1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips plasma <> with Pixel Plus

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sonofmoth, Mar 27, 2003.

1. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just found this, anyone know if it will be relate to UK models now or in the future ? Interestingly they are listed on the USA website but no mention of the Pixel Plus. Can it be taken as read that they do and so do the UK models ?

"Plasma and Pixel Plus Technology: Offering Consumers The Latest In Television Viewing
    Philips offers consumers the latest in plasma FlatTV technology with models ranging from 32- to 50-inches. Less than four inches deep with a 160-degree viewing angle and an anti-reflective screen, these plasma televisions turn a typical image into a piece of art. Philips new 37-inch plasma FlatTV systems rounds out the award-winning line up that includes the 32- and 42-inch plasma models. The 37PF9945 features a display with 1024 x 1024 resolution, resulting in a sharp, dynamic picture and starts at $ 5,999.

The 42FD9934 and 50FD9955 plasma HDTV monitors incorporate plasma technology with HD-component inputs and an HD display with 1024 x 1024 and 768 x 1365 resolution respectively. Sporting a sophisticated speakerless design, the 42- and 50-inch plasma sets feature a flat, slim and wide design that can be mounted on a wall or placed upright using the optional arched tabletop stand.

When combined with the electronic box (e-box), the 42FD9934 and 50FD9955 feature picture improvement enhancements such as Pixel Plus, Digital Natural Motion, Digital Crystal Clear, and Active Control technology as well as a 3D Y/C digital comb filter. These features ensure the viewer a superior viewing experience. Currently available, the 42FD9934 and 50FD9955 have a suggested retail price of $ 6,999 and $ 10,999, respectively.

Capable of producing more than16 million colors, Philips also offers additional plasma FlatTVs: the 32FD9954 and 42FD9954. Featuring an integrated sound system and a high-resolution screen viewable from nearly any angle and under almost any lighting, these FlatTV systems provide a unique entertainment solution anywhere in the home. The 42-inch models display at 1024 x 1024 resolution and the 32-inch offers 1024 x 852 resolution. The 32FD9954 and 42FD9954 are available and have a suggested retail price of $ 4,999 and $ 6,999 respectively.

With integrated Pixel Plus technology, Philips plasma televisions offer consumers an artistic image in a stylish design. Available in all plasma FlatTV systems with eBox, Philips Pixel Plus technology is a next-generation image-enhancer that creates High Definition-like picture characteristics from any input source such as satellite or cable. Pixel Plus technology provides an incredible viewing experience, without the necessity of a digital signal - any analog signal can be enhanced to show the characteristics of a HD-like picture when using Pixel Plus technology.

The Philips e-box, the size of a typical component box, provides tuning functionality, superior video processing, video inputs and other features. By connecting to the e-box, consumers can utilize the monitor's double window, two-tuner PIP to view two images simultaneously on a split screen. It also eliminates the "spaghetti wire" syndrome, with all video connections routed through the e-box, which can be placed inconspicuously in the room with only a single wire running to the display. The FTR9965 e-box is available for $ 999."

2. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about the validity of any of that,but unless the processing has been greatly improved I wouldn't go anywhere near a plasma(or crt for that matter)with pixel+:rolleyes:

3. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Here's the link :

http://www.bluefi.co.uk/story.php?news=27

It's worth a look because although Phillips has been a bit naff with it's offerings so far especially when you consider the price, the connectivity and features has been second to none in my opinion. Pixel Plus adapted for their Plasma line-up might be a vast improvement on their previous models and as I am still twiddling my thumbs waiting for the Fujitsu 50" with seperate media box to hit our shores I would be interested to take a look at the full spec sheet or even better, an actual viewing of the panel.

4. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    that's where I got it from :clap: :laugh:

When I checked the Philips US website for these models there was no mention of the Pixel Plus technology being used. :(

5. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did some more investigations and suspect that the difference is with the ebox. The ones currently used are the FTR9964 and the pixel plus version will be FTR9965 - as far as I can tell.

6. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had a quick look at the Philips site, and they do have a press release (with a European slant) that has some info on Pixel Plus:

http://www.press.ce.philips.com/press/20030312_cebit_437.html

The relevant bit is:

"Philips will now introduce the Pixel Plus technology in its large and super large screen size Flat TV line up. The high-end plasma Flat TV models are available in a choice of four screen sizes: 32, 37, 42 and 50 inch, all with a separate E-box handling Philips’ innovative Pixel Plus technology. The new models are the 32PF9965, 37PF9965, 42PF9965 and 50PF9965, all featuring the latest high-definition plasma panel technology (1024x852 for 32 inch, 1024x1024 for 37 and 42 inch, 1365x768 for 50 inch)..."

