Philips plasma repair advice thread

Your not the only person to tell me its a dry joint a guy I work with said the same thing and he said I should pour meths on it to show up the bad joints..

if you continue using it as it is it won't switch on at all (after some days/weeks) or take more time gradually until doesn't switch on at all.... :cool:

however, it can be easier to identify the fault :D

Just discovered this amazing forum, been tearing my hair out (what's left !) about this same problem with my Philips FTR9955/12 TV Receiver and 42FD9945/01.
Same fault: turn the monitor on LED goes green, turn on the receiver, and the monitor clicks and the LED flashes red.
Just taken the back off, but the circuit ref numbers don't match up with the previous information in other reply's.

Any further help or info on the ref numbers or location on the power board would be really helpful.

The item was purchased 3 years 7 months ago.

On another note until I fix my plasma, I now have to watch terestial television on a 20 year old Philips 'Discoverer' 14GR1220 'space helmet', still works a treat !

Many Thanks

Should be the same board, the one I have been looking at was from the same model range, I've just sold the exact same receiver box on eBay :thumbsup:

Pull the board in the middle and take a look at the top right of it.. (holding it with the connectors at the bottom) there should be 3 caps almost in a row..

Hi Mimo,

We currently have our Philips apart in preparation to replace the capacitors, so here's how ours looks...

9964_circuits.jpg

This is from our 32pf9964 (consisting of 32FD9944 flat panel with FTR9964 e-box). We've taken the board out so it's just leaning up against the back of the set at the moment, below where it was taken from.

The close up section shows the capacitors 2662, 2664 and 2663 (from left to right).

I guess as the model numbers of your set are different, there may be differences in the circuitry?

Anyway, hope this helps track them down! :)
Pixie

Looks like the right caps.. is that an LCD version? I've got the 32" LCD too as well as the plasma and it is slightly different inside.

Heres my 2 pence worth...

I had a Philips 42pf7520d that i managed to break - took it in for repair at my local philips service centre and they couldnt fix it!

They said it was most likely the power supply that had 'gone' but they couldnt source another one (from either philips or from another set). Cost me a £60 deposit just to get them to look at it and tell me that!

Ive claimed on the house insurance and now have a 42" panny px70.

Isn't it according to EU law that manufacturers should be able to supply parts for at least 6 years after a model has been out for sale?? :eek:

It is astonishing that they don't have any PSUs!!!!:mad: The most part that is likely to fail in a TV :suicide:

This might seem like a slightly bizarre question, but did anyone have a problem melting the solder to remove the capacitors?

I've bought a soldering iron... http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?D=weller%202015&Nr=AND%28avl%3auk%2csearchDiscon_uk%3aN%29&Ntk=I18NAll&Nty=1&Ntt=weller%202015&Dx=mode%20matchpartial&Ntx=mode%20matchpartial&N=0&name=SiteStandard&forwardingPage=line&R=2328596&callingPage=/jsp/search/search.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0784618956.1193316731@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddmflhmfmfcefeceeldgondhgi.0&cacheID=uknetscape

...and I'm trying out my soldering technique on an old graphics card, just to see how easy it is to remove things, but the iron doesn't seem to melt the solder. Is this soldering iron just wrong for the job??

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm new to this sort of stuff!
Pixie

You have got it plugged in yeah? :D

Seriously though high silver content solder is hard to melt, the graphics card might be soldered with that.

Yeah... checked for the obvious! :eek: :D

I guess it must be silver solder then - it takes absolutely ages to melt. I can only hope that Philips have used crappy solder to go with their crappy capacitors... :devil:

Getting a little better with practice, think it's just newbie nerves!

Thanks Davey!
Pixie

It lives!!!! :D

Thanks to Barbusa for the original instructions, and Davey for answering my questions and the moral support!! :thumbsup:

Can't believe the screen actually works again, turned it on and got a picture straight away.

Had a bit of a mooch on Google, and found out that filing down the tip of the soldering iron can help to conduct the heat better - did this and the iron was MUCH better and melted the solder a lot more easily!

Thanks again to everyone for their help - off now to watch TV!
Pixie

Im having a similar issue to you, ive took the back off the TV (42PF9945/12) but i cant find the capictors im supposed to replace, ive attached some photos can you please tell me which i need to replace

Attachments

• tv.jpg
    tv.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 11,790
  • fullboard.jpg
    fullboard.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 2,658
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 2,635
[davey];5728448 said:
whats under the black cover on the centeral board?

One would find the Logic and AV boards down there :D

Seems like a Samsung panel/Sustain and Power Supply boards to me :thumbsdow

Can you explain your problem in a little more detail?? :confused:

When i try to switch the TV on the power light stays on red and it would click once as if it was switching on then the red light goes off then it does all the above again and again. Checked fuses and stuff on the board

It can be a lot of things ;)

Firstly I would take out the board, check WELL for any visible burnt component, then checking transistors for shorts :hiya:

Ive taken the back off the TV but how do i check a transitor and a capacitor ive got a multimeter but which is the best way to check them and what should i look for, theres no obvious burning on the board and no obvious loose joints. Ive attached some photos of the board taken out of the TV.

Thanks
Jack

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,803
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 1,809
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 1,644
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 1,721
Hi Jack,

The problem does sound the same, but from looking at the boards the layouts are completely different to mine.

I have no idea how you'd go about tracking the problem down, and only managed to fix ours thanks to the advice here, but it sounds like Cammora might be able to help with this?!

When looking for info to find the problem with ours, it looks like Barbusa found the info here... http://www.reviewcentre.com/review_comments238288.html

Not sure if there's any extra info here that would help?

Pixie

Was yours a LCD or a plasma because this is a plasma so will probably be a bit different

Jack

Was yours a LCD or a plasma because this is a plasma so will probably be a bit different

Jack

It's a Philips 32pf9964, consisting of 32FD9944 plasma panel with FTR9964 e-box. I guess it's the different model number of yours making the difference within the layout as Barbusa's instructions were for the same model as mine but bigger screen...

Pixie

My power supply panel looks like this too, it is fitted to a Philips 42FD9945/01 42" plasma panel, although its a Samsung PDP.
At last !
This is the first indication of a similar panel. Any clues as to where 'These dodgy capacitors' are located on this type of board.
Here's hoping this brings me closer to resolving the, what now is seeming to be 'famous flashing red LED' plasma problem.

Mimo G

Amazing that this problem with the Philips 42FD9945/01 occured to all of us this month.
I too am waiting for the solution to the problem (with pictures, please).

Periyamandai

My power supply panel looks like this too, it is fitted to a Philips 42FD9945/01 42" plasma panel, although its a Samsung PDP.
At last !
This is the first indication of a similar panel. Any clues as to where 'These dodgy capacitors' are located on this type of board.
Here's hoping this brings me closer to resolving the, what now is seeming to be 'famous flashing red LED' plasma problem.

Mimo G

Mines similar except the model is 42FD9945/12 hopefully we'll find a solution :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom