1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips plasma ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by richielee, Nov 30, 2003.

1. richielee

richielee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, all
    I am new to the site and considering buying a philips 37" plasma tv. There is not alot of info on these on the forum, is this a good thing or a bad thing?
    Does anyone have the 37" model and is it any good?

Thanks!

2. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen a rave review of the Philips 42PF9965 (the new one with Pixel Plus) - and there is a 37PF9965 model. Not heard any feedback specifically on the 37 incher. I've seen it for less than £2600 which seems like a good deal, if it's as good as the review for the 42" said. But there's many people here who will say that reviews can be very misleading - and the only way to find out which screen you like is to actually look at one. Probably good advice!

peejay

3. Tim_UK

Tim_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 42" version and am delighted with it.

The amount of features - picture in picture stuff etc - is unbelievable.

37" version is identical in terms of features as it has the same receiver box.

4. smartins

smartins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm also considering the 42" version... Trying to decide on either the Philips 42PF9965, Pioneer 434 or Sony KE42TS2E.

What I like on the Philips is the 2 tunners for the PIP, PixelPlus and the option to pay it in 12x with 0% of interest.

The Pionner looks very good (haven't seen one on display yet) but.... I just don't know :/

Steven

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Any reason for not considering the panny PW6 or PA20??? smartins?
    PIP is not of huge benefit and if the 2 tuners are analogue they are limited use especiallly when analogue is turned off!

6. smartins

smartins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, the most widespread brands here in Portugal are Sony and Philips. If I decide to go the Panny or Pioneer way I'll have to deal with another shop that I never worked with before but does have good reputation (FNAC)...

I do have a very nice deal on a Panasonic TH42PW6B (
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th42pw6b/index.htm) on a display that was used by a company for 5 days on a display and is no longer needed. But this one does not have a tunner and probably not even a scart board....

I think I'll have to visit a few more shops to try to see some more on display and make my decision from there.

I was able to see the Philips 42" with PP and the Sony and on details the Philips won hands down. The Sony had a much more softer image.

Steven

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    good thing about PW6 is you can choose which inputs you want see av-sales website for more info!

8. richielee

richielee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

Went to comet yesterday for a proper demo of the philips and was blown away!

Comet wanted £3699 - so I have ordered it from unbeatable for £2571 + 99 delivery saving a grand! - it's coming on wednesday so i will post when i get it.

Thanks!

9. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richie, Did you get your Philips set?
    Can I have your thoughts on it as I am considering buying this set, but this forum is just full of negative comments about it.
    If you had the choice again would get the same model or would you go for the Panasonic PA20?

10. xfire

xfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm from Italy. I just bought the 42PF9945/12 in italy (for 2890 euro's). They will deliver the TV to my home next saturday.

I know that the TV includes a lot of special features from Philips for managing pictures, such as:

1. Digital Natural Motion
    2. Dynamic Contrast
    3. DNR
    4. Colour Enhancement
    5. Active Control

Which are the same as 9965. The 9945 wrt the 9965 just misses the PixelPlus technology.

Can you post all setting of the TV, together with your considerations and judge about the quality of the picture (depending from the source: TV channel, sat, DVD, ecc...). In this way I could compare your judges with the real setting of the equipment.

I will post my setting and mi opinion next week, as soon as the TV will be installed and switched on.

Bye
    Xfire.

11. markus933

markus933
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,i`ve got the Philips 9965 37`,had it about a month now and have to say on the whole very pleased.Dvd performace is fantastic,and the images deliverd through my freeview box are,on the whole very good as well especially on `in studio` shots.The only faults that i`ve really found are some solarization on skins tones during moving shots and the fact that i forked out for a progresive scan dvd player only to find out it wont work on anything other than the vga port of the screen!Nice,..thanks Philips.How you supposed to feed it that image i have no idea.Most frustrating..a good buy none the less :) ,i bought a graded one off e-bay for £1699 and the service i recieved was exemplery.

12. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got myself a 42PF9966 and DVI@1080i by Denon 1910 is :smashin:
    And this is from a guy who's used to watching his old 36 incher at less than 2 meters. The only real issue with the telly is that when using DVI DNM (digital natural motion/framerate multiplier) seems to be disabled but on the other hand it might not be a bad thing since it seems to be producing a bit of motion dither. Works fine with console games though.

13. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Footy looks great btw. No shadows / motion problems when picture moving so when the players slip and fall they only have themselves to blame :)