Hope this helps,
    Pixie

7. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure that the 42PF9964 is already Pixel Plus.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...Philips%2042PF9964.pdf+FTR9965&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

(may have some trouble with the link, took me several attempts to get it)

I don't know if this is true of any of the other Plasmas, but the firmware is upgradable on the plasma screen, not sure how you do this though, might be something to do with the serial port with all the connectors on the panel.

I still like my Philips.

8. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pixie

yes, that looks good. Interestingly I found a similar press release in Spanish that was sent in January this year. Hopefully the new Philips catalogue will have them.

Yasa22

I don't know from the link you sent. The Pixie link suggests a 2048 line count. I agree with you though and doubt that the screens have changed much if at all as the Pixel Plus is software driven. Maybe an e:mail to Philips would answer the question on upgradeability.

9. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    make that 2048 pixels per line and 1250 lines :)

10. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had a thought. Somewhere it said about an April launch which may explain why the 9964's have been on special offer with a free DVD recorder or home cinema setup. This ends on 31st March.

The plot thickens :)

11. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yasa22, you could be right although this document only implies it. From the Philips news website

"06.03.2003

Philips Pixel Plus™ award-winning technology now incorporated in the Philips Flat TV range

Demonstrating its leadership in television innovations, Philips announces that it will now include its Pixel Plus technology in the Flat TV range. Pixel Plus technology doubles the horizontal resolution of standard TVs, and increases vertical resolution by a third. The result is amazingly sharp pictures with clear and natural detail for all types of input, from normal TV images and VCRs to DVD. With this technology, Philips has set the new industry-reference picture quality standard. Philips' excellence in picture quality was rewarded by the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA) by winning the prestigious "European TV of the year award 2002-2003" for its TVs with Pixel Plus technology.

Philips is now also including this technology in its Flat TV range, starting with the 32 inch, 42 inch and 50 inch models. Pixel Plus technology has already been introduced in Philips' top-of-the-line Widescreen Matchline Series, the 28, 32 and 36 inch models, as the effects of Pixel Plus are most visible on wider screens. Thanks to the wide range of models in which Pixel Plus is now available and Philips' broad distribution coverage, sets with Pixel Plus technology are now available in 98% of the consumer electronics outlets in Europe.

Best-on-market picture quality
    Pixel Plus technology is completely transforming the way consumers view television. Imagine looking out of a window on a winter afternoon, watching the snowflakes fall gently to the ground, being able to see each flake drift quietly across the sky. Then watching a similar scene on a Flat TV experiencing the same texture of the snowflakes that you saw through the window. Pixel Plus technology provides this incredibly real experience. The Dual Screen function which is fitted to all Philips' Flat TV sets with Pixel Plus clearly demonstrates the benefits of this technology by displaying standard and Pixel Plus images next to each other, allowing consumers to see at-a-glance how effective this technology is.

"By including Pixel Plus technology in our line of Flat TV systems, we enable consumers to enjoy the latest in design with one of the best images available", says Thijs Linthorst, Senior Marketing Manager TV Europe. "You will be amazed once you watch programming with Pixel Plus technology. It will change the way you watch television forever."

An enhanced viewing experience
    Philips Pixel Plus is an advanced digital picture processing technology: from a standard PAL/SECAM or NTSC source, it creates a world-beating picture quality of up to 2048 pixels per line and 1250 lines in total. Philips Pixel Plus technology does more than adding pixels, it also makes the pixels better - more sophisticated - resulting in breathtaking sharp and natural picture. The extra detail of Pixel Plus also improves the distinction between foreground and background, and so increases the perceived picture depth. There is a clear difference for both still and moving images.

Pixel Plus processes incoming TV signals with advanced motion compensation techniques, correcting the reproduction of movement in the picture (Pixel Plus combines uniquely with Philips' industry-reference Digital Natural Motion system). The effects of motion compensation are most noticeable with feature movies, which intrinsically have notoriously juddery motion when shown on TV. The end result is smooth movement reproduction of moving objects on-screen.

Widespread acclaim and awards for Philips Flat TV
    The Philips large-screen gas plasma sets have enjoyed widespread acclaim since the first model was launched in 1997. The 32PF9964 is the winner of the 2001 - 2002 'European Plasma TV of the Year' award from the European Imaging & Sound Association. Describing this model as 'the future of television', EISA cited the set's 'high contrast and sharpness, which guarantees excellent picture quality'. This recognition by EISA follows similar awards for consecutive Flat TV™ models in 1998 and 1999.

Featuring thin profiles and multiple display options, the Flat TV monitors will add to the decor of any room and fit in any location. With a Philips Flat TV monitor, the consumer's viewing experience will be changed for life. "

12. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is Pixel Plus software driven and nothing to do with the hardware? I wonder if you could just buy a new E-box to go with the 9964 screen?

Although, I think the screens are different, as the resolution of the new 32" 9965 is definitely higher than my 32" 9964 (1024x852 for 9965 and 852x480 for 9964).

It's all a bit intriguing!

