1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by samroyle, Mar 20, 2005.

1. samroyle

samroyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sam.royle@btinternet.comI PURCHASED A PHILIPS 42" PLASMA #42PF9945 DECEMBER 2004.
    > FOR MOST OF THE TIME THE PICTURE WAS PERFECT BUT AFTER A FEW DAYS I
    > NOTICED A BLURRING OF COLOUR WHICH WAS INTERMITTENT. PHILIPS SERVICE
    > ADVISED ME TO HAVE IT TESTED AT MY LOCAL PHILIPS SERVICE CENTRE. AFTER
    > 11 DAYS THE SET WAS RETURNED WITH THE ENGINEERS REPORT STATING, FAULT
    > NOT CONFIRMED MEETS MANUFACTURES SPECIFICATION. I SPOKE TO THE SENIOR
    > ENGINEER AND HE CONFIRMED THAT THE PROBLEM WAS KNOWN AND CONSIDERED TO
    > BE ACCEPTABLE BY PHILIPS. PHILIPS DECLINED SENDING A REP TO DISCUSS THIS ISSUE.
    I VISITED COMET AND CURRYS TO VIEW ALL THE PLASMA MODELS AND FOUND THAT ALL HAD THE SAME FAULT SOME BETTER SOME WORSE. THE SALESPERSON SAID IT WAS A KNOWN PROBLEM WITH ALL PLASMA TVs. !!!!
    > I HAVE SEEN PHILPS AND OTHER MAKE PLASMA TVs, AND THIS FAULT WAS ON
    > ALL I HAVE SEEN,BUT WOULD NOT
    > RECOMMEND PHILIPS PLASMA TO ANYONE.
    PHILIPS CUSTOMER SERVICE REGARDING THIS ISSUE WAS NO HELP.
    :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

2. EL DOONUS

EL DOONUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had same problem/correspondance with Philips.The bottom line is that plasma tv's are nowhere near as good as a box standard 28" widescreen tv no matter what ANYONE says to the contrary.You either grin and bear it or return it.Unfortunately I built my house round this tv(quite literally)so am in the grin and bear it camp.And before the Panny loving professionals have a go I've seen one of those in action and it's no better

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    not to 'have a go' mate but there are so many factors that can affect pq that having seen one panny doesn't really make a concrete case........you don't see any panny owners here complaining about colour "blurring", the pq on a panny with good sources and connections is excellent.

4. EL DOONUS

EL DOONUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should have specified 'sky' and 'football' which is why I bought the thing in the first place.My mate has a panasonic with all the top connections(he's into his hi-fi and all that)and while it is excellent for dvd's(as is mine by the way)it is no better for football.A lot of people will be buying plasmas in the near future with prices reducing and a lot of these people will have viewing football high up their list of reasons for buying it.They will be so disappointed

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    yep footy on sky is not brilliant but i certainly wouldn't consider it unwatchable...the pitch can be a bit blocky at times but it was no better on my old sharpe 32"....which wasn't a cheapo telly (£800+)

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Poor quality pictures with football on sky is surely an issue with sky and their crap bitrates that they use for broadcasting isn't it? I had a 24" 4:3 CRT before my current plasma and even that used to show compression artefacts when watching certain digital channels.

Could it be a case that your sky digital signals are the issue as opposed to the plasma? A bit like blaming your car for the crap state of British roads.

S.

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    :D nicely put!

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Video scalers do help here, for a small stack of cash.... I'd say the philips is one of the very worst offenders here though, compared to a well set up panasonic they are dire.

9. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I do not completly buy blaming the source for the bad football performance. I currently have a 50" RP CRT and the football looks fantanstic from sky+. Same source and plasma/lcd/DLP all look poor. I think this is the one (and only) area that RP CRT out perform the other models.

10. samroyle

samroyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain why for 80% of the time the picture is very near perfect and only intermitently craps up.
    Also Philips service laid the blame on the broadcast/camera work !!
    Ps. can you explain what artefacts is

11. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you buy this set from and for how much?

If it really is a Philips 42PF9945 then it is some ancient model, and it certainly wasn't current in Dec 2004.

I have a Philips 42PF9946 in my bedroom right now and it is excellent...neither football nor anything else shows any artefacts or bleeding...

12. samroyle

samroyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think if I put mine in the bedroom it will be excellent all the time to..
    It really is a Philips42PF9945 and is excellent for about 80% of the time

13. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, but if you negotiatied a swap for a 9946 model it might. i was only trying to offer some help...

those old panels do display terrible posterisation (which i think is the colour blurring you refer to)...if it can be reproduced without fail when eg a face moves across the screen, then this is it for sure...when things don't move across the screen (maybe 80% of the time?), it should look peachy.

14. samroyle

samroyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take your point, the only problem is, Philips! they are sticking to the policy of `it meets manufacturers specifications`!! and declined to go any further.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Regretably I think you have left it too late to kick up a stink with the retailer, though depending on what you paid and what was said, you might stand a chance if he misled you. Unlike Superpixel, I do not believe you would be much better off with the latest philips panel, it's only a re-badged Samsung. So unless you can prove the misleading bit, over the age of the model or something, you are likely to have to write it off to experience. Not typical of all plasmas, just grotty Korean ones.

16. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went down the line of 'not fit for purpose' with my 9946 - It was collected the next day with a full refund.....

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You pleased with the PW, Stuart?

18. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was your 9946 the 37" or 42" ?!

i find it hard to believe, unless you had a fault, that the 42PF9946 could ever be called unfit for purpose...its picture is superb, with no nasties whatsoever. i know the Panasonic as good as the back of my hand, so I'm not setting low standards either.

the 37 and 42 are completely different (i guess the 37 uses a very old panel)...i too was guilty of assuming they were similar...the 37 i discovered was horrendous, with the same problems sam is describing.

swapping a Philips for a Philips might be more successful, hence the suggestion...at £1500 for an all-in-one TV for the bedroom it was a great buy...starting all from scratch though - the latest prices of say the Sony KE-P42M1 (£1650), or the new Panasonic Viera 50 (£1800 maybe) mean you dont have to bother with a Philips really...every man and his dog would rather have a Panasonic or Sony TV over pretty much anything else, lets face it, and for once Joe Public would be spot on...

19. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very much so - Night and day difference between the PW7 and the 9946

20. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Mine was the 37". I was unaware that there was a difference.

I did have the same poor serivce as samroyle from Philips though - They told me "All Philips plasma do it, it's a cheap panel !" but they didn't argue too much over a refund after a few phone calls.

21. samroyle

samroyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Defo 42" Plasma, Defo Intermitent, Defo Crap Service, Defo No Refund From Philips And Supplier Quotes Philips As Fit For Purpose!