to wait for some un-cooperative human to not really fix it. does anyone know, if i buy another machine, perhaps a sony multi-format one, will it be able to recognise and finalise my un-finalised discs?
    any help much appreciated, look forward to hearing from someone...
    anyone...
    please?

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    Manny, look at 'scribble71' thread posted on 26/5/05
    similar problem with his philips and some suggested solutions

3. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks steve, that is a similar issue. if all else fails i will look into finalising on a pc. it was mentioned that it may be difficult even to finalise on another philips machine! they really know how to keep their public happy!
    so has anyone tried this? or on another manufacturer's machine? i am interested in the sony multi-format recorders, and this would be a lot easier for me as the only pc dvd+-r drive i have access to is in work, and well, they'd rather i was doing something else :)

4. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sony recorders are not multi-format. They have a bastardised version of +RW. Sony don't even market them as multi-format, they instead use the rather ambiguous phrase "Dual-RW".

--Loob.

5. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well folks, here's an update on this problem, just in case anyone wants to know. i went ahead and bought the new Sony 510 dvd r/hdd machine, and very good it is too. but to my specificic problem; with bated breath i loaded a partially recorded but unfinalised dvd+r into the machine. it whirred away for a little while, displaying "loading disc", and i began to fear the worst. then ... nothing. a blank screen. so i pressed "title list" on the remote and lo and behold, up came a list of all the titles on my disc, complete with little thumbnails! i was then able to dub these over to the hard drive, just in case i was going to have to put them on a completely new dvd. the machine seems to do a bit for bit copy rather than reprocessing the picture, so that's good. then, breath yet again bated, i finalised the disc. no error messages. i took the disc out and put it in my dvd player. up came a sony menu screen, no thumbnails but a title list, and it played just fine. so, i lose my philips machine's menu page, but i still have my recordings, and i can finalise the discs! hooray!
    for the next couple of discs at least i'm still going to copy them over to the hard drive first in case something goes wrong when finalising, but it looks as though my problem is solved, and i've got a better machine as well!