Yasa22 - glad to hear that you're still pleased with your screen! :D

Pixie

13. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I believe it is. I've got a Pixel Plus CRT and that has a Panasonic tube (one of my gripes about it) so I can't imagine they will do anything special for the plasmas. At the end of the day all it is doing is recreating the picture with more lines. I was reading today that Panasonic are to introduce something similar at the end of this year for their CRT's.

I've fired off an e:mail to Philips to ask whether the 9964's have Pixel Plus and when the 9965's will be available :)

Your question about the Ebox could be one for Philips too. It sounds logical to me.

14. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Yasa22

I checked the original pdf that you linked and also one that I printed off the Philips website. The difference is that the Philips one just says 42" Flat TV Plasma at the top - no mention of Pixel Plus. The curious thing is that the the graphic at the bottom is exactly the same as shows a 42FD9944/01S screen and an E-box FTR9965/12S. The plot thickens even more. Can't wait to see what Philips have to say. Is a 9964 just a 9944 screen with a new E-box and then the 9965 will be a new screen with the same E-box.

Damn, they don't make it easy, do they !?:zonked:

What does it say on the back/front of your E-box and screen ?

15. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    From http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layout=story_stocks&articleid=CA272724

"For plasma display panels, Philips is incorporating the Pixel Plus circuitry into a new external electronic-box (e-box) it uses to house circuitry such as tuners, source inputs and video processing systems.

The e-box (FTR9965, mid-year) will be supplied for 42W-inch 42FD9954 (1,024 by 1,024 pixels) and 50W-inch 50FD9955 (1,365 by 768) MatchLine plasma models. Philips will also carry a 32W-inch 32FD9954 (1,024 by 852 pixels) PDP and in June a new 42W-inch VGA model 42FD9934 (852 by 480 pixels) panel without speakers or tuner."

16. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    http://www.foxgraph.com/Philips/html/50fd9955-2.html

So it's even got DVI input on the panel ! Just need to know whether it'd HDCP compliant and also whether the system accepts a progressive scan (perferably PAL) signal and the real issue.................whether actually has a decent PQ :)

17. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just called Philips to enquire about things.

1. Does the current 9964 series do Pixel Plus.
    No, unfortunately. So that contradicts the plasma-uk.com website. I e:mailed them to ask too.

2. What about the 9965 Ebox. Does this do Pixel Plus
    He didn't know.

3. When are the new models available.
    He knows nothing about specs on anything that might be coming.

4. When is the new catalogue to be released. Assuming that the new models will be in that. I also assumed that the Autumn/Winter 2002/2003 catalogue that I have is the current one.
    The new catalogue will be out around June. (Seems a little late for spring !)

So make of that what you will. I hope to get an e:mail response too that may have more information :rolleyes:

18. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Anybody know ?

19. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Nothing from Philips :(
    Nothing from plasma-uk to justify their pdf that states that the 9964 has Pixel Plus already. :(

20. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just received some news from Philips:

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the 32/37PF9965
    television.

This model should be released later this month (April). The only
    difference between this model and the 32PF9964 is that the 32PF9965 will have Pixel Plus.

So, reading between the lines then the change will be at the Ebox end.

21. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just spotted the new Philips models for sale at Unbeatable.

The 32PF9965 is listed at £2656.99 and the 42PF9965 is £3795.95 (nothing listed for the 37PF9965).

Pixel Plus (Good/Bad - matter of opinion) DNM, Active Control, 4 on board speakers. Not much more detail.

Price compares favourably with the older models (Comet are now shipping out the 32PF9964 for £2500).

22. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe that the 37 incher is out in July. 50" the same time. Don't quote me though :)

23. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    any one got one of the phillips with pixel plus
    &what do you think of it P@T

24. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering to buy my first new plasma and I went to many stores here in Hong Kong. I compared many models side by side hitachi pd42a3000, panasonic 5, fujitsu, pioneer 433hde and new philips with pixel plus 42pf9965 here in hong kong is 42fd9954 with the e-box ftr9965. I picture quality of philips is the best with that pixel plus on, no other plasms tv can match the pq of philips, i just cannot believe how sharp the picture was. I know many people are complaining about the pixel plus problems that maybe on the crt tvs but on this plasma i did not notice any problem at all. The regular tv channels are also the best comparing to other plasma tvs. If you don't believe me go to the store near you and check it out. I am sure you will be amazed by the details of the picture. I am actually looking for a true hd plasma. Philips 9965 is alis panel and progressive panel is available but lower resolution 852x480. So I can't really make up my mind as to which one to buy.

25. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I agree with above post, have seen philips new pixel plus and the picture was excellent. none of the probs with crt are present on plasma. i think plasma was made for pixel plus. A realy defined picture from dvd. NICE

will need to see pio 504, 434 in action first and the philips 50ins model. I woudnt want any alias crap either