1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Plasmas with Pixel Plus

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GadgetObsessed, May 27, 2003.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    Has anybody seen the new Philips plasmas with P+ on display?
    I was looking at the Hitachi 32PD3000 but may consider the new 32" Philips as I have seen it at a much lower price. (£2199 at bedirect.co.uk)
    I have seen the Hitachi against the previous non P+ Philips (9964?) and I have to say that the Philips display was truly awful.
    Hopefully the new Philips is a big improvement - it appears to use the same Alis glass as the Hitachi.
    Also there will be a 37" Philips available later on - which is my ideal screen size - 42" displays just look too big to me.

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  3. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Saw the 32" in Binns (House of Fraser) Middlesbrough and got to say that I wasn't impressed. They only had DVD source (playing Ice Age!) and I asked for a 'film' film as opposed to CGI that looks good on anything and got Mission Impossible. They had obviously just taken it out of the box and plugged it in and it looked awful. Played around with the settings a while (I'm no expert and just had a fiddle) which improved things a lot but still had a lot of artifacting on bright moving images. (i.e view out of the train window on one scene). This was coming from a Prog Scan Philips DVD and generally ddn't like it at all.

Tried another film which was a very dark period thing noticed that on moving objects/people there appeared to be a 'cloud' around them as though the screen couldn't keep up.

As a non-expert I can only describe it looking like the Pigpen character from the Charlie Brown cartoons/books that constantly has a cloud of dust around him. Not the most technical description but seems about right to me!

Anyway - as a complete novice and prospective buyer I in no way would think about buying one. Obviously there will be people that have them and know what they are doing and have set them up properly but first imperssions count and mine weren't good. Shame because its a lovely looking thing with the stand and its important for the other half that it looks good when we get a screen. (Fair point!):)

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It may be quite pretty but in WAF terms no 1 is the LCD Sony (drop dead gorgeous shame about the price) followed by the Hitachi and then the Sony Plasma

5. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Thats why we eventually went for the Hitachi. Should be delivered next week. Best thing is that it was her idea that we buy a plasma in the first place:eek: