Philips plasma without component?

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by noyce, Jan 25, 2008.

1. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I managed to talk my friend into getting himself an XBox 360 and have been telling him for the past few months how good they are. The other night he rang me to say he was having trouble connecting his XBox and didn't know what connections to use.

I went round expecting him to have missed the obvious but to my amazement his Philips 42" plasma has no component or HDMI connection on the back? His TV has the HD Ready logo on the front but I haven't a clue what he's supposed to use?

The connection he does have looks "very much" like an HDMI but it isn't. Any ideas very much appreciated.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Most likely, this philips is just a tiny bit fraudulent, and has a 'shared' HD port, DVI and component into a DVI-A socket. This is an elongated d-shaped socket with 4 bigger slots and I believe 24 small ones, don't bother to count, should be obvious. This is directly compatible with HDMI, except for audio. Somewhere there will be an audio in port for DVI. Unfortunately this is likley to be a 3.5 headphone type jack. A trip to maplins will be needed to buy a 3.5 jack to phono sockets if so. It can be done, it's just a pain in the butt. Did I mention I'm not keen on Philips plasmas?
    Just in case his X box is not an elite, thought I'd better add that in the accessories box there should be a DVI plug with 3 phono sockets, a red, blue and green. Thes will need phono couplers to join them onto the X Box component lead. Audio as above. Did I mention I'm not keen on philips plasmas?

3. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aren't you keen on Philips Plasma's :)

Thanks for the info, and what a strange way to have to do it! I was gobsmacked when I went round to help him set it up. I honestly thought he was being a little "slow" and had completely missed the component connections, good job I didn't give him to much grief beforehand.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Yes, you could have made yourself into a right pratt! Not obvious, good question, other people run into this one, it's good to give it an airing from time to time.